Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy s4 Loses Service Without Notification

I've seen a post similar to this, though it didn't seem to answer much. I'm mainly wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what they did to fix it.

I got my samsung galaxy s4 about four days ago. Save for a few app crashes (contacts and another that I cannot remember), it's been working pretty great. Today though, I found the 'no service' symbol in the upper left corner of my screen. When I flipped airplane mode on and off, it turned on, but would not turn off. I know for a fact the service was fine where I was. I fixed it by restarting the phone and it worked for a few more hours just fine.

The next problem with service I had was while I was sending a text message. As far as I can remember, the message said it had sent fine. I had three or four bars, and everything seemed normal. I had to restart a few hours later because of the contacts app crashing, and when it turned back on, it said the message failed to send, along with other notifications, as if they had been blocked from coming through for a while.

I have not downloaded anything not from the play store, and I've added a 32 gig SD card. I have AT&T, and I was wondering if this is just something that happens, and I was just unlucky today, or if it's abnormal and something to go in to the store about. Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Galaxy s4 Loses Service Without Notification

I too had the problem of mobile data service unknowingly disconnecting. I first noticed it after the 19Mb Lookout update to Kit Kat. I had already done a cache wipe and factory reset(both after the original kit kat update and the smaller lookout update), was within a week of warranty running out and AT&T wanted to send me a refurbished phone. I refused and lived with the problem for another week or two when it finally resolved itself. I haven't had the problem for a couple of weeks now, everything working fine. I can only guess they updated THEIR crap to work correctly or pushed something to fix the problem eventually. I really wish AT&T, Samsung and Google would get their **** together in the first place!!

Default Re: Galaxy s4 Loses Service Without Notification-yup me 2!

Wife went out of town and had to call me on her sister's phone her's went dead....she has had to do the battery pull ever since the last ATT update...she is very frustrated because she is NOT A TECHIE and when I am contracting out on the road it is her only phone.

She has no games a weather app and just uses it to make calls or text. If anyone here has a idea what may be the issue it would be appreciated.

Do any of the carriers ever participate here? I've been gone for a long while so do not know.

Thanks and good luck to all with like manner issues!

C-man.....

Since update to 4.4.2, I have also been experiencing the following:

1. Turning airplane mode off does not always work. Reboot is necessary to get voice and data connectivity back.

2. Text messages won't send in areas where there is plenty of ATT network signal strength. Reboot required.

3. As with 2, no incoming/outgoing calls possible without reboot.

4. As with 2 & 3, no OTA data service without reboot.

The failure happens silently. I don't leave data turned on all the time, only when I want to collect mail or get on the web. When the service just c**ps out without any indication, and you realize that your phone's been dead to people trying to call or text you for hours, that's most annoying.

I've had exactly the same issues since the 4.4.2 update. I've done a full reset, and AT&T replaced the SIM. Neither made any difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CES1951 View Post
    Since update to 4.4.2, I have also been experiencing the following:

1. Turning airplane mode off does not always work. Reboot is necessary to get voice and data connectivity back.

2. Text messages won't send in areas where there is plenty of ATT network signal strength. Reboot required.

3. As with 2, no incoming/outgoing calls possible without reboot.

4. As with 2 & 3, no OTA data service without reboot.

The failure happens silently. I don't leave data turned on all the time, only when I want to collect mail or get on the web. When the service just c**ps out without any indication, and you realize that your phone's been dead to people trying to call or text you for hours, that's most annoying.
    I've been having these issues as well however restarting phone nor battery pulls have worked I have to wait it out. And in addition to that my GPS doesn't work either.

Posted via Android Central App

I was just coming on here to post a thread about this, looks like I'm not the only one having this issue after all. I have an AT&T GS4 and it worked totally fine when I had 4.3 on it, but I upgraded to 4.4.2 towards the beginning of June and starting about 2 or 3 weeks ago I noticed that I would lose service at random intervals. What is weird to me though is that I don't get the circle with the slash through it indicating that i don't have any service, the bars just drop until there are none left, but the outline of the sideways triangle that the bars are in is still there.

I can turn on airplane mode but I'm then unable to turn airplane mode back off, and the only thing that fixes it is a hard reboot. I was thinking about taking it in to the ATT store to see if a new SIM card might help but in reading the previous responses it doesn't seem like that fixes the issue. Is it possible that a new software update could fix this issue that we've been having?

I have the same issue with airplane mode==I can turn it on but it's just a dimmed icon and doesn't allow me to press it again to disable. My phone has been powering down consistently at around 15% battery and inconsistently at all other times. For the past 90 minutes I haven't been able to connect to the AT&T network even though I'm in my normal coverage area. This is so maddening. Would a hard reset work? That's my plan this morning once I ensure everything is backed up.

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts

ME TOO! This started happening with me more recently (about ten days ago), only with data (texts and voice are fine) and almost always only in my own house. I don't lose my bars or get any no-service notifications - I have at least 2 bars on my LTE, but when I try to use Chrome or Facebook or get emails, the apps tell me I'm "offline."

I've been on the phone with AT&T customer support about every other day trying to see what they could come up with. My daughter has an LG Optimus Pro and sometimes she is also without data when I am, and sometimes she has it, it's not consistent. Once they referred the ticket to some engineers because we were both offline, and they did some engineer thing or other last Wednesday and everything was great till Friday when it dropped again.

If I go up to the main road with all the cell towers on it, I get five bars of LTE and great connectivity. Is there something about the S4 antenna that doesn't hold a good connection with a weaker signal??

I have stuck with AT&T because theirs is the only network that gives me service in my neighborhood (which is sort of a dead spot for many carriers) - but I should NOT have to rely on my pathetically slow Verizon DSL land service whenever I am in my house when I'm paying for that blazingly fast AT&T LTE network...

The last person I spoke to suggested the SIM card replacement route, but I see someone above has said it doesn't help. She also said that until we've tried a factory reset the manufacturer won't let them request a new device - in which case I have to figure out how to back stuff up... Any other suggestions?

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts

Just wanted to mention - I googled a little for losing data connection and found a place that said 4.4.3 was going to contain a bunch of bug fixes, and the first one mentioned was 'frequent data connection dropout'. If that doesn't describe my problem, I don't know what does! Maybe I should hold off bugging the AT&T store until AT&T phones get 4.4.3...

Quote Originally Posted by fotyc View Post
    Just wanted to mention - I googled a little for losing data connection and found a place that said 4.4.3 was going to contain a bunch of bug fixes, and the first one mentioned was 'frequent data connection dropout'. If that doesn't describe my problem, I don't know what does! Maybe I should hold off bugging the AT&T store until AT&T phones get 4.4.3...
    I very much hope that is the case as I'm starting to get really frustrated with my phone. Now the only question is when are they releasing the update to ATT users?

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts

Having this problem again, I took a small update from AT&T last week and it didn't help. Anyone know when 4.4.3 is coming to the S4? Right now it is an expensive piece of useless plastic and silicon when it comes to connectivity...I am reluctant to do a factory reset when I can see all over the place that it's not helping anybody with this. I'm left to conclude the antenna and related components on this phone are not as good as the ones on the S3 were. Sadly it's quite a number of months before I can ditch it under AT&T Next, since I only got it in Feb or Mar.