Opting Out of Unlimited Data

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've had unlimited data since AT&T offered data. With AT&T's new plans, I can save a bunch of $$, but I'd lose unlimited data.
My question is: Has anyone ever regretted opting out of there unlimited data????

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How much data do you use in a month (on average)?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well keep in mind that data usage would keep increasing. But also att throttles after 5gb anyway so if you need unthrottled data and a new plan is much cheaper then switching might be worth it.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
How much data do you use in a month (on average)?

That's just it....I went back 6 months & the most I've used is 3gb. I don't stream music or vid's but it seems like I'm always on the web.
I'd be sharing data with 4 others....2 of which are my 19 & 23 y/o dayghters
It makes sense to drop it. I was just wondering if anyone else has dropped theirs & regretted it

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well keep in mind that data usage would keep increasing. But also att throttles after 5gb anyway so if you need unthrottled data and a new plan is much cheaper then switching might be worth it.

Gotcha....I've never even come close to 5gigs. That's why I'm thinking opting out of unlimited is a smart move....
It's just....I've had it for ever. I'm feeling a little weird dumping it....that's why I wanted to ask it anyone else has and regretted it.....

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just remember data usage will keep going up as time goes on. You just have to think if you'll use more.. If you think you'll be fine with a few GB then switch and save the cash. Just be sure.

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Just remember data usage will keep going up as time goes on. You just have to think if you'll use more.. If you think you'll be fine with a few GB then switch and save the cash. Just be sure.

Right....That's why I'm sitting on the fence, here. Even when I was using my rooted GS3 as a wifi hot spot I didn't impede on the 5gig threshold.
I could cut my cell bill in half. I guess what I was hoping to read was "NO, I did it.....and regret it"...
The plan I'm thinking on jumping into is 4 lines sharing 10gigs. My line would be #5. 3 of those lines never even touch 1gig...
Thanks for the input!!!!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Right....That's why I'm sitting on the fence, here. Even when I was using my rooted GS3 as a wifi hot spot I didn't impede on the 5gig threshold.
I could cut my cell bill in half. I guess what I was hoping to read was "NO, I did it.....and regret it"...
The plan I'm thinking on jumping into is 4 lines sharing 10gigs. My line would be #5. 3 of those lines never even touch 1gig...
Thanks for the input!!!!

What plan are you talking about? If it is the mobile share value plan that att advertises for 10gb and 4 lines for $160,keep in mind that that plan does not include subsidies at that price. Meaning you would have to pay full retail ($650 for iphone) or buy used or whatever. You can still get subsidized pricing ($200 iPhone) but you would have to pay $25/mo more per line that has a subsidized phone.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
If I ever had to give it up I would be really upset I once burned 10 gigs in a day don't ask how or why but I did

must have unlocked boot loaders!!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If I ever had to give it up I would be really upset I once burned 10 gigs in a day don't ask how or why but I did

That ain't to bad :). Dpham has used a boat load in a day before lol.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That ain't to bad :). Dpham has used a boat load in a day before lol.

Only about 160gb in a day. :cool:

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I gave up unlimited awhile back and honestly I never regretted it. Keeping yourself boxed into an old plan for unlimited that gets throttled after 3gb in my book isn't truly unlimited and not worth it. Most recently I opted for AT&T newest plan I am paying about the same for a 10gb plan with unlimited text and talk that I was for a 3gb plan with limited text and minutes. Plus now I've been able to add my iPad to my media plan and so the 10gb can be shared. I see no point in getting stuck in that old unlimited throttled plan.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I gave up unlimited awhile back and honestly I never regretted it. Keeping yourself boxed into an old plan for unlimited that gets throttled after 3gb in my book isn't truly unlimited and not worth it. Most recently I opted for AT&T newest plan I am paying about the same for a 10gb plan with unlimited text and talk that I was for a 3gb plan with limited text and minutes. Plus now I've been able to add my iPad to my media plan and so the 10gb can be shared. I see no point in getting stuck in that old unlimited throttled plan.

4GLTE smartphones are throttled after 5gb

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I have seen folks say that but my experience back when I was on unlimited sure seem to start slowing down after 3gb. Speed test also indicated that. That was awhile back so maybe now it's 5gb.Thing is today I do not have to worry about that.

Send from Note 3 with Tapatalk HD

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have seen folks say that but my experience back when I was on unlimited sure seem to start slowing down after 3gb. Speed test also indicated that. That was awhile back so maybe now it's 5gb.Thing is today I do not have to worry about that.

Send from Note 3 with Tapatalk HD

4g devices are throttled at 3gb,.4GLTE smartphones are throttled at 5gb

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...p%3Fsource%3DIZDUel1160000000U&token=ol_W8hAK

Markersk

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
What plan are you talking about? If it is the mobile share value plan that att advertises for 10gb and 4 lines for $160,keep in mind that that plan does not include subsidies at that price. Meaning you would have to pay full retail ($650 for iphone) or buy used or whatever. You can still get subsidized pricing ($200 iPhone) but you would have to pay $25/mo more per line that has a subsidized phone.

That's a really important point dpham has brought up. That little point was left out of the sales pitch when AT&T sold me on this new share plan. So basically, if you do the simple math, it only makes financial sense to pay full price for the phone (in example you mention you save $200 after two years if you pay for phone outright--- am I figuring that out correctly? 25*12=600, plus $200, vs $650 up front. Interesting.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's a really important point dpham has brought up. That little point was left out of the sales pitch when AT&T sold me on this new share plan. So basically, if you do the simple math, it only makes financial sense to pay full price for the phone (in example you mention you save $200 after two years if you pay for phone outright--- am I figuring that out correctly? 25*12=600, plus $200, vs $650 up front. Interesting.

If you buy a subsidized phone, for example iPhone for $200, you would then have to pay $600 ($25x24) over 2 years, so you will pay $800 for the iPhone.

A better option would be to pay $650 full retail or on next.

Also when comparing your current plan, be sure to take into account subsidies. If you get the latest iPhone or similar every two years then the savings might not be a huge amount like half, once you take all things into consideration.

If you don't upgrade very frequently or use lower priced phones then this plan makes more sense

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
If you buy a subsidized phone, for example iPhone for $200, you would then have to pay $600 ($25x24) over 2 years, so you will pay $800 for the iPhone.

A better option would be to pay $650 full retail or on next.

Also when comparing your current plan, be sure to take into account subsidies. If you get the latest iPhone or similar every two years then the savings might not be a huge amount like half, once you take all things into consideration.

If you don't upgrade very frequently or use lower priced phones then this plan makes more sense

Yea but what pisses me off is even if you buy outwrite they still dictate what you can and cant do on your phone with boot loaders and such this is why my next phone will be a nexus or developer or google eddition im done being told what I can and cant do with my device oh and btw when the subsadies run out unlike t mobile at&t doesnt stop charging you for the subsadies even thoe the ballence is 0 yet a nother reason to buy off contract un branded by the carrier pop in your sim good to go one time payment and I can root unlock my boot loader abd flash what ever the hell I want and they cant say a word

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yea but what pisses me off is even if you buy outwrite they still dictate what you can and cant do on your phone with boot loaders and such this is why my next phone will be a nexus or developer or google eddition im done being told what I can and cant do with my device oh and btw when the subsadies run out unlike t mobile at&t doesnt stop charging you for the subsadies even thoe the ballence is 0 yet a nother reason to buy off contract un branded by the carrier pop in your sim good to go one time payment and I can root unlock my boot loader abd flash what ever the hell I want and they cant say a word

Not sure what you mean. When you finish with the 2 year contract, your bill will drop by $15-$25 depending on the data tier that you are on. This change is automatic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac