KitKat issues with AT&T Galaxy S4

sjraman79

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I am also having the same issue. I thought factory reset fixed it. The only quick fix is if my phone is idle i will switch of the location

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Since upgrading my phone bluetooth is basically unusable. The connection drops every few minutes. Is anyone else having this issue? Does anyone know if there any resolutions?

My signal and reception dropped significantly to the point where I would have 50% time without signal in the same areas where I would have had 2% before the update. I even did a factory reset and it did not help. I am using a different phone now and will wait for the S5 or HTC.

EndyMX

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm having issues with the Home button, a big lag. When I'm on one of my other screens and I click the home button, nothing happens on the first try. I have to click it again to actually jump to my home screen.
Code:
I only observed this issue after the update (a couple of days ago), after reading some of the comments here I turned off GPS and the problem dissapeared, I've turned it back on and the phone is working fine.

The only other issue I observe is the Wi-Fi signal, is pretty low being in an office with a wide range where you have signal almost everywhere and really high. Besides that, I haven't noted any other issues.

About the battery life, I haven't noted any improvement but it is definitely not being drained.
I have an american S4 in Mexico on the IUSACELL network.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello
I was wondering if anyone else has this issue. I updated my AT&T Galaxy A4 last night to 4.4.2. Now I have a very sever lag and phone locks up. It appears to be from the GPS. GPS just keeps searching and lags out the phone. If I shut GPS off phone works great. The only other thing is battery seems to drain twice as fast. I thought 4.4.2 was going to improve battery life not drain it.

I have reset phone to factory and reloaded all apps. It is still the same. As long as GPS is off phone is very quick. Otherwise every thing else works fine.

Hey Bob, I am not an AT&T customer, but I did just upgrade to KitKat on my S4 with Telus in Canada, and I am getting the EXACT issue you speak of regarding the GPS constantly searching for a signal and lagging out my phone, had to turn it off, the one time I had to use GPS, it was so bad it shut my phone down, crashed it and the only way to get it back on was a battery pull.
Have you done a factory reset? And if so did that correct the GPS issue??

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm with Telus and am getting the same problem with the GPS... Also, i use the Sview Cover & the home button no longer turns it on.
Can u let me know if theres a fix for any of this.
Thanks

JLTEEXO

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Update to 4.4.2 since yesterday and it got my s4 screen black out like as if it was in a coma. I still could swipe on the black screen and it would make the unlock sound, turn the volume up and down, my menu and back button would light up but no response from the screen. I had to take my battery off and everything was normal again... Happen twice :/ didn't experience any of this before the update..

I'm with videotron btw. Canada.

Posted via Android Central App

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello
I was wondering if anyone else has this issue. I updated my AT&T Galaxy A4 last night to 4.4.2. Now I have a very sever lag and phone locks up. It appears to be from the GPS. GPS just keeps searching and lags out the phone. If I shut GPS off phone works great. The only other thing is battery seems to drain twice as fast. I thought 4.4.2 was going to improve battery life not drain it.

I have reset phone to factory and reloaded all apps. It is still the same. As long as GPS is off phone is very quick. Otherwise every thing else works fine.

Bob! As for the GPS issue another member "RichardHewlett" has determined it MAY be that you have Transparent Weather installed. He, myself and you have all the same issues, and Richard and I both have Transparent Weather Install. Just go into it's settings and turn off the GPS Location check box. And not to pun...But BOB'S YOUR UNCLE :) Problem solved!

Roy Vincent

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I am having just the opposite issue, my battery life has dropped to nothing. I have two phones and use my S4 little during the day and at the end of the workday even though it mostly sits there and I might answer a few text it is dead. it use to at the end of the day still have almost 80% life left. Is anyone else see this issue. I have not added any new programs that would cause this.

Thanks

bobmurray1212

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I just did the factory reset about 3 days ago. Phone is back to normal. Gas is fixed. No lag. Battery is still the same. The first day after the restore it seemed to take forever to charge but that only lasted 24 hours. Not much different elsewhere with 4.4.2 from 4.3. Touch wiz still the same. Did not get the new dialer.phone seems quicker now

sho50

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
KitKat 4.4.2 update ruins SD card usage!!

This is absolutely insane & totally unacceptable! It is now impossible to directly modify anything stored on the SD card, or write anything new directly to the SD card. Only the built-in file "move" function still works. And this is supposed to be an upgrade?? Bull****!

The only work around for modifying a saved file, short of rooting and modifying system files, is to:

1. copy the file you want to modify,
2. paste it into a new file in main memory with a file-writing app (e.g., FX),
3. make the modifications,
4. save on the device storage with a different name than the original,
5. then use the "move" function to move the modified file back to the SD card,
6. delete the old file,
7. and, finally, rename the newly moved file as desired.

Seven steps to do what used to take one: a RIDICULOUSLY convoluted hassle!

Google Android: FIX THIS **** IMMEDIATELY!! Call it Android 4.4.3... (and, perhaps nickname it "OurBad"!)

Else, enjoy a lot of flak, a lot of negative reviews, a lot of lost business... And, even, some class action lawsuits.

Google, stop foisting (pushing) buggy beta "updates" on your customers!

Also, AT&T: Stop being a patsy for pushing Google's detritus. If Google continues to drag its feet on this issue, can you provide a way to backtrack to 4.2? All those promised "perks" of 4.4.2 are useless if basic file management no longer works!

ceejerina

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Update to 4.4.2 since yesterday and it got my s4 screen black out like as if it was in a coma. I still could swipe on the black screen and it would make the unlock sound, turn the volume up and down, my menu and back button would light up but no response from the screen. I had to take my battery off and everything was normal again... Happen twice :/ didn't experience any of this before the update..

I'm with videotron btw. Canada.

I'm having the same issue. My power button won't wake the screen. Sometimes it does actually wake the screen, but it doesn't show the images. Other times the screen wakes but the clock doesn't come up. A lot of people on other forums say to turn the GPS off, but I never turn it on. Anyone know of a fix?

My battery is also screwed. It drains so fast and takes more than 5 hours to charge.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
KitKat 4.4.2 update ruins SD card usage!!

This is absolutely insane & totally unacceptable! It is now impossible to directly modify anything stored on the SD card, or write anything new directly to the SD card. Only the built-in file "move" function still works. And this is supposed to be an upgrade?? Bull****!

The only work around for modifying a saved file, short of rooting and modifying system files, is to:

1. copy the file you want to modify,
2. paste it into a new file in main memory with a file-writing app (e.g., FX),
3. make the modifications,
4. save on the device storage with a different name than the original,
5. then use the "move" function to move the modified file back to the SD card,
6. delete the old file,
7. and, finally, rename the newly moved file as desired.

Seven steps to do what used to take one: a RIDICULOUSLY convoluted hassle!

Google Android: FIX THIS **** IMMEDIATELY!! Call it Android 4.4.3... (and, perhaps nickname it "OurBad"!)

Else, enjoy a lot of flak, a lot of negative reviews, a lot of lost business... And, even, some class action lawsuits.

Google, stop foisting (pushing) buggy beta "updates" on your customers!

Also, AT&T: Stop being a patsy for pushing Google's detritus. If Google continues to drag its feet on this issue, can you provide a way to backtrack to 4.2? All those promised "perks" of 4.4.2 are useless if basic file management no longer works!

Dude google is psasing out external memory why do you think the last 2 nexus phones and devices past the galaxy neus dont have external sd cards in the next interation it will be like apple no sd cards period they do make a legitimate point as to why they took this road as most users and read and write rites of sd cards tend to corrupt and you get corrupted pics videos and I mostly blame bad manufacturing of micro sd cards or improperly formatted memory or even the users themselves not fully understanding google has basically ssid enough garbage and is punishing the good for the bad (not to mention their vested interest in cloud data) but thats a nother story my point is the different classifications of sd gb sizes and user ignorance or simply buggy apps has triggered an auto immune type of response instead of trying to fix it (more complicated than it sounds) they basically just said no abd are trying to purge the cancer before it spreads

must have unlocked boot loaders!!

hughwpage

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I updated to 4.4.2 about a week ago and my battery life has been BETTER! But, the "Enable Widgets" in the Security Settings is not there so I can't add a lock screen widget. Any ideas?

MYkillerzs Mike

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I have the same but worse problem. my battery is swelling and affects the screen too. after the kitkat upgrade. done everything but failed. returned it to the store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs