1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default infuse is underrated...

I must say. In my opinion this phone is way underrated. I have owned a plethora of Android devices over the last few years. The last few have been dual core phones. This is my favorite thus far. I just did the update last week and now it has the same Android software as 90% of all other Androids. Truth is, only a small percent of Android phones are using ICS. Most all Androids are using gingerbread 2.3.6 and now so is the infuse. With the 1.2 hummingbird processor this phone is just as fast as any dual core phone I've used to date. Most dual cores don't have compatible components to utilize the extra core so having a dual core phone is pointless in most cases. The processor in this phone rocks just fine. The screen is to die for and the hardware is typical Samsung brilliance. They may suck when it comes to updates but they build best phones.
    Last edited by jsu1222; 04-15-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Default Re: infuse is underrated...

I agree, the Infuse is a very good phone, just very underrated. I'd say bad timing was its demise, more than anything else. Had it been released earlier (before the advent of the SII), it would definitely have been a flagship phone for Samsung. However, it was released months after the SII already came out in UK and S. Korea.

As much as I enjoyed using the Infuse, I am now on the SII, and to be completely fair, I do notice differences in performance. I know that a lot of people love to just say that the difference in cores makes no difference unless you're a heavy gamer, but for me, the SII definitely covers a lot more ground for day to day use (way less buggy, less force closes, less freezes, things like animations of scrolling are just buttery smooth), and I do think a lot of it has to do with software more than hardware. If the Infuse had a good team of developers for its official ROM at Samsung and also was cared for better with updates, it might have been nearly on par with the SII for day to day use.

Also, the SII has more RAM, and that for me, makes a big difference when I use it every day. On the Infuse, I'd have to check quite frequently on running apps and close unused ones for new apps to run smoothly (technically, Android OS is supposed to control this by itself, but on the Infuse with the 512 MB RAM, it just wasn't doing it for me, once I went past 3 apps, it would start getting laggy). On the SII, I have never even once touched the app monitor, because even with up to 7 or 8 apps running, it's all handled very well and I don't notice diminishing performance.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Ya, this is my first Samsung device. All my other phones have been motorola, HTC, etc. etc. In comparison to those other devices this is by far my favorite. After my contract is up with this device I'll upgrade to a different Samsung device with beefier specs. For now in terms of relativity to my previously owned phones, this is the best yet. I upgraded the software the day I got this phone, before I even used it. I have yet to find any performance problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jsu1222 View Post
    Ya, this is my first Samsung device. All my other phones have been motorola, HTC, etc. etc. In comparison to those other devices this is by far my favorite. After my contract is up with this device I'll upgrade to a different Samsung device with beefier specs. For now in terms of relativity to my previously owned phones, this is the best yet. I upgraded the software the day I got this phone, before I even used it. I have yet to find any performance problems.
    That's great to hear! Samsung does indeed make the top of the line Android smartphones. They are known for making great chips and displays, so it makes sense that they have the technology to combine those for a mobile device. The fact that Google has twice picked Samsung as their official "Google Phone" manufacturer definitely says something (both the first Nexus and the Galaxy Nexus are Samsung). The Touchwiz skin is also nice to use, and I honestly don't have much complaints about it.

I kind of made it sound like the Infuse is significantly noticeably worse than the SII, but that was totally "in comparison". If I had never used an SII and only used the Infuse, I would never know. Like I said, it's a solid device, but yeah, if you're just getting into Samsung Mobile, welcome to this world you only have even better devices/user-experiences ahead of you from the Infuse, the SII, the Note, the Galaxy Nexus, and the soon to be coming SIII, all are even better and amazing than the Infuse (which is already good to begin with).

I'll stop there before I sound too much like a Samsung fanatic lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jsu1222 View Post
    I must say. In my opinion this phone is way underrated. I have owned a plethora of Android devices over the last few years. The last few have been dual core phones. This is my favorite thus far. I just did the update last week and now it has the same Android software as 90% of all other Androids. Truth is, only a small percent of Android phones are using ICS. Most all Androids are using gingerbread 2.3.6 and now so is the infuse. With the 1.2 hummingbird processor this phone is just as fast as any dual core phone I've used to date. Most dual cores don't have compatible components to utilize the extra core so having a dual core phone is pointless in most cases. The processor in this phone rocks just fine. The screen is to die for and the hardware is typical Samsung brilliance. They may suck when it comes to updates but they build best phones.
    It is a great phone.

Infuse is great phone but it is little bit... out of date?

Infuse spec is inbetween Galaxy S and Galaxy SII... (infuse is like Galaxy S 1.5) Infuse came out little bit late since Galaxy SII was released on april, 2011(US release date was november though) and infuse was released may, 2011. I personally like this phone but It's difficult to find single core and 512 ram phone now...

Looking forward to checking out the Infuse. Just switched out my failing iPhone4 - Apple wants me to use my upgrade at AT&T and pay 200 for a new iPhone4s that will likely be replaced in October. So shopped for budget Androids - this came out on top. (after a salesperson tried to convince me to get an LG Thrill for 3D? LOL) this will be my first Android device so I have no expectations - my original concern was that they didn't carry the device in store anywhere anymore so I ordered it online - but it really appears to be highly rated on all the reviews. I guess for more power/experienced users the SII is a better experience but for a newbie like me I guess this should be great!

What should be the first thing I do when I get it? Update to 2.3.6?

and this article comes out today "Smartphone screens are getting bigger". Infuse @ 4.5" isn't even mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by troup1998 View Post
    and this article comes out today "Smartphone screens are getting bigger". Infuse @ 4.5" isn't even mentioned.

Not surprised. The Infuse isn't in the same league with these phones mentioned in the article (aside from iPhone 4). Plus, the article is talking about the trend of increasing phone sizes of new smart phones, so it makes sense that the Infuse isn't mentioned. As many have said, the Infuse lost its niche when the Galaxy SII Skyrocket came out (and other 4.5" variants of the SII).

ROM
    CM9, CM7.2, Quattrimus

I honestly chose the Infuse over an AT&T Galaxy S II because of the screen size and battery. After upgrading to ICS, I don't regret it one bit. This phone is 9/10s of a Galaxy S II for half the price.

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9 Beta 2

This phone could easily run ICS and if they would put out the update it could be a very usable phone for at least another year to 18 months. With just gingerbread, I expect most people trying to bail to something else in 6-8 months. I do think it was underrated because it was overshadowed by better phones when it was released but it is now an excellent phone for the price. Especially for people that want to get a bigger screen without the big price tag.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums