Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By teslapod
  • 1 Post By BOSSY TEXAS CHICK
  • 1 Post By BOSSY TEXAS CHICK
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Infuse to get 1080P video recording with GB update?

Hello everyone,

When I was researching the Infuse 4G, most reviews I read claimed the phone RECORDED 1080P video. Even the spec tag at Wal-Mart (and ATT) said it featured 1080P recording.
    When I got the device home, I found out quickly that it is only enabled to do 720P.

Since the GSII has the same 8MP camera and offers 1080P video recording, does anyone suspect that the GB update may give us a bump up? I don't think it is a hardware restriction of the phone, do you? A 1.2Ghz processor should be fine, right? I mean, if it can play back 1080P, it should probably be able to handle recording too? Maybe recording is too demanding for this device?

Anyway, I realize that 1080P may not offer any REAL increase in detail, due to the optics... but still...

Thanks!

-Ryan

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Default Re: Infuse to get 1080P video recording with GB update?

Gingerbread? We don't have to show you any stinkin' Gingerbread! We are AT&T.
    ruscolinni likes this.

From what I understand, 1080p was disabled due to the fact of the video performance being hit or miss at that recording resolution. Samsung opted for a rock solid stable 720p performance rather than unreliable 1080p.

Not sure if it will be enabled or not, as the Infuse is a single core phone.

I don't think their will be an 1080p video recording in gingerbread,which I haven't seen in the custom ROMs,but you never now.Life is like a box of chocolates,you never know what you're going to get...

Quote Originally Posted by sphinx23 View Post
    I don't think their will be an 1080p video recording in gingerbread,which I haven't seen in the custom ROMs,but you never now.Life is like a box of chocolates,you never know what you're going to get...

actually, i know what i get every time in a box of chocolate. life is more like a bag of skittles.

my phone usually runs hot if im recording video or playing intense game. 1080 might blow it up.

Hmmmm... I just bought this phone from Fryes only because the sales card in front of the phone AND the sales clerk told me that the video could be recorded at 1080p resolution. The sales clerk even recommended that I buy a similar 720p phone for $100 less, but I insisted on the phone with 1080p. I just tried the video recording on the phone and see that it only goes up to 720p.

Shouldn't these retailers know by now that the 1080p on this camera is non-existent? I feel like I was swindled and am pursuing the matter with them. It almost sounds like fraud to me.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Mr. Bee -
    I felt the same way. In fact, I told the manager at Wal-Mart (where I bought the phone) that I wanted to return it and get a GSII in it's place, based on false advertising. He said that it was just a "typo" and that he wouldn't allow me to do that. He then proceeded to show me the GSII box, indicating that it listed only 720P video recording anyway (sure enough, it did say 720P video recording).
    However, the GSII, as we know, does indeed record at 1080P...
    Looks like they can't keep their specs straight anywhere...
    Phhhhbbbbtttt

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ROM:Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by ryandinan View Post
    Mr. Bee -
    I felt the same way. In fact, I told the manager at Wal-Mart (where I bought the phone) that I wanted to return it and get a GSII in it's place, based on false advertising. He said that it was just a "typo" and that he wouldn't allow me to do that. He then proceeded to show me the GSII box, indicating that it listed only 720P video recording anyway (sure enough, it did say 720P video recording).
    However, the GSII, as we know, does indeed record at 1080P...
    Looks like they can't keep their specs straight anywhere...
    When you run across things like this, call the Dept of Weights and Measures or, just tell them you're going to discuss the matter with the DWM. I'm willing to bet he would change his tune quite quickly.:-) I don't mess around with store clerks, or managers, for that matter...
    Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die. Save a life.
    LA County Adoption List Humane Society ASPCA

Infuse 720p looks far better than most 1080p phones out there. It's just a sales number for some phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bee View Post
    Hmmmm... I just bought this phone from Fryes only because the sales card in front of the phone AND the sales clerk told me that the video could be recorded at 1080p resolution. The sales clerk even recommended that I buy a similar 720p phone for $100 less, but I insisted on the phone with 1080p. I just tried the video recording on the phone and see that it only goes up to 720p.

Shouldn't these retailers know by now that the 1080p on this camera is non-existent? I feel like I was swindled and am pursuing the matter with them. It almost sounds like fraud to me.
    Representing yourself as a customer interested in buying a phone when you really want a camera sounds like fraud to me... lol : )

i could be mistaken but it is my understanding its not "non existant on this phone", its 1080p playback only.....that means when playing back a 1080p video you will get whole screen (no black bars)

Its become popular as of late to offer the 1080p playback WITHOUT the recording on many phones coming out, but its new and a lot of salesppl & reviewers, get confused and say it has both when it doesn't....Its not limited to Fryes & Walmart and you shouldn't take it personally, give it time to catch on as a "1080p playback ONLY feature" and soon enough salesppl will be steering you towards the unit that is capable of BOTH recording AND playback in 1080p : )

You're not missing much IMHO, i had the SGS II for a little bit, and the 1080p recording on that wasn't much of a step up (if any) in quality from the 720p recording on the Infuse (plus it used more memory and was difficult to send : )

BTC
    Last edited by BOSSY TEXAS CHICK; 10-17-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    AndroidNoob61 likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by BOSSY TEXAS CHICK View Post
    [I][COLOR="Navy"]

i could be mistaken but it is my understanding its not "non existant on this phone", its 1080p playback only.....that means when playing back a 1080p video you will get whole screen (no black bars)
    We were referring specifically to the ability to record video at 1080P - not just play 1080P video.

Its become popular as of late to offer the 1080p playback WITHOUT the recording on many phones coming out, but its new and a lot of salesppl & reviewers, get confused and say it has both when it doesn't....
    And thus, this is our gripe... It's not that difficult of a concept, and if consumers know the difference, the people marketing and selling the stuff should certainly know the difference.

You're not missing much IMHO, i had the SGS II for a little bit, and the 1080p recording on that wasn't much of a step up (if any) in quality from the 720p recording on the Infuse (plus it used more memory and was difficult to send : )
    You won't notice any difference in quality if you only play it back on the phone, as the screen resolution is only 800x480. If you were to connect the phone via HDMI to a 1080P tv, the extra resolution may (should) be noticeable, if the camera optics allow it. Since I have not had the ability to compare 720P from the Infuse to the 1080P from the SGS II, it's hard to say if one looks better over the other. They are essentially the same 8MP camera and optics...

Quote Originally Posted by ryandinan View Post
    We were referring specifically to the ability to record video at 1080P - not just play 1080P video.

And thus, this is our gripe... It's not that difficult of a concept, and if consumers know the difference, the people marketing and selling the stuff should certainly know the difference....

Not trying to be argumentative or minimize your concern, i was just making the point that these are just retail salesppl which barely know the merchandise they sell and that your expectations are a bit high if you think they know the products inside and out that they are hawking...

It'd be nice, but it rarely happens, which is why it becomes the burden of the consumer to know exactly what they are getting. Not saying its right, but its just the way it is....

More often than not when i see a feature listed that i think is an error, a few Google searches confirm the ad is WRONG....And if the cellular carrier disables the feature, well that isn't the retailers fault...

Personally i never buy from a retailer that assesses a re-stocking fee for specifically this reason. If when i get it home its not what i thought it was, back it goes. Yes, waste of time, effort and gas, but it doesn't happen with every purchase, just occasionally....

And forgive me if i am a little biased on the subject of the Infuse. Its hard for me to wrap my head around anyone faulting this 49-99.00 device with not taking 1080p video, its so feature packed, and offers loads more than any similarily priced device...

If it wasn't for the SGS II coming out,(which might seem on the surface, "better & faster", but in my real world experience it just wasn't....if they would have offered the SAME screen then maybe)....anyway, if not for the release of SGSII, Infuse probably would've remained in the high-end price range, and woulda been well worth it) So to me, this phone is The Electronics World "best kept secret" right now : )

BTC
    Last edited by BOSSY TEXAS CHICK; 10-17-2011 at 05:16 PM.
    AndroidNoob61 likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I agree - I (just barely) prefer my Infuse over my girlfriend's SGS II. I like the little extra speed and snap of the SGS II, but it's not THAT MUCH faster... Gingerbread may help the Infuse a bit too, once (or should I say, IF) it comes out. The screen on the Infuse is what does it for me... The size is just right, and I can type on it far more accurately. Crazy that a mere .2 inches makes that much of a difference...

...That's what she said.

Anyway, as for the video recording, it's probably more of a psychological thing... Even if 1080P didn't offer any substantial visual improvement, it would still be 1080P...