How can I make sure contacts are synced to my Google account?

House seller

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I just got an S4 after 6 years on Blackberries, so I'm going to have many dumb questions!!! I see that when I enter a new contact or add info to an existing contact on Google on my PC it automatically adds the changes to my phone. Is there also a way to get a contact that's on my phone to go to Google on my PC?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
all contacts added on Phone will sync with Google Gmail automagically and vice versa. just make sure you that new Contacts entered on phone are saving by default to your Google Gmail account and not Internal (local Phone storage).

good luck.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely. When you add new contacts to the phone, you should be able to select the account to associate the new contact with. Select the account that your other contacts are stored with, and you'll be good to go. If the contacts currently on your phone are not associate with a Google account, follow these steps:

1. Open the Google Contacts desktop site.
  2. On your phone, any contacts you can identify as unassociated with your Google Account (i.e. local contacts, SIM contacts) should be added using the desktop site you have open.
  3. At this point, I would go through and remove or delete as many of these unassociated contacts as you can.

You should also be able to export your local contacts or SIM contacts to a file (likely a .VCF file), transfer that file to your computer, and import that using the tools on the Google Contacts desktop site. For what it's worth, here's the basic process for inspecting and modifying your contacts from the Google Contacts desktop site:

1. Export a CSV (comma-seperated value) file from the Google Contacts site.
  2. Edit the CSV in Excel (or similar spreadsheet application) to remove unnecessary or otherwise unwanted fields, correct errors and abnormalities, unify formatting, and add missing entries.
  3. Delete all contacts on the Google Contacts page, and either perform a manual sync on your devices or allow a brief period for changes to propagate to them.
  4. Import the modified CSV file to Google Contacts, and let it sync to your devices.

Last edited:

Ronnie Colton

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
With my S5 they didn't do it automatically. I went to the contacts app on my phone and clicked merge accounts in the settings list on the top right (settings list looks like three vertical dots).

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad