RE: AT&T 'updates' data usage - how does this actually work?

Chevy-SS

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
RE: AT&T 'updates' data usage - how does this actually work?

I have 200mb/month plan. Yeah, I know it's very low, but I rarely use my phone as an online device. Mostly just use home computer.

Anyway, even with GPS turned off and home WiFi activated, my data usage creeps up constantly, sometimes reaching the limit. What the heck is eating up my data allotment? I am using "ONAVO" and it simply lists "Android OS and others" as main data user.

Much of the bloatware seems to be updating every week or two. Are these 'updates' eating my data allotment? If so, why am I being charged for the data when I don't even want the bloatware???? This is driving me nuts. Is there some way to completely prevent any 'updating' unless active WiFi present?

Would be grateful for any advice or guidance.

Many thanks......... :)

-

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: AT&T 'updates' data usage - how does this actually work?

Under Settings > Wireless & Networks there are a couple of things you could try. You could uncheck the Mobile network checkbox. That would completely disconnect your data when you're not on wifi. Or under Mobile networks, see if there is a setting for Always On mobile data, and uncheck that. You can also install a toggle widget to more easily turn on and off mobile data. Under Wifi settings, hit Menu > Advanced and set the wifi sleep policy to never. And under Accounts & Sync, you could set everything to manual sync. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Chevy-SS

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

If you're on wi-fi, that doesn't effect your data allotment.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note.

Not true, see my previous post. If your wifi sleeps and you have always-on mobile data checked, your data allotment will get used even if you're in your wifi area.

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Not true, see my previous post. If your wifi sleeps and you have always-on mobile data checked, your data allotment will get used even if you're in your wifi area.

Well if your wi-fi is sleeping, you're not not wi-fi Lol. I believe the default is "never" anyways. Also I am not seeing this "always on" option under mobile networks..

Last edited:

Chevy-SS

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

Under Settings > Wireless & Networks there are a couple of things you could try. You could uncheck the Mobile network checkbox. That would completely disconnect your data when you're not on wifi. Or under Mobile networks, see if there is a setting for Always On mobile data, and uncheck that. You can also install a toggle widget to more easily turn on and off mobile data. Under Wifi settings, hit Menu > Advanced and set the wifi sleep policy to never. And under Accounts & Sync, you could set everything to manual sync. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Under Accounts & Sync, I found "Background Data" checked, and also "Auto Sync" was checked. I unchecked both of those.

Thanks again...... :)

Still, I need something that will restrict all updating to my active WiFi.

It really seems like AT&T has this "data usage" thing rigged up to try and snare users like me into going over the allotment, and thus they can bag me for an extra fee. In other words, it's almost legalized robbery. If a piece of THEIR bloatware needs an update, then AT&T should be paying for that data usage.

-

Last edited:

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Well if your wi-fi is sleeping, you're not not wi-fi Lol. I believe the default is "never" anyways. Also I am not seeing this "always on" option under mobile networks..

On my Inspire, it's Settings>Wireless & Networks>Mobile networks>Enable always-on mobile data. It is possible that your device doesn't have this setting. I can only go by what I know.

Also, my wifi sleep policy was 15 minutes by default.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Root and remove the bloat. Go into the Market/Play Store and untick the auto update settings or change it to WiFi only.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dawsonnathalie