Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help me root my AT&T Galaxy S4, MK2, I337

Can anyone help me root my Galaxy S4, ATT, MK2, I337?

I have no idea how to find a method that can be trusted to steer me away from bricking my phone.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-09-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Default Re: Help me root my AT&T Galaxy S4, MK2, I337

Go to XDA and look for mk2 safe root

must have unlocked boot loaders!!

Global Posts
    8,157 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by dt-100 View Post
    Can anyone help me root my Galaxy S4, ATT, MK2, I337?

I have no idea how to find a method that can be trusted to steer me away from bricking my phone.
    Welcome to AC
    Here's a link to the method mentioned above
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2565758

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thank you so much!
    Now when people brick their phone, what is usually the issue? Is there a chance I may screw this up?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Just reading through the first 7 pages of that thread, I may have counted 1 person that was successful with that method, whereas everyone else failed.

Global Posts
    8,157 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Thank you so much!
    Now when people brick their phone, what is usually the issue? Is there a chance I may screw this up?
    Usually not following the instructions correctly or using a method not for their phone.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

anyone with similar specs mind commenting if this worked for them?

anyone with similar specs mind commenting if this worked for them?
    I've got the exact same phone as you. Rooted fine the first time on MK2. Broke the screen and had the phone replaced. Upgraded to MK2 and rooted successfully a second time. And I am referring to the method the gentlemen above have directed you to.

Posted via Android Central App

The safe root doesn't trip knox I'm fully rooted

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Gonna give it a go... Where do I download this saferoot.zip?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Doesn't work. I have all the usb drivers downloaded, but the install.bat doesn't read my phone
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Any views on apps now?

I got the titanium, as I want to remove bloatware. anything else you all suggest?

Global Posts
    8,157 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Any views on apps now?

I got the titanium, as I want to remove bloatware. anything else you all suggest?
    Sorry for the late reply. Glad you got it working
    I'd also recommend using the Xposed framework if you want to customize your phone without having to flash custom ROMs

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I have a problem: I deleted some stock apps and now my sms texting isnt working. I didn't know I had to back up anything before i did this? Can someone help?

Global Posts
    8,157 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I have a problem: I deleted some stock apps and now my sms texting isnt working. I didn't know I had to back up anything before i did this? Can someone help?
    If you deleted system apps, the only way to get them back is to flash stock firmware. If disabled, you should still have option to re-enable.

Golfdriver97 likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

:/
    crap
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I just reset, and I seem to have root access, but titanium doesn't read it. Help??
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Sorry for spamming- im really new to this. I got tianium running again. now my problem is i cant get my contacts synced from any of my gmail accounts

Global Posts
    8,157 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Sorry for spamming- im really new to this. I got tianium running again. now my problem is i cant get my contacts synced from any of my gmail accounts
    Factory resetting doesn't affect root. Did you get the messaging app working again?

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I reset. Root is fine. My SMS is not working- I cant send MMS texts. This is incredibly frustrating

Global Posts
    8,157 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I reset. Root is fine. My SMS is not working- I cant send MMS texts. This is incredibly frustrating
    What exactly did you delete with TBU?

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

A couple of the ATT stock apps: driving mode and play and the att maps i think. nothing else

my sms works, but i cant send or receive any mms

From the first post do you have any experience with any of this?

Global Posts
    8,157 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

A couple of the ATT stock apps: driving mode and play and the att maps i think. nothing else

my sms works, but i cant send or receive any mms
    That shouldn't interfere with the SMS/MMS. Do you have good cell signal?

ROOT] Saferoot: Root for VRUEMJ7, MK2, and Android 4.3
    Disclaimer: rooting your phone entails risk. You may brick it, cause it to catch fire, cause it to form the first node in the Skynet network, or otherwise render it inoperable. Please read the directions carefully to ensure that nothing unexpected happens. This rooting tool is as safe as I can make it, but there's never any guarantees.

After a very helpful suggestion from Surge1223, I managed to take an existing root exploit for the Xperia and modify it to work on 4.3 with SELinux enforcing. This installs su, SuperSU, and the necessary support files to enable the root.

This rooting process should work with a wide range of Android devices, particularly those running Linux Kernel before 3.5.5 (which most Android 4.3 ROMs use.) It 's known to work for may GS4 variants and is harmless if it fails to work (no "Warranty Void" flags get set.)

Again, using this WILL NOT set the "Knox Warranty Void" flag.

For a video showing the steps to root, see Tomsgt's awesome work here.
    There's another video from owenbeals here.

Step 1 - setting up the USB drivers
    Before you try using this rooting program, you'll need to have the USB drivers installed for your phone.

The easiest way to do this is to install Samsung Kies. If Kies sees your phone, you're OK for the drivers.
    If you don't have the drivers working, the root installer will hang at "waiting for device..."

Step 2 - Enable USB Debugging
    The second thing you must do is to enable USB debugging on your phone. Go to "Settings", "More...", then "Developer Options".
    If "Developer Options" doesn't appear, then you'll need to enable it - go to "Settings", "More", "About Phone". Scroll down so the "Build Number" is visible, then tap on that several times until developer mode is enabled.

In Developer Options, make sure "USB Debugging" is checkmarked.

Step 3 - Enable USB ADB Access
    Make sure that your computer is allowed to use USB debugging on your phone. To do this, unplug your phone and unlock it. Then, plug in the USB cable.
    If you see an "Alllow USB debugging?" window pop up, tap on the "Always allow from this computer" to check it, then tap OK.
    If you don't see that popup, it's OK, you should be OK to proceed.

That's it for the phone.

Step 4 - Unzip the saferoot.zip
    Then you need to unpack the attached ZIP file somewhere onto your PC.
    You should have the following when done:
    - a file called "install.bat"
    - a file called "install.sh"
    - a folder called "files"

Step 5 - Root your phone
    Double click on the "install.bat" to run the root. It will root and reboot your phone. Once that's done, you're rooted!

If SuperSU asks you to update the su binary, choose the "Normal" method.
    If SuperSU asks you about disabling Knox, allow it.

This exploit will NOT set the Knox Warranty Void flag. It will set the "Custom" flag, but that's nothing to worry about.

While you're running this, you'll need to keep the phone awake and watch both the computer running the rooting script and your phone.
    You shouldn't unplug the phone unless you're prompted by the rooting script. Leave it connected until it's done.

Rooting on Linux and MacOS
    The saferoot script has a copy of adb for MacOS and for Linux included.

To run this root, download and unzip the zip file. Open a shell window, use "cd" to change to the directory where you unpacked the zip, and type "sh ./install.sh". The OS will be detected automatically and the root should run basically as described above.

If the embedded adb fails, you'll need to have the Android Debugging Bridge (adb) installed and configured and on your path. You can test that it's ready by opening a shell (Terminal) window and typing "adb shell". If you get a shell prompt on the phone, type "exit" and you're ready to go.

Notes
    Don't try to download this onto your phone and run it from there. That won't work, at least for the i545 (i.e. running it from the Terminal Emulator app will fail.)

Having troubles getting adb connected? There are several possible causes and solutions.

There are cases where people can't get the connection working unless they toggle the USB connection type from Camera to Media and back. Perhaps that may help getting it to work. Toggling the "Enable USB Debugging" apparently helps in some cases as well.

Others report that using these Samsung USB drivers resolve connectivity issues. Of course, these drivers are for Samsung phones. Install the right stuff for your phone.

Important - please read

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast