AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 - Texting Questions

tmozer

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I am new to texting. Never liked using the little keyboards on past phones or the screen keyboard on my S4. However since it seems to be the best way to contact my kids, I figured I'd better get with it.

I believe the app I am using for texting is the AT&T one. Do I need mobile data turned on to send a text, or will it send with a WiFi connection working?
Is it possible to send a text message using Google Voice? If so, how would I initiate a message or a response to a message?

tmozer

May 29, 2011
Visit site
As usual, I ask first and experiment (or search) next......
Yes, I can text with a WiFi only connection. Yes I can use "OK Google" to send a text to someone, but, unless I am doing it wrong or improperly, it does not work that great for me.

thehoz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this can help, but since you're new to touch screen keyboards, you may want to try the swipe method of typing. Its the only way I type now. The Samsung keyboard does it as well as SwiftKey, swype and the Google keyboard. You can also try hitting the microphone button on your keyboard to use speech to text.

Posted via Android Central App

tmozer

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this can help, but since you're new to touch screen keyboards, you may want to try the swipe method of typing. Its the only way I type now. The Samsung keyboard does it as well as SwiftKey, swype and the Google keyboard. You can also try hitting the microphone button on your keyboard to use speech to text.

OK, being a dummy I have to ask what are the logistics of the "swipe method of typing"?

Also I was trying to put "BGF" (best girl friend) in a message. But no matter what I tried, it was changed to "big". Anyway to force it to keep what I type?

Last edited:

thehoz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
With swipe, you slide your thumb over the letters you want to type for each word. It's quicker for me. It guesses the word you are typing with pretty good accuracy. With SwiftKey, when I type a word that comes out wrong, I can click on it and the keyboard gives me three choices or will make the word. If the right one's not there, I type the regular way. Give SwiftKey a try. There is a free trial, plus it's on sale right now I think.

It seems every keyboard has is own way to predict and correct words.

Posted via Android Central App

infoghost

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
You can shut off the auto-correct, and just have it suggest. Or you can press the arrow in the suggestion box to keep that word. Assuming you are using the default keyboard, and want to shut it off:

Settings>My Device>Language And Input>Gear next to samsung keyboard>Auto Replacement. You can slide this off, and it won't force-correct. If you are not using the default keyboard, it's somewhere in the options there.

OK, being a dummy I have to ask what are the logistics of the "swipe method of typing"?

Also I was trying to put "BGF" (best girl friend) in a message. But no matter what I tried, it was changed to "big". Anyway to force it to keep what I type?

tmozer

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Just purchased SwiftKey on sale for $2. I guess I can uninstall some of the other keyboard apps I have collected......

thomas jackman

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Regarding your question about needing mobile data turned on to text, the simple answer is no you do not need data turned on. But, if you were to send a picture, or even audio, this turns your text from a SMS into a MMS which requires mobile data to send (or even receive a MMS).

Yes, it possible to send a text message using Google Voice. The first time I text someone with Google Voice, I use the Google Voice app. When they reply, it will show up in my default text messaging app with a number different than that of my contacts number. From the default text messaging app, I can reply directly to my contact through my Google Voice number.

To use the Google Voice app I believe you do need data, or at least wi-fi, turned on. But once you switch over to the default text messaging app, you do not need data. The downfall with using Google Voice is the lack of support for sending picture texts.

I hope this reply made sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith