Galaxy S4: Native Messaging App Not Working

Brad2173

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday, while trying to message a picture using the native Messaging app, the app became very slow and eventually froze. I switched to GoSMS Pro and it froze as well. Every time I opened either app, they would freeze once I attempted to send a message. This got progressively worse and both apps began freezing upon opening and locking up my phone until a notification saying the app had stopped working popped up. Attempting to remedy this, I uninstalled GoSMS Pro and cleared the cache and data from the Messaging app. The problem persisted. I then did a soft reset, but no change. I tried using Google Hangouts and it froze as well. Eventually Google Hangouts started working. However, simply opening the native Messaging app would it to freeze and stop working. I decided to live with out the native app and simply use Hangouts. Everything worked fine, until this afternoon. I sent a text from Hangouts and it did not appear to send, so tried again. Nothing. The app did not freeze or stop, it just would not recognize that I was trying to send a message. So, I opened Messaging to try and send the text. Big mistake. The freezing began all over again. Both apps would not even open. They would simply begin to open, freeze, and then after locking up my phone for about 5 minutes, I would get the notification saying that the app had stopped. Suddenly, about two hours later, Hangouts began working again. Messaging is still a death trap. Any idea what might be wrong and how I can fix this problem? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Brad2173

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Native Messaging App Not Working

Wow, 173 views and no replies. Sounds like this might be an unheard of problem. Just my luck.

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

I have had trouble lately with the native message app also. When I open it after about a few seconds it says " messaging has unexpectedly stopped". I used hangouts until it started to not download MMS messages. All it says is Verizon MMS then size and date of message in italics.

Posted via Android Central App

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

I have had trouble lately with the native message app also. When I open it after about a few seconds it says " messaging has unexpectedly stopped". I used hangouts until it started to not download MMS messages. All it says is Verizon MMS then size and date of message in italics.

Posted via Android Central App

OK were you low on storage? It won't show large messeges such as media messeges when it's low on storage and when it gets too low hangouts won't show text at all

must have unlocked boot loaders!!

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday, while trying to message a picture using the native Messaging app, the app became very slow and eventually froze. I switched to GoSMS Pro and it froze as well. Every time I opened either app, they would freeze once I attempted to send a message. This got progressively worse and both apps began freezing upon opening and locking up my phone until a notification saying the app had stopped working popped up. Attempting to remedy this, I uninstalled GoSMS Pro and cleared the cache and data from the Messaging app. The problem persisted. I then did a soft reset, but no change. I tried using Google Hangouts and it froze as well. Eventually Google Hangouts started working. However, simply opening the native Messaging app would it to freeze and stop working. I decided to live with out the native app and simply use Hangouts. Everything worked fine, until this afternoon. I sent a text from Hangouts and it did not appear to send, so tried again. Nothing. The app did not freeze or stop, it just would not recognize that I was trying to send a message. So, I opened Messaging to try and send the text. Big mistake. The freezing began all over again. Both apps would not even open. They would simply begin to open, freeze, and then after locking up my phone for about 5 minutes, I would get the notification saying that the app had stopped. Suddenly, about two hours later, Hangouts began working again. Messaging is still a death trap. Any idea what might be wrong and how I can fix this problem? Thanks in advance!

Personally I think the stock app stinks I use hang outs almost exclusively did you recent ally upgrade to 4 4 2?

must have unlocked boot loaders!!

nra_luke

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I personally use the hangouts exclusively as well. I've fallen in love with it. My favorite part of the interface is the emojis. SwiftKey doesn't have them... It sucks.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz