Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help Downgrading / Rooting my AT&T Galaxy S4 (using 4.4.2)

Hi everyone. Excuse my lack of technical jargon because I'm really new to the android stuff in general. I'd like to root my galaxy s4 - it's an AT&T I337 running kitkat 4.4.2 or whatever. As far as I know, there's no existing root method as of yet, so my way around would be to downgrade to 4.2.2 and try to root from there. However, so far I haven't even found a method to do that. Is it possible/how do you downgrade your android version? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Help Downgrading / Rooting my AT&T Galaxy S4 (using 4.4.2)

Quote Originally Posted by quitedumb View Post
    Hi everyone. Excuse my lack of technical jargon because I'm really new to the android stuff in general. I'd like to root my galaxy s4 - it's an AT&T I337 running kitkat 4.4.2 or whatever. As far as I know, there's no existing root method as of yet, so my way around would be to downgrade to 4.2.2 and try to root from there. However, so far I haven't even found a method to do that. Is it possible/how do you downgrade your android version? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    Welcome to Android Central
    You can't downgrade your firmware if you're on anything after 4.3
    Knox locks the bootloader against firmware downgrades

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Welcome to Android Central
    You can't downgrade your firmware if you're on anything after 4.3
    Knox locks the bootloader against firmware downgrades

Thanks for the warm welcome. And that sucks. Will there be a possible way around it in the future?

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by quitedumb View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome. And that sucks. Will there be a possible way around it in the future?
    It's been like this since 4.3, and there is still no way to downgrade, but there are root methods for 4.3. I'm sure we'll see one for 4.4.2 in the future

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Hey man, I've also been looking for a way to downgrade to 4.3 or sooner since Kit Kat 4.4.2 on the S4 for the AT&T and Verizon models are completely f***ed. I don't think there's any other way to root your phone and therefore install a custom rom with the bootloader being locked. This recent thread [Q] Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 4.4.2 KitKat Root - Page 3 - xda-developers was like yours and apparently it worked for one of the guys there (links below) so it'll probably work for you! Good luck!
    I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM & I337_MK2toNB1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip - xda-developers
    [NB1►DOWNGRADE★UPDATE◄MK2] ★ [NB1 FULL ODIN] ★ [Apr.24.2014] - xda-developers