To Root or Not to Root

lasooner

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a friend that can root my unlocked S4 but I'm not sure if I should do it. It would be nice to dump the unwanted programs ATT shoved down my throat. The phone is a little laggy but otherwise ok. I still have plenty of room for more apps.

Are there any benefits to rooting for the non-power user, average Joe?

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I would root. It's worth it. Like you said. You can get rid of all the bloat. Some roms are better than others. Some have killer performance and some have great battery life. You can switch between stock android or keep touch wiz.. It takes the lag out for sure. If you like the samsung features I'd run a stock rom or a custom rom. . Once you root u will always have the latest updates if the devs work on it.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I have never rooted a phone before, well the Palm Prē but that wasn't rooting per se.

Can rooting be beneficial, yes, definitely.

Now having said that, I'm a medium to heavy user and I haven't felt the need to root my Galaxy S4. Samsung is pretty good at updating their phones.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

xamadeix

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Depends. If your on MF3 or MK2 forget it. No custom recovery is available for mf3 or mk2.. im certainly dying for some stock android goodness.

Posted via 1337.

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Depends. If your on MF3 or MK2 forget it. No custom recovery is available for mf3 or mk2.. im certainly dying for some stock android goodness.

Posted via 1337.
Safestrap... Can flash to stock slot, backup, and restore from/to it. Just no custom kernel. Google play edition 4.2.2 runs fine with safestrap and MF3 kernel modules, closest to AOSP experience you will get on a locked bootloader and the stock kernel.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Trust me its not that hard found a good script on xda but if you dont know what your doing please read and understand the wrisk

from my wonderfully rooted gs4 woot

Attachments

• 1389790297010.jpg
    1389790297010.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 28

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
oh really??

I think he says forget it because its not good for inexperienced people to be messing around with root access with a locked bootloader. There is no unlocked bootloader to install custom recoveries, thus if they screw up, they have to reflash a stock tarred image with odin and begin all over again from 0.

But, it just happens safestrap allows you to manage the stock ROM slot, being possible to backup and restore system and data.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I think he says forget it because its not good for inexperienced people to be messing around with root access with a locked bootloader. There is no unlocked bootloader to install custom recoveries, thus if they screw up, they have to reflash a stock tarred image with odin and begin all over again from 0.

That's what I think he meant. I could be wrong though! 😉

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yea i was referring to safe strap i just need to get a rom slot active but it seems i simply dont have enough memory for default slot partitions??? The rom i want to flash says leave it default size so idk im gonna talk to the dev and see what i can do but its highly alpha atm but hes looking into a way to down grade to a 2.2 version where the boot liader can be unlocked :)

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm running the venom rom I just got this off of the first run ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1390082956366.jpg
    1390082956366.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 19

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Good, but I can get that off my unrooted GS4 too sometimes. Still good thought! 👍😊

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
If you're going to root please know that there are only a few benefits and that most devices no days offer so much stuff root might not even be needed in your situation, however if you are going to root make sure you back up all important info before you try other roms or start the rooting process.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yup but I've been rooted since cupcake it's second nature to me I remember when cwm came out and it was orange

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone help me root the boost HTC one sv is there a quicker way to root then using computer

Sent from my C525c using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forums!

I don't think there's another way. But for better assistance try the forum for that phone.
Good luck and may the Force be with you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084