Off network GPS app?

McGonzo

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Just started playing with my first smart phone. Wow, this thing is amazing. I'm not on 3G/4G data plans, just use WiFi and regular cell functions. But I'd sure like to use the GPS. I presume that most GPS apps are going to want data from the `net to show their maps. Are there any that let users DL the maps they want to the SD card and thus can work off network?

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Google Maps has an experimental feature that lets you download an offline map that run along your set route.

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Google maps has that, but only for a limited area. Co pilot has all of north America pre loaded.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
correct, usually that means expensive navigation software like Sygic($15) or navigon($39) is needed in order to have downloadable maps. Although co-pilot is cheaper at $19.99 less than stellar reviews of majority make me say no. I can only recommend Navigon software because I've used it on my iPhone3GS. From Cali to Ohio with no problems. But McGonzo may be better off with Sygic. price and reviews. also the maps look amazing. I may cop this instead of navigon for my Infuse. 7 day free trial is great too.

*or if you like free... checkout Mapdroyd great ratings and free downloadable maps of the World. No navi though.

Last edited:

rainman4tech

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Take a look at "MapDroid" haven't had a chance to look deeply at it but it lets you download state maps to your phone and uses the GPS and those maps to navigate.

Rainman