Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cobrew
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    cobrew's Avatar

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Infuse: The first and last Samsung phone I'll ever buy.

    Just a little background.... I am an IT guy. So when anything goes wrong, I get pestered with questions as many of you know. I finally convinced my wife to switch from an iphone b/c I hate itunes/apple/drm. My wife wanted the infuse b/c of the screen size and weight of the phone. I bought it for her (in August) b/c of the tweet saying that it would be upgraded to GB within the month. After 2 months, my wife starts having tons of trouble with random reboots and tons of force closes. After uninstalling most of her apps, the reboots became less frequent. After the update around november-ish, the phone was 'ok'. Within the past 2-3 weeks, it has started locking up just trying to do simple things like taking a picture. So after a total of almost six months of getting pestered with questions and complaints about the phone, I finally say screw it I am putting a custom ROM on the phone. While looking, I see that Samsung has FINALLY released GB for the phone. I do everything that Samsung's site says to do and It tells me the 'phone is not registered'. SO... I register the phone. Then Kies Mini tells me the phone is up to date and won't let me update to GB. I look online and see everyone saying to use the unbrick tool to reset the phone and that it will then work. It didn't. Then to top it all off, the 'data wipe' deleted all of the backups and pictures from the sd card. WTF???? So not only did I waste 3 hours trying to put some already outdated software on my wife's phone, I managed to wipe out the backup files of her call logs, text messages, and pictures b/c this phone puts them on the 'internal' sd card, not the external card like other phones. thankfully I have google+ set to sync her photos so at least I didn't lose that. anyway... i am going to eat the cancelled contract fee and taking the wife to verizon.

    tl;dr - screw samsung & at&t. they wait too long to update firmware and then make it a pain in the *** to do it. i going to verizon
    My advice is worth exactly what it costs you.
    c00l0ne likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Infuse: The first and last Samsung phone I'll ever buy.

    You Mad Bro? LOL we all know how you feel.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    cobrew's Avatar

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Re: Infuse: The first and last Samsung phone I'll ever buy.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrbanks View Post
    You Mad Bro? LOL we all know how you feel.

    yes... yes i am

    My advice is worth exactly what it costs you.
  4. #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slipperypete View Post
    Just a little background.... I am an IT guy. So when anything goes wrong, I get pestered with questions as many of you know. I finally convinced my wife to switch from an iphone b/c I hate itunes/apple/drm. My wife wanted the infuse b/c of the screen size and weight of the phone. I bought it for her (in August) b/c of the tweet saying that it would be upgraded to GB within the month. After 2 months, my wife starts having tons of trouble with random reboots and tons of force closes. After uninstalling most of her apps, the reboots became less frequent. After the update around november-ish, the phone was 'ok'. Within the past 2-3 weeks, it has started locking up just trying to do simple things like taking a picture. So after a total of almost six months of getting pestered with questions and complaints about the phone, I finally say screw it I am putting a custom ROM on the phone. While looking, I see that Samsung has FINALLY released GB for the phone. I do everything that Samsung's site says to do and It tells me the 'phone is not registered'. SO... I register the phone. Then Kies Mini tells me the phone is up to date and won't let me update to GB. I look online and see everyone saying to use the unbrick tool to reset the phone and that it will then work. It didn't. Then to top it all off, the 'data wipe' deleted all of the backups and pictures from the sd card. WTF???? So not only did I waste 3 hours trying to put some already outdated software on my wife's phone, I managed to wipe out the backup files of her call logs, text messages, and pictures b/c this phone puts them on the 'internal' sd card, not the external card like other phones. thankfully I have google+ set to sync her photos so at least I didn't lose that. anyway... i am going to eat the cancelled contract fee and taking the wife to verizon.

    tl;dr - screw samsung & at&t. they wait too long to update firmware and then make it a pain in the *** to do it. i going to verizon
    Truthfully I don't blame u. My girl got the infuse and I couldn't update it for her. Smh its rediculous when a nerd like me can't even update a phone to old software because u have to use some crappy software like kies. Wth didn't they do ota updates like every other phone and if it was going to be this complicated they should give u the option to take it to a store. But of course they have a f u attitude. Glad I'm already on Verizon with a galaxy nexus.

    From the best android phone PERIOD. Galaxy Nexus.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Infuse: The first and last Samsung phone I'll ever buy.

    I feel your pain. After many hours and finally updating, I was underwhelmed. I am now running Zeus and the difference is unimaginable.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    cobrew's Avatar

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Re: Infuse: The first and last Samsung phone I'll ever buy.

    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post

    this is my struggle. I want SO bad to buy her the nexus, but it is a samsung product. I am trying to convince myself that it is ok to do it. so far I am failing
    My advice is worth exactly what it costs you.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Infuse: The first and last Samsung phone I'll ever buy.

    Quote Originally Posted by slipperypete View Post
    this is my struggle. I want SO bad to buy her the nexus, but it is a samsung product. I am trying to convince myself that it is ok to do it. so far I am failing
    I say go for it. The specs and the quality of the hardware are pretty goo, IMHO. I think it is the software, waiting for updates and then having the updates be hard to implement that is the problem. I guess the problem is on the business process side from both ATT and Samsung.

    Flash a custom ROM and enjoy the device.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Infuse: The first and last Samsung phone I'll ever buy.

    Funny thing is that Galaxy Nexus is also one of the samsung phone Difference is that it is the official google reference phone and will have OS update support for 18 month for sure.

    I learned from this infuse gingerbread update incident that you have to buy 'FAMOUS' Samsung phone, NEVER other product, including infuse 4g. You have to buy something with name Galaxy I guess, like Galaxy S II, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Nexus. After My contract is up with infuse I'm hoping to go something like Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Note II. Iphone is just not for me, I don't know why. I have used 3gs before infuse and still hated it.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Infuse: The first and last Samsung phone I'll ever buy.

    Im ready to do the same thing man! I`m on the same boat as you. and me and my wife only had these phone since AUG too.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Infuse: The first and last Samsung phone I'll ever buy.

    The Infuse is basically the ugly child that mother Samsung puts at the end of her priorities list. She is very busy driving basketball team captain son Galaxy Nexus to his games and attending school superstar dance team leader and all-A student Galaxy SII daughter.

    If you want updates to be better, just stick with a flagship phone. There are millions and millions of people in the world using Galaxy SII's and a tiny fraction of that using the Infuse 4G. Plus, don't forget that the Infuse was never a front line leader: at the time of its release, the Galaxy SII was already flaunting its prowess for months across the world (and not the U.S.).

    Yes, ideally every phone deserves equal support and attention from mother manufacturer. That's easy when there are three phones to support and update. I think Samsung disappointed many (including myself) with how theytreated the Infuse, but I also think it's reasonable to take the above mentioned factors into account before generalizing Samsung and its entire product line as being unfit for further purchase. Like seriously, Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy SII are incredible phones.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Infuse: The first and last Samsung phone I'll ever buy.

    I feel your pain as well. I got the Infuse and it's been...okay. I have had the same kind of force close issues. I've tried several different ROMs, and many have been decent. However I'm throwing my lot in with those who say "go with the flagship" and am getting the Galaxy Note. The Infuse has such a small segment of the market, and the Note will (hopefully) have a much larger segment. I still have some concerns:
    • Will it get ICS?
    • When will accessories show up to the party (particularly a good anti-glare screen protector)?
    • How long/how many updates will the Note get?
    • How long before the Note II come out? The SII thing is ridiculous. SGSII, then the Skyrocket, and then SKyrocket HD? Sheesh.


    Still, I've thrown in my lot with Android for now, and the Note looks like the best there is. I've already done the iPhone 3GS. It was fine, but much too limited for what I like to do. The Windows Phone looks interesting, but I need to see Microsoft get their act together more before I try that out.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Infuse: The first and last Samsung phone I'll ever buy.

    I see where you guys are comming from, but honestly it only took 10 mins to update my phone to GB. I just used the UNBRICK method posted here numerous times. when I hit data wipe all it wiped was my apps everthing else remained intact.

    Now GB is running great, but I really don't see a big deal in it over froyo..Not worth the upgrade
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Infuse: The first and last Samsung phone I'll ever buy.

    I don't think ICS will come to infuse 4g. Minimum ram required for ICS to run smoothly is 790mb. Infuse 4g has 512mb ram. Unless samsung coming with some kind of value pack (take some functions out from ICS) even if we got ICS it's not going to be pretty.

    For the Galaxy Note, ICS will come for sure. I don't know when in US since Galaxy note has not even released yet, but in Korea and other country, they are getting ICS this march or something, along with Galaxy S II. It's going to take some time for ICS if ATT is releasing galaxy note .

    I really don't understand why US is so slow getting the latest android phone. Galaxy S II came out in April 2011. Galaxy Note came out November 2011. It's all about ATT and Verizon want to change little stupid things... and they change names like skylocket.

Posting Permissions

B