Music/Video files can't play

betito84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi, first time AC member here. Loving my Infuse, but I have a major problem with it. I want to see if any of you all have encountered this.

It seems that all my music and video files stop playing after a while. It gives a "file not supported" error when I try to open them, even though the format is MP3 for my music and MP4 for my videos. All the files are located on the external memory card (16 GB SanDisk, I can't tell what class it is, but it's the one sold at AT&T corporate retail locations) I do a simple reboot of the phone, and lo and behold, all the files work. Then the same problem occurs after a while, and a reboot gets it working again. The phone still recognizes the memory card even when the problem happens. Could it be a defective phone or bad memory card?

Reactions: Cory4ou

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi, first time AC member here. Loving my Infuse, but I have a major problem with it. I want to see if any of you all have encountered this.

It seems that all my music and video files stop playing after a while. It gives a "file not supported" error when I try to open them, even though the format is MP3 for my music and MP4 for my videos. All the files are located on the external memory card (16 GB SanDisk, I can't tell what class it is, but it's the one sold at AT&T corporate retail locations) I do a simple reboot of the phone, and lo and behold, all the files work. Then the same problem occurs after a while, and a reboot gets it working again. The phone still recognizes the memory card even when the problem happens. Could it be a defective phone or bad memory card?

could be either i would try switching back to the 2gb included or another card try it for a few days and if the error persists it is the phone if the error does not persist it is the card i would then suggest reformatting the erroneous card in the phone and retransfer all of your media. and if the error persists again then have the card replaced.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
could be either i would try switching back to the 2gb included or another card try it for a few days and if the error persists it is the phone if the error does not persist it is the card i would then suggest reformatting the erroneous card in the phone and retransfer all of your media. and if the error persists again then have the card replaced.

Yes definitely do a reformat on that card, but copy all of your files onto your computer first before you do. Copy the files, Then Format the card from the phone. Once Formated, put them back on the card. See if that fixes the problem. If its a "no go", Factory reset the phone. If that didnt fixed the problem, you might need a different card. But I cant really see why there would be a problem with that card since you got it from AT&T. If its an issue with the phone. You have some time to swap it out I would think.

Cory4ou

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm having that same problem. Have you had any success with the ideas here yet? I just used the same sd card I had in my nexus one, never had any problems with it there.

betito84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm having that same problem. Have you had any success with the ideas here yet? I just used the same sd card I had in my nexus one, never had any problems with it there.

I've tried a smaller 8 GB memory card and the same problem occurred. I will try a factory reset and then move the files to the internal memory. I will let you know what happens.

I have a feeling, though, that it's turning out to be the phone that has the problem. This sucks for me, as I already exchanged the Inspire for the Infuse (I was still under the 30 day return policy) The store told me I can't do another exchange. At least I have the 1 year warranty plus phone insurance.

Reactions: Cory4ou

Cory4ou

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm using an 8GB card. Couldn't imagine how swapping the sd from one phone to another could corrupt anything tho. I'm glad you started this topic because I'd been searching like crazy to see if anyone else had the same problem and couldn't find anything. I have random ringtones set up from my previous phone, set them to my infuse, and it'll vibrate but won't play the sound, unless its shortly after a reboot then the notification plays just fine. Videos on the card corrupt after a while, and even a movie i purchased on Samsung's media hub "is not supported" or "cannot play this video" until I reboot, then EVERYTHING works just fine.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I've tried a smaller 8 GB memory card and the same problem occurred. I will try a factory reset and then move the files to the internal memory. I will let you know what happens.

I have a feeling, though, that it's turning out to be the phone that has the problem. This sucks for me, as I already exchanged the Inspire for the Infuse (I was still under the 30 day return policy) The store told me I can't do another exchange. At least I have the 1 year warranty plus phone insurance.

it won't be an exchange it is a hardware replacement. so you can swap it out.

hogsrule

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
same here

I'm having the same problems with a 32 GB card. it sucks cause if I have a ringtone set off of an mp3, the phone won't ring until after a reboot. Did anything work for you guys?

Cory4ou

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I tried formatting my external sd card a few mins ago. I'll let you guys know in a few hours if that did anything. I talked to an AT&T guy last week and he basically told me to try that also. I don't know how that would change much though because my media hub movie that I downloaded was stored on the internal 16 gig sd card. But I'll let you guys know.

btuna

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
This is apparently not a memory card issue, and is not confined to a particular phone, but it may be confined to Samsung. And it doesn't matter how old the phone is. And it only started happening within the past few weeks, from what I have gathered researching this. My Captivate (2.2) is doing the same thing. It affects songs on both internal and external SD storage, videos, downloaded podcasts, Youtube videos, etc. It appears that the internal mediaserver hangs up. The only remedy I have found so far is reboot. There are reports that uninstalling the official Twitter app (no, I'm not kidding) will fix it. I'm about to try that myself.

Merlin8000

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I'm using a stock SD card and am not rooted. The files that are being opened here are stored on the internal SD. Also this same thing seems to happen when trying to open JPG files (but not text). I get 1 vibrate, a pause, followed by 2 shorter vibrates. Rebooting seems to fix it.

I've been having to reboot my phone several times in the past few days. I'm not sure if it's related but I get the same crash indicator where opening any new application results in the same vibrate pattern and the application closes immediately. Rebooting fixes this too.

reverendmilo

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
It happened once with me on the music files stored on the internal card. Reboot and rescan fixed it.

I have now switched to poweramp because I wanted to be able to shuffle a playlist. Stock app blows.

sent from my fancy pants Samsung Infuse

Merlin8000

May 25, 2011
Visit site
In my case the problem was with BeyondPod, the stock media player and subsonic also exhibited the exact same behavior. Rebooting solved the problem for me, but I'm a little concerned since (starting this week) i've been forced to reboot my phone on average 3-4 times per day for one reason or another.

btuna

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok. I need a little more time to confirm, but it appears that uninstalling the official Twitter app has solved this problem for me. Don't ask me how.

donald7215

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Same problem

I too am having the same issue and I am on my 3rd infuse. The first two infuses were from the same store but the third one is from a different store. My music will stop working at random times, my media hub videos will not play, and you tube will not work. When I turn the phone on and off everything is fine for about 12-24 hrs. I do have the software update and thought maybe that would do the trick but no such luck. .....The only option I have left is sending my phone to SAMSUNG for them to look at it but I don?t see how that will work because I keep my sim and memory card. All of my media is located on my internal memory at this time. It was on my external card for a while and I thought maybe that was the issue but it was not..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692