Changing apps on the bottom row....

chipstien

May 7, 2011
Visit site
So I suspect I have the answer, but can I swap out the stock "email" app for the "gmail" app. I am assuming the bottom dock cannot be changed without the use of aftermarket apps but figured I would double check. What are my options for free apps that would change these if it indeed cannot be done thru the stock interface? Thanks

OldBaldy66

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Simply long press the one you want to change, the standard list will pop up, and you can choose whatever you want.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

avgsmoe

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I switched launcher soon after, but if I remember right its something like, from app drawer, open settings, view type, customizable grid, remove dock icon you don't want, place icon there you do want, then change list back to alphabetical if you want.

halo0

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I switched launcher soon after, but if I remember right its something like, from app drawer, open settings, view type, customizable grid, remove dock icon you don't want, place icon there you do want, then change list back to alphabetical if you want.

You are my hero! :) I don't think I ever would have figured that out.

halo0

May 25, 2011
Visit site
open the app drawer and press the menu key. you should see an item called "View type". press it, then change the type to "customizable grid". Then hit the menu key again and you should see 2 buttons, edit and view type. press edit and then you can change the bottom row.

jthomp636

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
In addition to halo0's answer (which is the correct one for the bottom row), you can download the user's guide from both AT&T and Samsung web site. The exact instructions (which is Halo0 answer) for changing the bottom row, are on page 32.

Works like a charm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garen21

tinear

May 31, 2011
Visit site
wasn't working for me. menu buttom seemed disabled while in Applications. nothing happened, just a short tact burst. kept trying and then, yes, menu came up.

thank you.

replaced "Web" with Firefox and "email" with Contacts. much more efficient for my needs.

Egidio

May 24, 2011
Visit site
It worked just as described in the original post. Let's see if a rephrasing can help, in case anyone still has problems.

(1) Tap the Applications icon.
(2) Tap the Menu icon and select View type.
(3) Tap Customizable grid.
(4) Tap the Menu icon again and select Edit.

Now you should see all apps highlighted (third party with a minus sign) and others with a light grey border.

(5) Tap and hold the Dock Mail icon and drag it out of the dock.
(6) Tap and hold the Gmail icon and drag it to the dock.
(7) If it's to your liking, tap the Menu icon and click Save.
(8) If you want the apps in alpha order, then tap the Menu icon again and select View type.
(9) Tap Alphabetical grid and you're done.

Last edited:

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
My apologies, halo0. I will attempt to delete my post. Sorry.

No worries, Edigio! That was the most succinct and easy-to-understand answer to a very commonly asked question. I'm going to bookmark the permalink to your response to help the other people who will (inevitably) ask the same question. ;)

halo0

May 25, 2011
Visit site
+1, good answer.

Now that I look back at my post I could see why you thought what you did. :) I was trying to say that just long pressing on the icons without first getting into the proper editing mode did nothing. My bad.

Egidio

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, all. I just revised the post to delete my error. Hopefully this will help others. Now, aren't we all a happy Infuse family?! :))

Reactions: msnyder

bran2c

May 16, 2011
Visit site
It worked just as described in the original post. Let's see if a rephrasing can help, in case anyone still has problems.

(1) Tap the Applications icon.
(2) Tap the Menu icon and select View type.
(3) Tap Customizable grid.
(4) Tap the Menu icon again and select Edit.

Now you should see all apps highlighted (third party with a minus sign) and others with a light grey border.

(5) Tap and hold the Dock Mail icon and drag it out of the dock.
(6) Tap and hold the Gmail icon and drag it to the dock.
(7) If it's to your liking, tap the Menu icon and click Save.
(8) If you want the apps in alpha order, then tap the Menu icon again and select View type.
(9) Tap Alphabetical grid and you're done.
Clear and concise to follow! Thanks, Egidio!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon