stolen phone, update offered (if I decide to).

adammcgovern

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
hey folks, so to make a long story short my htc inspire was stolen last night and it sucked! ATT would not help me locate it for the life of me. I even spoke to the superdupervisor. whatever though, i have insurance. my lookout couldn't locate my phone, but i didn't really expect it to anyway. i just resigned myself to knowing that the guy who stole it got nothing more than a expensive paper weight. i called att this morning to have a phone sent out to me and as expected they were going to send me a refurbished inspire. there's nothing wrong with refurbs nowadays but after running through my options with her she came back on the line and offered me a brand new skyrocket for 99 bucks (i'm not due for an upgrade til november, i think). I know that the skyrocket is a sweet phone.....obviously more capable than the inspire (not to take anything away from my inspire, i loved it) so i went for it. i know there are some great phones coming out in the next few months but its too late for that. if anyone has an opinion i'd like to hear it as i will be new to samsung. and if you agree or disagree dont hold back as i would welcome your pov. I forgot to add that she threw in an otterbox and screen protector. thanks, gov

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Why would you say the theif got an expensive paperweight? Just curious. Also, did you try any other methods to locate it? There are quite a few out there.

adammcgovern

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, I attempted to locate it via Lookout Mobile Security but was not able to. The guy (he lives down the hall from my buddy and his girl. One of those people who randomly stop by and overstay their welcome) who stole it has been arrested before for stealing an iphone from a doctor. This was the doctor who had been treating his dads cancer....what a turd? I also found out from the cops that he was also arrested and fired from his last job for stealing an ipad and an xbox, and this was at a nursing home. I went through att to see if they would help to locate it but the told me that there is nothing they could do but that they were really sorry for my situation. I didn't have any luck with Sense either. Aside from that I didn't really know what else to do and I'm certain that getting it back was not going to happen. What's funny is that a week ago I was at a laundromat for some rugs and before putting them in the dryer I noticed that there was an ipod touch in there. Took it out but couldn't turn it on til i got home and initiated a charge. I got it turned on but the girl didn't have any contacts set up. I ended up sending one of her fb friends a message and got a call back 3 minutes after that. Within 30 mins I was able to return it to the owner. I didn't think that karma worked this way.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I must be missing something. If you know who stole it, how have you not been able to get it back? Or did he sell it already? I assume you reported it to the police since you mentioned you found out info on this guy from them.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Well you made out with the better in the end here. Still sucks that your phone was stolen, but look what you are getting in return. Nice.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm so sorry that your phone was stolen! I hate how people take advantage of others! But Verdes8891is right: you solved your problem, got a brand new phone, and have some free accessories! Wahoo! Maybe do some research on mobile tracking and how to protect your data. I know BlackBerry has BlackBerry Protect, and iPhones also have a similar version. Both platforms have a PC system that give the GPS location of the phone, locks it, and you also have the option to erase all data on the phone. I'm sure Android has a similar app for it, since it's just as cool as the others! :)

adammcgovern

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks y'all. @pazzo....i know who stole it but when we weren't paying attention to where he was he must've hidden somewhere outside the apt in order to gain access to it later...he's a clepto. I don't really know how they operate, but i think that when he enters a room the only thing he sees or even considers is "what is of value to me here and how can i get it". I could've stopped him from leaving and asked him to 'cough' but if Iet it burn me up than I would be the one pissed off all day. I spent enough time in the marine corps figurin out what really matters and not to really care about a phone that i can replace...even if it was a great phone. Honestly, me and my Inspire would be rockin out to podcasts every night. The only problem with that is figuring out where you left off in the morning on your way to work. In the end it was a bag of beans.

Reactions: pazzo02

PewterL31

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Inspire can be tracked if you had it setup in settings. Now if the phone is off most tracking software can not track the phone.

Sent from my Samsung Skyrocket

wakers8569

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
What a deal. I think Karma did come back to you...heck, you got $50-$75 worth of accessories alone (depending on the Otterbox). I think you will LOVE your new SII SR. I sure love mine...had it 2 months now. Congrats.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084