Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Default Stuck at Odin Mode - ROM will not boot - Need some initial guidance

I'm trying to fix a phone for a friend, so it's not my handset and I'm not that familiar with the GS4, -- hoping I can get some pointers in the right direction here.

Apparently, he tried to install a custom ROM and perhaps did so over his stock ROM, so the phone just boots to the white screen with the AT&T symbol. It produces various alert noises and seems to be trying to communicate with the towers (I can hear the interference on my PC speakers), but it never changes from that white screen and requires a battery pull to turn it off.

If I boot into recovery (VolUp+Home key+Power button), it gives me the following:

Could not do a normal boot.
    Odin Mode.
    SGH-I337
    Binary: Samsung Official
    System Status: Custom
    Knox Kernel Lock: 0x0
    Knox Warranty Void: 0x0
    CSB-Config-LSB: 0x30
    Write protection: enable
    eMMC burst mode enabled

Unfortunately, I cannot get it to do anything from there. If I start with VolDown+Home+Power, it seems to launch Odin successfully. If I cancel to boot at that point, I'm back to the white AT&T screen.

Hopefully, somebody here can tell me what steps to take to get this back to stock (or whatever other alternative there might be). I just didn't want to dive in and make things worse without getting some guidance first. Can anyone provide any pointers about how to proceed with this or good threads to look at to help unscrew things?

He tells me it had 4.3 on there when the problem happened and Odin was version 3.07. The phone had been rooted. I don't know how to get any other version information out of the system in the state it is currently in.

Global Posts
    20,937 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Stuck at Odin Mode - ROM will not boot - Need some initial guidance

Quote Originally Posted by mxcrowe View Post
    I'm trying to fix a phone for a friend, so it's not my handset and I'm not that familiar with the GS4, -- hoping I can get some pointers in the right direction here.

Apparently, he tried to install a custom ROM and perhaps did so over his stock ROM, so the phone just boots to the white screen with the AT&T symbol. It produces various alert noises and seems to be trying to communicate with the towers (I can hear the interference on my PC speakers), but it never changes from that white screen and requires a battery pull to turn it off.

If I boot into recovery (VolUp+Home key+Power button), it gives me the following:

Could not do a normal boot.
    Odin Mode.
    SGH-I337
    System Status: Custom
    eMMC burst mode enabled

Unfortunately, I cannot get it to do anything from there. If I start with VolDown+Home+Power, it seems to launch Odin successfully. If I cancel to boot at that point, I'm back to the white AT&T screen.

Hopefully, somebody here can tell me what steps to take to get this back to stock (or whatever other alternative there might be). I just didn't want to dive in and make things worse without getting some guidance first. Can anyone provide any pointers about how to proceed with this or good threads to look at to help unscrew things?

He tells me it had 4.3 on there when the problem happened and Odin was version 3.07. The phone had been rooted. I don't know how to get any other version information out of the system in the state it is currently in.
    You are probably going to have to flash a stock ROM all over again. You can get them on Sammobile.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Yes, that is what I had to do. Pretty much reflashed everything back to stock. All is now back in working order.
    I used the method described here: | ★ MK2 ★ FULL ODIN TAR FILES ★ MK2 ★ | ★ UNBRICKED ★ Feb.06.2014 ★ | - xda-developers

Yea run odin and flash the stock.tar it would help to know what android version he had before so we know what boot loader we are dealing with if he had 4.3 and tryed to run twrp or cwm thats your smoking gun as this boot loader is locked and can only be safe strapped (boot strap recovery) if he didnt do any of the ota updates and luckily still has 4.2.2 he needs to reflash the recovery with the lokidoki tool

must have unlocked boot loaders!!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Also correct. Trying to install/flash with TWRP was the problem, most likely. Yes, as per the OP, he was (and is) at 4.3. I did flash recovery, as well as everything else to get it back to stock functionality.
    Thanked by:

I have the same problem I am stuck at ODIN mode, I tried several times to root but filed all methods. I got OTA update to NC1 I could avoided when I noticed was already done. Then I try to downgrade from NC1 to MK2 then all got screw. Ive been trying to ODIN firmware with no results. My screen looks like this

Odin Mode.
    SGH-I337
    System Status: Official
    eMMC burst mode enabled

Please help!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nestor Rob View Post
    I have the same problem I am stuck at ODIN mode, I tried several times to root but filed all methods. I got OTA update to NC1 I could avoided when I noticed was already done. Then I try to downgrade from NC1 to MK2 then all got screw. Ive been trying to ODIN firmware with no results. My screen looks like this

Odin Mode.
    SGH-I337
    System Status: Official
    eMMC burst mode enabled

Please help!!!!
    No you need to down grade from nc1 to mdl to mk2 in that order you simply can't jump and miss one are you on xda and using the venom magic tool?? It works like this you have to go from mc1 mdl to mk2 once on mk2 boot use safe root to root flash safe strap 3.72 then put it into odin mode then you flash the mdl and boot script updater (if needed for that rom) once you flashed a new kit kat rom you boot normal uninstall safe strap 3.71 then install 3.72 as 3.71 will not mount a kit kat system partition and 3.72 is built for kit kat they are not interchangeable so please follow instructions
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2680868

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mxcrowe View Post
    Also correct. Trying to install/flash with TWRP was the problem, most likely. Yes, as per the OP, he was (and is) at 4.3. I did flash recovery, as well as everything else to get it back to stock functionality.
    OK 4.3 if he wants a rooted kit kat go here and follow the instructions they are simple and it worked for me on the first try http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2680868
    Other than that he will not have a custom kit kat rom sorry no AOSP roms as they need a different kernel and with a locked boot loader you can't get it it will simply boot loop as it did or boot into nothing http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2680868

i have a samsung galaxy S4 verizon i545 i tried to flash the firmware using Odin3 V.3.09 but it gave me an error since then my phone doesnt boot when it turns on it goes to Odin Mode and in the bottom it says "Firmware Upgrade encountered an issue connect to samsung kies for recovery and try again and nothing more it cant even boot into recovery mode.

Sorry that magic tool is for at&t only I'm not too keen on Verizon your going to have to check your device threads

Thanked by:

download samsung kies.. and also download usb driver for your phone model... after that connect your phone with lappy via usb. open kies and click on emergency recovery