Help Downgrading / Rooting my AT&T Galaxy S4 (using 4.4.2)

quitedumb

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone. Excuse my lack of technical jargon because I'm really new to the android stuff in general. I'd like to root my galaxy s4 - it's an AT&T I337 running kitkat 4.4.2 or whatever. As far as I know, there's no existing root method as of yet, so my way around would be to downgrade to 4.2.2 and try to root from there. However, so far I haven't even found a method to do that. Is it possible/how do you downgrade your android version? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. Excuse my lack of technical jargon because I'm really new to the android stuff in general. I'd like to root my galaxy s4 - it's an AT&T I337 running kitkat 4.4.2 or whatever. As far as I know, there's no existing root method as of yet, so my way around would be to downgrade to 4.2.2 and try to root from there. However, so far I haven't even found a method to do that. Is it possible/how do you downgrade your android version? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Welcome to Android Central :)
You can't downgrade your firmware if you're on anything after 4.3
Knox locks the bootloader against firmware downgrades :-\

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

quitedumb

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central :)
You can't downgrade your firmware if you're on anything after 4.3
Knox locks the bootloader against firmware downgrades :-\

Thanks for the warm welcome. And that sucks. Will there be a possible way around it in the future?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the warm welcome. And that sucks. Will there be a possible way around it in the future?

It's been like this since 4.3, and there is still no way to downgrade, but there are root methods for 4.3. I'm sure we'll see one for 4.4.2 in the future

marquitodsdm

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey man, I've also been looking for a way to downgrade to 4.3 or sooner since Kit Kat 4.4.2 on the S4 for the AT&T and Verizon models are completely f***ed. I don't think there's any other way to root your phone and therefore install a custom rom with the bootloader being locked. This recent thread [Q] Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 4.4.2 KitKat Root - Page 3 - xda-developers was like yours and apparently it worked for one of the guys there (links below) so it'll probably work for you! Good luck!
I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM & I337_MK2toNB1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip - xda-developers
[NB1►DOWNGRADE★UPDATE◄MK2] ★ [NB1 FULL ODIN] ★ [Apr.24.2014] - xda-developers