Switched from a 16gb memory card to 32gb card, apps stored to card say not installed

TheRealMarvin

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I recently switched from a 16gb memory card to 32gb. I had many of my apps moved to the first card and did not move them back before the switch. I moved the contents of the card to my pc, put in the new card and moved them back. When I turned my phone back on, the apps wouldn't open and I was prompted that they were not installed. My data has been confirmed safe from installing a few apps but I'd like to be able to get the apps back without reinstalling from the app store. I have apps there from another account that are paid for. Admittedly, I did forget to format the memory card after inserting it but it was removed from a galaxy tab. What did I do wrong and is there a less painful solution?
Also, my play lists are blank now.

mikew99

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I occasionally switch memory cards (usually to upgrade to a larger size), and I use a disk imaging program (such as Acronis True Image) to make an image backup the contents of the old card and then restore that image to the new card (while resizing if necessary). That way, the format of the new card is exactly the same as the old one. All my data and programs are in exactly the same place on the new card, so everything continues to work as before.

If you haven't yet erased your 16GB memory card, you could try that approach. First put the old memory card back in your phone to recheck your apps and verify that everything still works as it used to. It's possible that some apps broke their links to the data on the card when you put the new card in and the apps couldn't load their data from it, so you would need to fix those before doing the backup and restore.

TheRealMarvin

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I actually did switch the 16gb into a galaxy tab with the same process. Fortunately I hadn't moved any apps to the card there. I'll need to upgrade to 64gb soon. Hopefully nothing breaks this time.