Device Upgrade Pricing - Why higher for Family plans?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am rapidly approaching my eligibility to upgrade my terribly out-of-date Aria. Naturally, I am eager to get something new, and have begun the research project.

On Amazon Wireless, I see a large difference between the pricing of phone upgrades to individual plans and family plans. For example, if I was on an individual plan and wanted to upgrade to a Galaxy S II, the cost would be $99. However, since I am on a family plan, the cost is $159. This is the case for all devices (Skyrocket = $99 vs. $199).

What gives? Why the big difference between the two? I want to upgrade my wife's phone as well, so that could be an extra $200 in upgrade costs vs. what I would pay if we were two individual plans.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't seem right to me. Did you check A&T to see if it is the same way? I would contact Amazon and have them verify that it's not a mistake.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
That doesn't seem right to me. Did you check A&T to see if it is the same way? I would contact Amazon and have them verify that it's not a mistake.

AT&T won't show me discount pricing yet since I am not eligible yet (2 more weeks). However, I went to Walmart's wireless site and they don't show a difference between the prices. Leads you to think that it is an error with Amazon.

PewterL31

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Its an Amazon error there is no difference the price is the same for nation or family plans.

Sent from my Samsung Skyrocket

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Amazon does that on purpose. so do most places for certain phones. I'm in the same boat as you (aria included). I went into Costco and price its same for individual/family upgrade on gs2.

I'm waiting to see how good the xperia ion and htc one x are before i renew tho.

Damasterjj

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I think they do this on purpose because technically family plans are cheaper than single lines. but just check for good sale prices!

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I think they do this on purpose because technically family plans are cheaper than single lines. but just check for good sale prices!

Yeah, but the price of the plan doesn't affect Amazon. Unless AT&T is giving Amazon different subsidies. If so, then that's AT&T just screwing Amazon out of customers.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Amazon does that on purpose. so do most places for certain phones. I'm in the same boat as you (aria included). I went into Costco and price its same for individual/family upgrade on gs2.

I'm waiting to see how good the xperia ion and htc one x are before i renew tho.

Yeah, I think I'm going to wait too. That is, if I can wait that long. I don't want to get back into the same boat I am in with a phone that technologically won't last very long, but I also don't want to have to pay an arm and a leg for the latest and greatest.

EDIT: I posted a new thread in the Aria section asking what other people's strategies were in upgrading from their Aria.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
This would be an Amazon error. There is no difference in price if you are upgrading your device on an individual plan or if you are on a Family plan. Shouild be the same as each other, but prices will vary depending on where you are upgrading, i.e Amazon, best buy, radioshack, AT&T.