Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation [Hardware] Odd Flaking, Bottom, Front

A little bit of backround:

I cracked my screen a few weeks ago and got a new one (new entire phone, not just screen) with my Squaretrade warranty. For those of you not familiar with Squaretrade's service, if something happens to your phone, you file a claim, pay their deductible, they mail you a new phone, and you mail your broken one back. I have done this before, zero problems, and not sure if this relates to my problem or not.

This is extremely weird, and I just noticed it today. It seems the bottom of my device [AT&T Galaxy S4 I9500 KitKat] has some weird flaking going on. I can't explain it, just look at the pictures. I have not dropped it, gotten any water or chemicals on it, nothing. It has a $25 screen protector on it as well as always being in an Otterbox Commuter case.

Any idea what it is, how it happened, or how I can fix it? TIA!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [Hardware] Odd Flaking, Bottom, Front-download_20140525_105526.jpeg   [Hardware] Odd Flaking, Bottom, Front-download_20140525_105529.jpeg   [Hardware] Odd Flaking, Bottom, Front-download_20140525_105533.jpeg   [Hardware] Odd Flaking, Bottom, Front-download_20140525_105536.jpeg   [Hardware] Odd Flaking, Bottom, Front-download_20140525_105538.jpeg  

Default Re: [Hardware] Odd Flaking, Bottom, Front

If you have a chip it has a chip nothing you can do accept get a new display if it's under the screen that's a nother issue send it in for warranty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Also have you tryed taking the screen saver off and see if it's simply trash??

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by metle_geek View Post
    Also have you tryed taking the screen saver off and see if it's simply trash??

Yes, I have, but its the device. The most confusing part is that I cant scrape off any more, so i don't believe it's a chip at all...

It's on the inside of the screen then either a piece of trash got under it somehow or the screen has a tear in it bring it to your carrier and see or call square trade and see what your options are

Did you get a guarantee?

Most likely they do like asurian and gave you a refurbished phone the technician must of left a piece of trash in there or something but it strikes me as odd that there would be a piece of trash as the screen is literally glued to the glass with the digitizer you have to be really patient with a blow dryer or have a heat gun to loosen the adhesive it shouldn't just show up unless there's a defect in the back lighting then again why would it show through when the screen is off