How come this phone "doesn't"?

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
It does.

It does. Or it can.

Its just not set to by default.

From your home screen, hit the search button.

Up pops that google-like search.

Hit the menu button. A menu comes up.

Second item is "Searchable Items" select that.

You'll see what it searches by default. You want songs? Scroll down to music search, click that checkbox.

FWIW a lot of other apps you have may have search capabilty that will appear here. e.g., when I do this I also get Amazon Kindle (search my books), evernote (search my notes), google sky map (search celestial objects), IMDB (search movies), Just Pictures (search my online photos), LinkedIn (search my business contacts), Weatherbug (search weather stations), even Satellite Augmented Reality (search satellites).

I don't want all those on, but I could.

Now in practice... it is a little tricky. Even with those turned on... what it does by default is pop in a bunch of suggestions for your search as you type. Which in practice end up taking all the slots that you see. e.g., I searched for "hawk", hoping to find a band "hawkwind". instead my results show a bunch of google suggestions first ("hawkeye", "hawks", "hawken", "hawks cay", "hawk cam", etc etc). If I click the blue "g" to the left of my search item I can tell it to search specifically "music player" and then I get specifically music hits (artists, albums, songs etc).

But it sounds like you prefer it to do all of the searches at once. To do this go back to settings, select google search, and turn off "show web suggestions". Now when I type "hawk" I see the matches from all the applications I have selected. I can still do a straight google search by just hitting the right arrow at the top right. But I don't get suggestions. But I think I prefer it that way.

Last edited:

Garen21

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
It does. Or it can.

Its just not set to by default.

From your home screen, hit the search button.

Up pops that google-like search.

Hit the menu button. A menu comes up.

Second item is "Searchable Items" select that.

You'll see what it searches by default. You want songs? Scroll down to music search, click that checkbox.

FWIW a lot of other apps you have may have search capabilty that will appear here. e.g., when I do this I also get Amazon Kindle (search my books), evernote (search my notes), google sky map (search celestial objects), IMDB (search movies), Just Pictures (search my online photos), LinkedIn (search my business contacts), Weatherbug (search weather stations), even Satellite Augmented Reality (search satellites).

I don't want all those on, but I could.

Now in practice... it is a little tricky. Even with those turned on... what it does by default is pop in a bunch of suggestions for your search as you type. Which in practice end up taking all the slots that you see. e.g., I searched for "hawk", hoping to find a band "hawkwind". instead my results show a bunch of google suggestions first ("hawkeye", "hawks", "hawken", "hawks cay", "hawk cam", etc etc). If I click the blue "g" to the left of my search item I can tell it to search specifically "music player" and then I get specifically music hits (artists, albums, songs etc).

But it sounds like you prefer it to do all of the searches at once. To do this go back to settings, select google search, and turn off "show web suggestions". Now when I type "hawk" I see the matches from all the applications I have selected. I can still do a straight google search by just hitting the right arrow at the top right. But I don't get suggestions. But I think I prefer it that way.
Thanks, and for your problem I think it can be solved by going into the settings of Google Search and turning web suggestions off.