ETF Question

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
When you call to cancel your service with att, providing you haven't finished your contract yet, do they make you pay the ETF right there on the spot? or do they just add it to your bill?

Dansport

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I worked at an AT&T call center and the ETF is added to the bill. They will actually give you a good amount of time to pay it because they don't turn accounts over to collections for at least 60 days, usually 90 days.(the phone number is put back in the pool on day 60.),

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If your looking to KEEP your phone number make sure you don't cancel first. Bring your activated phone to your carrier of your choice. They will cancel it for you when they change your service.

Just be sure to bring your last bill with you. They need the ACCT# and all of that to port you over. (IF that's what your doing) otherwise just ignore my post! :p

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I am actually porting my number to T-Mobile, bought it from wirefly and the HTC Sensation 4G should be here today. I thought I had to cancel with AT&T though, I didn't know that they would cancel for me.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
NO!

When they port your number (Or activate your phone) AT&T will be notified by them. Its the same with all of the cell companies. I ported from Verizon to Sprint 3-4 years ago. If you want the same number don't cancel yet. What you should do though after you get your new phone call AT&T and make sure they did cancel 3-4 business days later. This way you got a peace of mind that it is canceled. However I am 100% sure thats how it works! :)

Enjoy your new HTC device! I love my Evo 3D. Plus the money you will save by switching to T-mobile!

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I meant cancelling after I have my number ported and activated on T-Mobile, not cancelling before then. Sorry for the misunderstanding lol. I will call them next week then, since today is thursday.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Cgardner is spot on. When T-Mobile activates the port process, your account at AT&T will cancel once the port is finished. I always recommend, as it's been said already, to call AT&T once you've gotten your port confirmation text from T-Mobile just to confirm that your old account is closed. Other than that, enjoy your new Sensation and welcome to the T-Mobile family :)