4.3 Galaxy S4 EATING storage

d1nman

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
New here, haven't ever really been on a phone forum, im on a few truck forums but finally decided to get on here to get some help. So heres the story.
Switched to android after having two replacement iPhone 5's from launch day. One would die in about 2 hours and the other one stopped loading pages except for when wifi was available. The third one did the same so and ate storage, 32gb iPhone 5 with a full restore and wiped everything off and it only had 11gb. So i was fed up with it and heard good about the GS4 and got it in about the middle of May. Phone was great, never had a problem. Used nova launcher, have some stuff like dashclock installed, etc. So now, i have only like 200mb of storage left. Phone says "storage space running out" in notifications, has for weeks and i literally cannot delete enough for it to go away. I also have a 32gb memory card. I have downloaded the clean master app or whatever it is, tried resetting cache or whatever, no luck. Phone says i have 10gb of apps when mainly i have SnapSave (2.1gb, moved to SD card), Textra (2gb), twitter, facebook, instagram, tumblr, Hill climb racing, candy crush, and flappy birds. There is no possible way my apps are adding up to 10gb. Most of my photos are on my SD card, phone only registers like 1gb of photos and 5mb of audio (yes 5mb). Any help would be appreciated as i use my phone all the time getting calls on repairs (i repair/customize phones), most of my calls drop or dont even come through. Even though i have 200mb free somehow it will get eaten up by the end of the day and be down to like 20mb, then the phone is basically rendered useless, says not enough space to open camera or gallery, wont send MMS, wont load internet pages.... etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: 4.3 Galaxy s4 EATING storage

New here, haven't ever really been on a phone forum, im on a few truck forums but finally decided to get on here to get some help. So heres the story.
Switched to android after having two replacement iPhone 5's from launch day. One would die in about 2 hours and the other one stopped loading pages except for when wifi was available. The third one did the same so and ate storage, 32gb iPhone 5 with a full restore and wiped everything off and it only had 11gb. So i was fed up with it and heard good about the GS4 and got it in about the middle of May. Phone was great, never had a problem. Used nova launcher, have some stuff like dashclock installed, etc. So now, i have only like 200mb of storage left. Phone says "storage space running out" in notifications, has for weeks and i literally cannot delete enough for it to go away. I also have a 32gb memory card. I have downloaded the clean master app or whatever it is, tried resetting cache or whatever, no luck. Phone says i have 10gb of apps when mainly i have SnapSave (2.1gb, moved to SD card), Textra (2gb), twitter, facebook, instagram, tumblr, Hill climb racing, candy crush, and flappy birds. There is no possible way my apps are adding up to 10gb. Most of my photos are on my SD card, phone only registers like 1gb of photos and 5mb of audio (yes 5mb). Any help would be appreciated as i use my phone all the time getting calls on repairs (i repair/customize phones), most of my calls drop or dont even come through. Even though i have 200mb free somehow it will get eaten up by the end of the day and be down to like 20mb, then the phone is basically rendered useless, says not enough space to open camera or gallery, wont send MMS, wont load internet pages.... etc.

Welcome to the forums.
I would suggest cleaning the device. Wipe the device of old text and MMS messages. Pull any photos you don't need off your phone and send them to your PC. I would also advise a cache clear. Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html Follow directions for the S3.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

Yea it sucks with a 16 gig model and the way they implemented it with the memory cards go to your apps manager and move as much stuff to the SD card as possible

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

d1nman

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site

Literally don't have enough storage to install it.... Can't even open my photos anymore without saying insufficient storage. And that's after eliminating about 800 photos, leaving about 100

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Looking at the app size of SnapSave and Textra in Google Play versus the size you're reporting, those apps are storing a LOT of data. Like Golfdriver says you really need to clean out some messages from Textra. I'm not familiar with SnapSave but it looks like it stores images? If so, those images may well be stored on your internal memory and not the SD card. If that's the case you should see if you can move them to the SD. You should also make sure any images taken with your camera are being stored on the SD card as well, it should automatically choose the SD when you have one installed in the phone. Are all your other images on the SD card (the 800 or so you talked about)? If they are that should not have any effect on your memory issues unless your 32gb SD card is full too. As for your images there is a easier way to handle them than putting them on your phone or SD card If they exist on your computer. Download Picasa to your computer, it's free. Import your images and videos into Picasa, very easy to do. Once you have them in Picasa and sorted / arranged the way you want them, you can upload them to Picasa web albums. Set the web albums to "private" so only you can view them. Once that is done, open the Gallery app on your phone, tap the capacitive menu button, select "content to display" , and choose "content in Picasa". Then all your photos are there for you and synced with your computer not stored on your phone. I use this method and sync over 5,000 photos this way with little to no impact on my phones memory. I also use Google Music to sync my music in a similar fashion. This is a very efficient way of having your media available to you without having to keep the files on the phone.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

This is why I rooted and my default storage is my SD card XD

d1nman

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site

Yes textra and Snapsave seem to take up the most. I have deleted most all of my conversations that have a lot of pictures or group messages. That freed up about 500mb. Snapsave is like snapchat but you can save people's picture without them knowing. I have about 400 or more pictures saved, but they were all recently moved to my SD card. I have about 14gb on my SD card right now I think, the only pictures remaining on my internal memory are Instagram videos and vines

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

Are you on a custom rom? In safe strap?? You must know that with safestrap rom slot is only 8 (half) of your memory in a partition rite?

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

Moving to sd card can only do so much. Applications sometimes also create "data" folders in the internal user storage ("sdcard0/Android" or "emulated/0/Android") and also create their own folders at the root of the internal user storage where they store temp files, or thumbnails caches, or databases. Moving an app to the external sd card only moves the apk, not whatever garbage they create after they launch. Not to mention, considering the amount of pictures you may have had stored, your gallery thumbnail cache can also be huge.

In other words, its not 2.1 gb that you moved to the external sd, its only whatever the apk size is, which is probably in the range of 10-20mb for an application of that type. The rest of the size will be at the data partition, data/data or in the Android folder of the internal user storage, and you can't move them to the external sd (without using non-conventional means). Also, remember that the internal user storage and app storage are shared. If you have a lot of videos they the internal space, they will take out storage for apps and vice versa. And as metle geek suggested, if you are even on safestrap with an extra rom slot (not using stock slot), that removes available space for apps or user files as the extra slot is created in the data partition, not system.

I would say, if you have root access, run something like sdmaid and check the android folder and subfolders data and obb in the internal user storage (sdcard0). Sdmaid usually does a pretty good job at cleaning a lot of stuff on the system, app and a user storage when configured correctly, though I don't know the limitations of the free version as I use pro. You can also clear the data of the apps in the application manager to see if it helps, though that will reset their settings. If it doesn't, then the data is stored in the internal user storage.

Judging by the apps you posted, its an app-related issue and not phone or android issue. These apps like to create a lot of cache files and fail to maintain efficiency by not cleaning after themselves and within a few weeks, they are massive monsters of wasted bytes. The worst part, is that its their behavior, they also do the same crap on iOS and is epically annoying.

Last edited:

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

I just use root explorers and e's file manager to manually go in and find the hidden sub folders and clean them also watch your browser history if text and call logs are extremely important what you can do is use an application called sis backup and restore and call log back up and restore they are free all you do is back up your call logs and text you can set the store path to the SD card and back them up then delete all of your text off your internal and boom they're backed up!! When you need them you can simply press restore and it will merge all of your backed up text with the internal

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

Try es file explorer and go to 5 he menu and find show hidden folders and you will be able to see it all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463