Need advice on what to do w/Samsung s4-i337-water drops, not charging

iluvs2fish

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Good day, I need some advice as to what my next step should be. Month ago got 3 drops of water in cell when I was caught in bad fr. rain storm. Took cell apart, dried it, put in bag rice for 2 days. Cell powered up but had developed a greenish colored logo on power up and light green stripes on certain screens (like text pages). The return icon and menu icon on bar at bottom front of cell are dead. I got around it by going to Assistive Technology setting which puts a little square on the screen & you just choose which option u need. All was well till week ago when it stopped charging and showed the battery is too hot warning symbol, then it started charging intermittently. Now it won't recognize the charger is plugged in and won't charge.
1) Should I use a toolkit and some 91% iso alcohol & take cell apart & clean? How can 3 drops do this much damage I'm thinking.
2) Will cleaning get rid of green stripe and restore functionality to return/menu icons?
3) Has my battery gone bad or (should I buy new one?) OEM or generic?
4) Has my usb port gone bad?
5) If above isn't fixable will an external battery charger and spare battery get cell up and running?
That's all I can think of to ask you all. Cell is just 4 months old. Oh and yes the white circle is pink now on both inside cell and inside battery. Also my battery is a 2600 mAH. I see a lot of 2800 mAh batts for sale. Can I use a 2800 mAh in my cell..what is the difference?
Thanks so much in advance. I don't mind taking things apart & have tools and know where the tear down videos are-I've watched. Just want to know if I can get this cell working again. I need a cell. Illness in family and not having reliable cell is total pain. Hope to hear from you folks soon in language I can understand.
iluvs2fish in INdiana

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Dude it got inside the phone and shorted out part of your board the only option is insurance replacement if you don't have that see what Samsung says it will cost to fix it there is no easy fix as your warranty went out the window next time invest in a case

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
It only takes one drop on a ribbon contact to short out a company not anything that causes any type of eletrical distortion will fry it and the heat corrodes it what you must understand is the metal is electro plated it might be tin with .8 mm of copper over it corrodes it's done

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Most likely you need a whole new display when the amoled screen goes out or damaged it developed green tints so you need a new screen possibly a USB port and maybe a new battery or motherboard if part of your screen isn't responsive you need a new digitizer I would of honestly gotten an otter box or wait for the new gs5 that all models are is water and dust resistant you basically have a paper weight it's cheaper to get a new phone as the screen is about 250 usd a motherboard can run you 409 usd USB port is about 50 usd your gonna come out cheaper getting a new phone

RootxNinja

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
do not use alcohol on any part of your S4. If your in Indiana , look up your local cell phone repair shop.. your charging port will cost you no more than 8 USD , Digitizer and screen will run you aproximately 110 USD with easy installation instructions... If you cant find repalcement parts in your budget hit up your local cell phone recycling center ... There are more options thatn just getting new.. I had similiar problems and fixed them for about same price as stated above. Unfortunately, some are less fortunate than others , as i am , and cannot afford new phones on a whim.. If you can take back and had insurance , all the better ... But please, always, get a protective cover for any model you have

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith