Unread email counter on email Icon

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
For some reason, recently, the unread email counter on the email icon on the home page has become totally unreliable. I will have email indications on the status bar, but when I swipe the unlock screen, the email icon has no digits signifying number of unread emails. At other times, it will show a number, but the number shown has no relationship to reality. In other words, it might show the digit 3 when there are 10 unread emails. I tried emptying the cache but that really didn't do anything. Does anyone have any ideas? This is the stock email app.

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Somewhere along the line the service which keeps that updated was disabled. Its a touchwiz thing a part of the Samsung framework.

Posted via Android Central App

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Any ideas on how to reset it or find the settings which drive touchwiz? The manual doesn't have it in the TOC or index. Thanks.

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Update: Did a factory reset and the counter worked normally for about 10 days and all of a sudden it just quit working again. No settings touched or anything, just all of a sudden it just stopped counting. Nobody has any ideas??? It isn't disastrous, just inconvemient and very frustrating.

PBX-Tech

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
What type of email account, Exchange, personal etc?

Do you sync any other folders other than the inbox? Settings/Account settings/choose account/more settings/Folder sync settings. Just throwing this out there but maybe you have unread emails in a synced folder? Do you delete emails without reading them by checking the box and then trashing them? Maybe the Trash folder has unread emails and thats what the icon is picking up on?

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Is no one else having this problem? I even went to the ATT tech center and they told me it is a bug. I can't believe that answer.

gsparks2

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem. Sometimes the counter never goes below 1 after I have read or marked as read all of the emails. I restart the phone to clear it up. It only happens every few days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Very strange. It worked perfectly until I did the update to 4.3. Now it is just plain erratic. Worked fine for a couple of days after a reset and then it went right back to being erratic and I did the reset twice. The guy at the ATT tech center said it was a known bug. Oh well, I'm used to it now. Just aggravating that they can't get this stuff right because they don't test enough. :-\

AndroidGuy99

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I have/had a similar problem on my Droid Maxx and seems to affect all forms of Android phones. I would post the link to the website but I'm not allowed to yet. Search for "Journey to SQL Authority with Pinal Dave" and his page presents the solution.

The only caveat is that on the newer versions of Android the application that Pinal refers too is now called Badger, but the resolution (choosing to clear data) is still the correct solution.

--Chris

lgodiva

May 8, 2016
Visit site
I have 4.4.4 and the issue still happens for me (I have Droid Maxx). I know this is 1 1/2 years after the last post, but many ppl still have this problem. No solution is definitive for everyone. Does anyone have other ideas?

john nld

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
I switched to K9. A free app. It does lots of things better, and the counter has always been accurate.

That does not answer the question, I have the same problem and replacing the client is not the solution....

What is needed is the ability to reset the counter to zero automatically when all emails are read.

Peter Blum

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Had this problem on Droid Turbo. Solution was very simple. It turned out that not all email accounts were being shown. But the counter included those not shown. Just had to change to "combined view" (using the drop down menu on the Inbox page) and all the counted but un-displayed emails showed up - deleted them and counter returned to zero (blank). Hope it works for you too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12