Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Unhappy Music/Video files can't play

    Hi, first time AC member here. Loving my Infuse, but I have a major problem with it. I want to see if any of you all have encountered this.

    It seems that all my music and video files stop playing after a while. It gives a "file not supported" error when I try to open them, even though the format is MP3 for my music and MP4 for my videos. All the files are located on the external memory card (16 GB SanDisk, I can't tell what class it is, but it's the one sold at AT&T corporate retail locations) I do a simple reboot of the phone, and lo and behold, all the files work. Then the same problem occurs after a while, and a reboot gets it working again. The phone still recognizes the memory card even when the problem happens. Could it be a defective phone or bad memory card?
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  
    zhelf's Avatar
    Zombie

    Posts
    716 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,878 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by betito84 View Post
    Hi, first time AC member here. Loving my Infuse, but I have a major problem with it. I want to see if any of you all have encountered this.

    It seems that all my music and video files stop playing after a while. It gives a "file not supported" error when I try to open them, even though the format is MP3 for my music and MP4 for my videos. All the files are located on the external memory card (16 GB SanDisk, I can't tell what class it is, but it's the one sold at AT&T corporate retail locations) I do a simple reboot of the phone, and lo and behold, all the files work. Then the same problem occurs after a while, and a reboot gets it working again. The phone still recognizes the memory card even when the problem happens. Could it be a defective phone or bad memory card?
    could be either i would try switching back to the 2gb included or another card try it for a few days and if the error persists it is the phone if the error does not persist it is the card i would then suggest reformatting the erroneous card in the phone and retransfer all of your media. and if the error persists again then have the card replaced.
    Android: Moto X (2014), Galaxy Note 3, Lg G3
    iOS: iPhone 6 64 gb
    Windows Phone:Lumia Icon
    Thanked by 2:
  3. #3  
    Terrigno's Avatar
    Italiano Papi

    Posts
    1,476 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,542 Global Posts
    ROM
    iOS 5.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zhelf View Post
    could be either i would try switching back to the 2gb included or another card try it for a few days and if the error persists it is the phone if the error does not persist it is the card i would then suggest reformatting the erroneous card in the phone and retransfer all of your media. and if the error persists again then have the card replaced.
    Yes definitely do a reformat on that card, but copy all of your files onto your computer first before you do. Copy the files, Then Format the card from the phone. Once Formated, put them back on the card. See if that fixes the problem. If its a "no go", Factory reset the phone. If that didnt fixed the problem, you might need a different card. But I cant really see why there would be a problem with that card since you got it from AT&T. If its an issue with the phone. You have some time to swap it out I would think.
    Just swapped out the Xoom Tablet for an IPhone. I never ever thought I would get an IPhone. Im currently eating my words. Apple has a lot going on here....Im loving both platforms.
    Thanked by 2:
  4. #4  

    Default

    I'm having that same problem. Have you had any success with the ideas here yet? I just used the same sd card I had in my nexus one, never had any problems with it there.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cory4ou View Post
    I'm having that same problem. Have you had any success with the ideas here yet? I just used the same sd card I had in my nexus one, never had any problems with it there.
    I've tried a smaller 8 GB memory card and the same problem occurred. I will try a factory reset and then move the files to the internal memory. I will let you know what happens.

    I have a feeling, though, that it's turning out to be the phone that has the problem. This sucks for me, as I already exchanged the Inspire for the Infuse (I was still under the 30 day return policy) The store told me I can't do another exchange. At least I have the 1 year warranty plus phone insurance.
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default

    Yeah I'm using an 8GB card. Couldn't imagine how swapping the sd from one phone to another could corrupt anything tho. I'm glad you started this topic because I'd been searching like crazy to see if anyone else had the same problem and couldn't find anything. I have random ringtones set up from my previous phone, set them to my infuse, and it'll vibrate but won't play the sound, unless its shortly after a reboot then the notification plays just fine. Videos on the card corrupt after a while, and even a movie i purchased on Samsung's media hub "is not supported" or "cannot play this video" until I reboot, then EVERYTHING works just fine.
  7. #7  
    zhelf's Avatar
    Zombie

    Posts
    716 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,878 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by betito84 View Post
    I've tried a smaller 8 GB memory card and the same problem occurred. I will try a factory reset and then move the files to the internal memory. I will let you know what happens.

    I have a feeling, though, that it's turning out to be the phone that has the problem. This sucks for me, as I already exchanged the Inspire for the Infuse (I was still under the 30 day return policy) The store told me I can't do another exchange. At least I have the 1 year warranty plus phone insurance.
    it won't be an exchange it is a hardware replacement. so you can swap it out.
    Android: Moto X (2014), Galaxy Note 3, Lg G3
    iOS: iPhone 6 64 gb
    Windows Phone:Lumia Icon
  8. #8  

    Default same here

    I'm having the same problems with a 32 GB card. it sucks cause if I have a ringtone set off of an mp3, the phone won't ring until after a reboot. Did anything work for you guys?
  9. #9  

    Default

    I have has some problems playing videos.....

    Music seems to work fine

    Shelly
  10. #10  

    Default

    I tried formatting my external sd card a few mins ago. I'll let you guys know in a few hours if that did anything. I talked to an AT&T guy last week and he basically told me to try that also. I don't know how that would change much though because my media hub movie that I downloaded was stored on the internal 16 gig sd card. But I'll let you guys know.
  11. #11  

    Default

    Yeah. Didn't fix anything. All media becomes "unsupported" still.
  12. #12  

    Default

    This periodically happens to me. I have to re-boot to be able to play my music. I've tried using multiple players.
  13. #13  

    Default

    So, no luck anyone? Must not be a widespread issue. Hardware defect? My 30 day return window is rapidly approaching...
  14. #14  

    Default

    I have the same exact problem with my Samsung Droid Charge. Anyone figure out a fix yet?
  15. #15  

    Default

    This is apparently not a memory card issue, and is not confined to a particular phone, but it may be confined to Samsung. And it doesn't matter how old the phone is. And it only started happening within the past few weeks, from what I have gathered researching this. My Captivate (2.2) is doing the same thing. It affects songs on both internal and external SD storage, videos, downloaded podcasts, Youtube videos, etc. It appears that the internal mediaserver hangs up. The only remedy I have found so far is reboot. There are reports that uninstalling the official Twitter app (no, I'm not kidding) will fix it. I'm about to try that myself.
  16. #16  

    Default

    I'm having the same problem. I'm using a stock SD card and am not rooted. The files that are being opened here are stored on the internal SD. Also this same thing seems to happen when trying to open JPG files (but not text). I get 1 vibrate, a pause, followed by 2 shorter vibrates. Rebooting seems to fix it.

    I've been having to reboot my phone several times in the past few days. I'm not sure if it's related but I get the same crash indicator where opening any new application results in the same vibrate pattern and the application closes immediately. Rebooting fixes this too.
  17. #17  

    Default

    It happened once with me on the music files stored on the internal card. Reboot and rescan fixed it.

    I have now switched to poweramp because I wanted to be able to shuffle a playlist. Stock app blows.

    sent from my fancy pants Samsung Infuse
  18. #18  

    Default

    In my case the problem was with BeyondPod, the stock media player and subsonic also exhibited the exact same behavior. Rebooting solved the problem for me, but I'm a little concerned since (starting this week) i've been forced to reboot my phone on average 3-4 times per day for one reason or another.
  19. #19  

    Default

    Ok. I need a little more time to confirm, but it appears that uninstalling the official Twitter app has solved this problem for me. Don't ask me how.
  20. #20  

    Default Same problem

    I too am having the same issue and I am on my 3rd infuse. The first two infuses were from the same store but the third one is from a different store. My music will stop working at random times, my media hub videos will not play, and you tube will not work. When I turn the phone on and off everything is fine for about 12-24 hrs. I do have the software update and thought maybe that would do the trick but no such luck. .....The only option I have left is sending my phone to SAMSUNG for them to look at it but I dont see how that will work because I keep my sim and memory card. All of my media is located on my internal memory at this time. It was on my external card for a while and I thought maybe that was the issue but it was not..
  21. #21  

    Default

    Well I decided to give the twitter thing a shot as a last resort. And so far, believe it or not, it seems to of somehow corrected the problem. Going on about 28 hours-ish and all media is still working. I hadn't made it that long previously. I guess time will tell. I'll try to keep you guys updated.
  22. #22  

    Default

    I still have not had a repeat of the problem since my last post. The Twitter app issue appears to be legit.
    Thanked by:
  23. #23  

    Default Im trying it too

    Well i got rid of the twitter app, will see if it work tomorrow.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default

    Out of curiosity, is it the official Twitter app we're talking about? No other 3rd party Twitter apps have this problem?
  25. #25  

    Default

    For me it was the official twitter app. I haven't had a problem again since uninstalling. Media is still working. I haven't tried a third party twitter app yet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions