KitKat issues with AT&T Galaxy S4

bobmurray1212

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello
I was wondering if anyone else has this issue. I updated my AT&T Galaxy A4 last night to 4.4.2. Now I have a very sever lag and phone locks up. It appears to be from the GPS. GPS just keeps searching and lags out the phone. If I shut GPS off phone works great. The only other thing is battery seems to drain twice as fast. I thought 4.4.2 was going to improve battery life not drain it.

I have reset phone to factory and reloaded all apps. It is still the same. As long as GPS is off phone is very quick. Otherwise every thing else works fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

tmozer

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Kit Kat issues with S4

Actually after my first (almost) full day with Kit Kat, I find the battery life to be better. Usually I am at 65% or lower by this time of the day. My battery is currently at 82%.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I installed the update last night and didn't have any immediate problems at all. It retained my location services settings and the touch response seemed a little zippier. I miss the green color on the battery icon at the top - what is this white about?? I used to judge my life at a quick glance by seeing if it was green or yellow. Over the course of a day or more I will see what the battery life is like, I ended the day yesterday at 50% and haven't turned it on yet this morning.

CarlosSW

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I updated my Samsung Galaxy S4 yesterday and have had nothing but problems...turning this great phone into a very pretty brick like device. 1)my battery life is horrid, 2)i can no longer save anything to my micro SD card 3)the phone overall is very sluggish (which it shouldnt be since there seams to be more RAM available then before) I contacted samsung (live chat) and was told to do a wipe of the cache partition. Did that. Nothing different. Was then told to do a factory reset and wipe the phone. I SO DONT....want to do that unless i really have to. Does anyone have any suggestions...ive heard on other forums that when carriers send software updates the usually send 2-3 updates afterwards to fix bugs. Is that BS, or truth?

bobmurray1212

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I saw that with the 4.3 update but never had a problem with the first update. several weeks later another update came in. As long as I shut the GPS off phone is faster and memory seems to have better management. Battery drain after 48 hours still not good. Not sure why some phones have issues and other don't. My SD card is still working without problems. 1 app (all in one tools) no longer worked well. I switch to clean sweep and that works fine.
Also note I did the factory reset and the lag and battery issue are still there.

speed13

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I haven't noticed any issues so far and I hope will stay that way. I installed this morning and I have not tested the battery life. I will need few days in order to post some update regarding battery life. My phone is more responsive and looking zipper

Sent from my Galaxy S4 White - using Tapatalk

CarlosSW

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I did a factory reset...took me a long time to get all my apps back the way i had them...and..^#$@@!!! nothings different. Slow...sluggish. Just great

stevo82

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
After the update I noticed I was getting texts late, sometimes up to an hour after the person had sent it. Also Skype would shut down if I clicked the home button while on a call. These problems seem to have fixed themselves after a couple of battery pulls. I do notice now that if I have a missed notification and I move the phone in addition to the vibration to alert me the screen now also wakes up. I dont mind the vibration but I dont want the screen turning on. Anyone else's phone doing this?

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
truth, that is why the carriers hold the updates to test for bugs before releasing to their customers to prevent multiple OTA updates because it jams their bandwidth. With the pressures of T-moblie and Sprint releasing the recent updates so quickly the pressure is on for carriers to release updates sooner thus allowing more bugs to sneak through.

Regarding battery life my wife bought an extra battery and charger for it as a bundle on Amazon. When her battery runs out she just switches it out for a full one. Most days though she doesn't need the extra battery. Also, her gs4 is not slow at all. It moves along quickly switching between apps and performing normal tasks. The SD card may be your issue. I would copy the data onto a computer then put the sd card back in the phone and wipe it (reformat) through the phone options. That may help with the lag. Also, if you create a phone back up a factory reset isn't much hassle at all. KiesAir

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Battery sucks now, HAVE to turn on gps for the weather widget to update, lag, text notification sounds don't play, I think it's safe to say it crapped the bed with this update in may case. I knew I should have waited too. Ah well, my phone update in July will fix it. 😤

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
You don't have to turn on the freaking gas for the weather widget it should be databased

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

mandoman28

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Battery sucks now, HAVE to turn on gps for the weather widget to update, lag, text notification sounds don't play, I think it's safe to say it crapped the bed with this update in may case. I knew I should have waited too. Ah well, my phone update in July will fix it. ��

Not sure what weather app you are using, I use Weather Bug and it has the network based feature. I don't use the GPS at all, only for Navigation.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I am not having any of these problems! My battery life is great. I did find recently that my GPS struggles to get a connection when inside some buildings and if I turn it off the battery does well. I have enabled Google location services but not wifi location services, and keep wifi off most of the time and I do great.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I am not having any of these problems! My battery life is great. I did find recently that my GPS struggles to get a connection when inside some buildings and if I turn it off the battery does well. I have enabled Google location services but not wifi location services, and keep wifi off most of the time and I do great.

what about the SD card do you so ha e apps o it and can it read them fine just not write to it any more. I am wondering because my gf has the S4 and I do t want to mess her phone her phone up with a update.

Posted via Android Central App

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I did a few quick tests and I cannot write to the SD card with third party apps. My FX file manager can't move files anymore, but I can move files to the SD card with My Files. There are ways to do the things I want to do but this might be annoying depending on what apps you use a lot.

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned but using battery monitoring apps like BetterBatteryStats or WakelockDectector which i like to refer to when an app goes rogue none of these work on the stock rom they require root access to run. I have a nasty wakelock on another device running 4.4.2 and it these apps are usless now. I dont want to root either of my devices any suggestions??

Sent from my Awesome S4

Rick Jochum

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
So far battery lasts about 4 hours (was getting atleast 8) ... cant keep a wifi connection (weak signal) ... web browsing doesn't exist (proxy issues) .... famous last words " I should have waited!"

Also had the AT&T in store "rocket scientist" tell me that I'll have to live with it till the patches come out, you all know they issue several patches to fix the upgrades!! Sorry to any Real Rocket Scientists.

Last edited:

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
So far battery lasts about 4 hours (was getting atleast 8) ... cant keep a wifi connection (weak signal) ... web browsing doesn't exist (proxy issues) .... famous last words " I should have waited!"

Also had the AT&T in store "rocket scientist" tell me that I'll have to live with it till the patches come out, you all know they issue several patches to fix the upgrades!! Sorry to any Real Rocket Scientists.

Lmfao they only do that 6 or 12 months later when it's no longer relevant after most sheeple moved to a different phone its engineered to drive you insane so they can push the next plan and exploit you so they can steal your wallet locked boot loaders proprietary software removal of data plans that make sense bs customer support the writings on the walls connect the dots the plot and conspiracy thickens

must have unlocked boot loaders!!