AT&T MVNOs and Unlimited data

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Straight Talk now sells a Nokia smartphone that runs on the AT&T network. The good part is: It comes with an unlocked SIM card! Most GSM TracFone devices have SIM cards that are tied to the device's IMEI.

People have already successfully used Straight Talk SIMs with devices like the Atrix and the Infuse. I'm rhinking of doing this with a Galaxy S2 (supports 850 MHz UMTS band at 21 Mbps down).

Does anyone know if this is against their rules, or is it allowed?

The plan is $45 for unlimited everything, but I believe there is a 1 GB soft cap after which you're throttled down to EDGE.

kc8flb

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
The first rule about using-android-or-iphone-on-a-unlocked-Straight-talk-E71-E5-6790-sim-on-straight-talk-club is not to talk about using-android-or-iphone-on-a-unlocked-Straight-talk-E71-E5-6790-sim-on-straight-talk-club.

xda is where you want to be.

;)

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
The first rule about using-android-or-iphone-on-a-unlocked-Straight-talk-E71-E5-6790-sim-on-straight-talk-club is not to talk about using-android-or-iphone-on-a-unlocked-Straight-talk-E71-E5-6790-sim-on-straight-talk-club.

;)

So it's against their rules?

alent1234

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
yes it's against the rules. reason the pre-paid plans have unlimited data is because they have slow phones that can't use as much data as the more advanced phones

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

;)

Go on ;)

kc8flb

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
yes it's against the rules. reason the pre-paid plans have unlimited data is because they have slow phones that can't use as much data as the more advanced phones

Bingo. that is correct. Unlimited is a marketing term. in reality you can use about 5000 min a month and 2 gb of data before being shutoff. If that works for you, android or iphone on straight talk 45 unlimited plan makes much sense. You just have to be aware of the real limits. Things like streaming netflix will probably not be an option.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Bingo. that is correct. Unlimited is a marketing term. in reality you can use about 5000 min a month and 2 gb of data before being shutoff. If that works for you, android or iphone on straight talk 45 unlimited plan makes much sense. You just have to be aware of the real limits. Things like streaming netflix will probably not be an option.

The current AT&T plans are capped at 2 GB, anyway. I'd just save money. I have Wi-Fi access for the heavy stuff.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The current AT&T plans are capped at 2 GB, anyway. I'd just save money. I have Wi-Fi access for the heavy stuff.

If you are smart with usage its a great idea. I joined up last week and should have my SGSII tomorrow. Super excited about it and so far coverage is much much better then what I had on Sprint.

From what I have read they do normally warn you before cutting you completely. I figured if I get a warning I might try out H20 or cutback on usage.

But you are absolutely right...its a great deal and offers good savings in comparison with AT&T if you are responsible with the usage.

Their E71 is just as capable to use the amount of data as anything, it does have youtube app. If you get warning it would be a good idea to mention you are using that and they will likely just tell you to cool off.

Anyway....they had/have E71 refurbs for $99 so its not a super large upfront investment.

Below is the site that should help you with settings and other questions you might have....

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ything-you-need-to-know(so-please-stop-asking)

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
If you are smart with usage its a great idea. I joined up last week and should have my SGSII tomorrow. Super excited about it and so far coverage is much much better then what I had on Sprint.

From what I have read they do normally warn you before cutting you completely. I figured if I get a warning I might try out H20 or cutback on usage.

But you are absolutely right...its a great deal and offers good savings in comparison with AT&T if you are responsible with the usage.

Their E71 is just as capable to use the amount of data as anything, it does have youtube app. If you get warning it would be a good idea to mention you are using that and they will likely just tell you to cool off.

Anyway....they had/have E71 refurbs for $99 so its not a super large upfront investment.

Below is the site that should help you with settings and other questions you might have....

How To: Straight Talk And Android! Everything you need to know(so please stop asking))

My plan was to by the international unlocked SGSII and use it. I can always return the E71, or if the Wal-Mart store catches on, I can make up most of what I spent by selling it on EBay.

I'm also hearing that they have another smartphone that runs on T-Mobile bands. That should be useful for people who want to use an unlocked T-Mobile device.

I don't see why Straight Talk doesn't welcome this. As long as people don't go overboard on the data, I see this as a moneymaker for them.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
My plan was to by the international unlocked SGSII and use it. I can always return the E71, or if the Wal-Mart store catches on, I can make up most of what I spent by selling it on EBay.

I'm also hearing that they have another smartphone that runs on T-Mobile bands. That should be useful for people who want to use an unlocked T-Mobile device.

I don't see why Straight Talk doesn't welcome this. As long as people don't go overboard on the data, I see this as a moneymaker for them.

Idk why they don't embrace it. Only thing I can think of is AT&T is preventing them from doing so. Imagine an iPhone for $45 a month with the same cap as regular AT&T? Since they are at the mercy of using AT&T towers they wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers.

The Walmart is $189 ish in comparison to the $99 refurb. I would say go with refurb personally. Its a bit more work since you have to wait for shipping. My guess will be though that you will have to wait for the SGSII shipping also. Its free two day shipping from ST iirc.

If you went that route you might even make more by selling it on eBay then you would if you paid full retail for it.

The T-Mobile bands I believe is only in certain areas. I am not positive on that though. They do show 4 different maps. They have phones on towers across all Networks. But I wanted AT&T for GSM and the price. :)

My international SGSII HOPEFULLY will be delivered on time tomorrow so I can play with it. I been using my Nexus One and stuck on Edge. Which actually has been better to me then Sprint's network has. But then again I am not trying streaming and stuff on it. Sprint was unlimited so I didn't care much about usage. Even though it wasn't overwhelmingly large. 1-2 gigs a month.

Other thing ppl mention is that ST has a daily limit. They don't want you to use more then 300mb or so in a day. So I might watch that also.

I would grab the refurb for $99.99 if I were you. Smaller initial investment.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Idk why they don't embrace it. Only thing I can think of is AT&T is preventing them from doing so. Imagine an iPhone for $45 a month with the same cap as regular AT&T? Since they are at the mercy of using AT&T towers they wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers.

The Walmart is $189 ish in comparison to the $99 refurb. I would say go with refurb personally. Its a bit more work since you have to wait for shipping. My guess will be though that you will have to wait for the SGSII shipping also. Its free two day shipping from ST iirc.

If you went that route you might even make more by selling it on eBay then you would if you paid full retail for it.

The T-Mobile bands I believe is only in certain areas. I am not positive on that though. They do show 4 different maps. They have phones on towers across all Networks. But I wanted AT&T for GSM and the price. :)

My international SGSII HOPEFULLY will be delivered on time tomorrow so I can play with it. I been using my Nexus One and stuck on Edge. Which actually has been better to me then Sprint's network has. But then again I am not trying streaming and stuff on it. Sprint was unlimited so I didn't care much about usage. Even though it wasn't overwhelmingly large. 1-2 gigs a month.

Other thing ppl mention is that ST has a daily limit. They don't want you to use more then 300mb or so in a day. So I might watch that also.

I'm only interested in the T-Mobile bands because they have 4G coverage here. They are the only carrier that does, but if Straight Talk doesn't work off their towers here, It's pointless. I'm also still in a contract, so I need to do math and see if it's worth the $200 ETF.

kc8flb

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

You cannot sell the donor phone while you are using the sim. If the donor phone is reactivated, they will kill the sim. They are tied together. You also need that phone in case you ned to call straight talk customer service. Put it back in the box and put it somewhere you won't lose it.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm only interested in the T-Mobile bands because they have 4G coverage here. They are the only carrier that does, but if Straight Talk doesn't work off their towers here, It's pointless. I'm also still in a contract, so I need to do math and see if it's worth the $200 ETF.

I am fairly sure that you will get no 4G or 3G speeds with an international SGSII. It will be stuck on 2G so idk why that should make a difference.

AT&T 3G should be enough imo as long as the coverage is good. They are normally between 1.5 and 2.5 megs down. Its not like you can stream netflix/youtube all day with that kind of uncertain cap. Their speeds are more then adequate to download apps/check email/and browse the web.

But what it comes down to is how is the overall coverage.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I am fairly sure that you will get no 4G or 3G speeds with an international SGSII. It will be stuck on 2G so idk why that should make a difference.

AT&T 3G should be enough imo as long as the coverage is good. They are normally between 1.5 and 2.5 megs down. Its not like you can stream netflix/youtube all day with that kind of uncertain cap. Their speeds are more then adequate to download apps/check email/and browse the web.

But what it comes down to is how is the overall coverage.

T-Mobile will have an SGS variant soon. It can be unlocked.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

T-Mobile will have an SGS variant soon. It can be unlocked.

Well....I was going off your "plan" of buying an international unlocked SGSII. Which would not run off T-Mobile. Also their T-Mobile is dependent on where you live and tbh I am not too sure they come with unlocked SIMs in T-Mobile.

You might be better of with Simple Mobile since they exclusively run off T-Mobile and have no rules about bringing your own device. Everything for $40 with slow data or $60 for unlimited 4G. T-Mobile itself has $50 for 100mb 4G and then unlimited slow after that also.

But it likely will not have to be unlocked if it runs on their towers. You don't need to unlock AT&T devices to work on their towers even with ST. Just change the APN settings and you are off.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Well....I was going off your "plan" of buying an international unlocked SGSII. Which would not run off T-Mobile. Also their T-Mobile is dependent on where you live and tbh I am not too sure they come with unlocked SIMs in T-Mobile.

You might be better of with Simple Mobile since they exclusively run off T-Mobile and have no rules about bringing your own device. Everything for $40 with slow data or $60 for unlimited 4G. T-Mobile itself has $50 for 100mb 4G and then unlimited slow after that also.

But it likely will not have to be unlocked if it runs on their towers. You don't need to unlock AT&T devices to work on their towers even with ST. Just change the APN settings and you are off.

Meh. My T-Mobile plan is $60 before taxes. And the E73 is the ST phone that comes with an unlocked T-Mobile SIM.

nitestorm

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I've been using a sim card with the $15/mth unlimited data plan (for ATT non-smartphones) on an unlocked Motorola Milestone. I want to upgrade to 4g service. Can I use this sim card to an unlocked LTE phone like the Samsung Skyrocket and get up to LTE speed?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance