Some apps don't work if LTE switches to plain 4G?

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure how to even describe this clearly, and it's not a new problem with 4.4.4 although it's worse now. There are places in my office building where the LTE signal is very weak and the phone kicks over to regular 4G with lots of bars. That should be pretty good, right? 4G and full bars? However, when I'm on 4G with full bars, Facebook will no longer update my news feed and the Play Store won't connect to download my updates.

This never happened when I had a 3G BlackBerry - so the target systems can't require an LTE connection. Why would Play Store and Facebook just spin on a blank screen when I'm on regular 4G, and begin to work again once I get outside and get a good LTE connection again? Any thoughts? Thanks! I'm getting so sick of this phone but I'm stuck with it till August.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
When it switches, close the Facebook app, give it a minute, then run it again. I suspect that what's happening is that you're losing the internet connection and getting a new one, so Facebook (or any other app using the internet on a connected basis [web browsers run not connected - ask for the page, get the page, done]) loses the connection and has to start a new one - and there's no way to tell the Facebook or Play Store apps, at least, to restart the connection. The app tells the server "send me data at this address on this port". When the connection changes to 4G, I suspect that your IP address changes, so the app is waiting for data that will never be sent to the new IP address. (Talk to your carrier's tech department [it really has to go to network engineering, but no carrier will give out the number for that department] and explain the problem. They can create a work ticket for the network department.)

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Interesting! I do exit the apps and come back again, to no avail; I think in your scenario I'd have to actually kill them?