AT&T smartphone without purchasing a data plan

troup1998

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I would like to get my son a smartphone but do not want to pay for the data plan. He would use data in wifi spots only.

Is there an android phone with wifi that you can put on the AT&T network where they won't charge me for a data plan?

Thanks, Mike

rockigirl

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Check out the android Go phones. I use one for work and I pay $50 for unlimited calls and text. No data plan required because I use wifi.

troup1998

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Which model do you have? Do I have to set him up on a "go phone plan". We want to keep him on the family plan @ $9.99 for his phone but have wifi availability. Thanks, Mike

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
If you want to keep him on your family plan you will need to have data on the smart phone ie windows iPhone Android etc. No carrier is going to sell a smart phone and activate it with a data plan. Like previous post only option is a go phone but that can b costly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
moosc is correct. If you want to get a smartphone on your accoutn it will require a minimum of $20 data plan added onto the phone that is being used. Even if say you were to purchase one online from say ebay or craigslist what have you, and you stick the sim card into it, the network will recognize it is a smartphone and automatically add the data plan.

j1787

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Rumor has it family data sharing will be available soon. Maybe wait it out before jumping into anything just yet?

zoso28

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
You can buy a Rogers (Canada) version of a smartphone that is compatible with at&t but wont be recognized as a smartphone because its not in at&t's smartphone imei database.

That way you can add medianet for $10 or no data at all if you prefer. Actually any gsm unlocked phone will work if you're not using data, it'll just run on the edge network if it doesn't have at&t 3g frequencies.

Sent from my SGSII/Note/9900 using Tapatalk 2/XDA Pro

chrisfl1963

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You can get a smart phone from Craig's list that att doesn't sell and not pay. just call before you buy. I had a old AT&T tilt phone and just used Wi-Fi.

Sent from my MB865 using Android Central Forums

dolaku

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
With your SIM card in a dummy phone, call AT&T and ask them to block data from being received on your phone, because you don't want to be charged extra for something you're not using, or may accidentally activate. They will block data for you for whatever reason as long as your SIM is not in a smartphone/internet phone because they can tract and know exactly what type of phone you have your SIM in.

Now you can switch your SIM into your smartphone, and only use wifi. On your next billing cycle, you can check online at the AT&T website for your account info. Here you will be able to see the data plan option, there shouldn't be any.

But if you want to double check, click [Add/change features].
Scroll down to [Web, Text, & More]
Under [Mobile web packages]
You should see the [Data opt-out] option selected

Enjoy :D

samrose1016

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey Mike if you get him a unlocked GSM carrier phone (i sugest the Samsung captivate glide) off of amazon ebay or overstock or any other websites like that, you will have to pay retail price for the phone, but then all you have to do is insert you sons sim card into the phone and he will be able to text and call and use data in your household or at any place where wifi is available. The downside to this is that att can see what kind of phone your sim card is in so they might try to add a data plan to the contract but they will have to ask you first, if they do ask you just deny it or threaten to leave them if they add the plan.
Hope i helped,
Sam

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
The downside to this is that att can see what kind of phone your sim card is in so they might try to add a data plan to the contract but they will have to ask you first, if they do ask you just deny it or threaten to leave them if they add the plan.
Hope i helped,
Sam

Nope, you didn't. AT&T can add a 3GB data plan for any device that their internal systems deem a smartphone. If a SIM goes into a phone that is a smartphone, it automatically adds a 30 plan, which you can call and get changed to the 20 dollar plan. This is listed in the AT&T terms and conditions that you get when you activate, contract or not.

So be careful. If you get the message, put the SIM back in a dumb phone before calling Customer Care.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
What would happen if you started a $25 go phone account with a dumb phone but then put the sim in a smartphone of some sort? So it could use wifi, but not have to pay for data? Or is like regular account and they would auto add a data package?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
What would happen if you started a $25 go phone account with a dumb phone but then put the sim in a smartphone of some sort? So it could use wifi, but not have to pay for data? Or is like regular account and they would auto add a data package?

It will still charge you. They will put the $30 charge on your account automatically.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Looking again at AT&T website, I'm not so sure about that. The way I read it is if you don't buy the data package (NOT the same as postpaid acct ) then you just won't have data access...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350742865.943364.jpg

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I was always told that you only had to have data on the line for one month, then you could cancel it. Of course, the fact of expensive pay as you go data always is looming if your phone is prone to using apps that require a always on connection.

Note2 or Note10, that is the question

Paddy Wack

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have been using smartphones on AT&T (monthly plan, no contract) without a data plan or being charged for data for over a year now. When I set up the account I was using an old Razr without data capability, but then I got an unlocked smart phone off ebay, dropped my sim card in, and the first thing I did when booting it up is turn off data network access in the settings. I get by just fine on the wifi networks at home, school and work, and use an offline map app for getting around. I barely miss data.

I've actually had conversations about this with the customer service folks at AT&T, if your phone isn't trying to access their data network then the system can't detect you are using a smartphone. The only downside is, I can't use MMS to send or receive pics via text, since it apparently uses the same system. oh well.

wailuku43

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I know this post was originally posted in April, but I'am so curious!

We have a family plan with ATT, 2 year contract is done.

My sister has had two used Iphones and she uses WI-FI in our house only, and ATT has not contacted my parents and they didn't even add any data plan what so ever. So what is the deal with that?

I also ordered a GSM unlocked smartphone on amazon. It is a global phone originally for verizon. Are they going to find out? I just wanto use my smartphone in peace of my own home man!?!?! and why havent they charged extra for my sister, she has had the iphone for over a year and a half now haha.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

My sister has had two used Iphones and she uses WI-FI in our house only, and ATT has not contacted my parents and they didn't even add any data plan what so ever. So what is the deal with that?

I also ordered a GSM unlocked smartphone on amazon. It is a global phone originally for verizon. Are they going to find out? I just wanto use my smartphone in peace of my own home man!?!?! and why havent they charged extra for my sister, she has had the iphone for over a year and a half now haha.

Does the iPhone have active AT&T SIM card or is inactive? If it is inactive then AT&T does not care, if the phone is active I have always had them charge for a data plan with the phone.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

Ok, it is all about the IMEI number on your phone and whether AT&T has it in their database. They have all iPhones and any phone model they previously sold. They even have some similar models(Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus for example) they have never sold. If it is in their data base, they will add the data plan, PERIOD, whether you have data enabled or not.
If you purchase a model from Europe or Canada that they have never sold, chances are they will not recognize it and you will not have a data plan added. It isn't 100%, but it should work. Here is a link to a thread that shows phones that work:
[GUIDE][10-31-2012] List of phones compatible with ATT Family/MediaNet Plan - xda-developers

I currently use a HTC Radar from T-Mobile for my mother in law and they do not recognize it. I have the dumb phone $10 unlimited MediaNet data on it with no problems.
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone 5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams