As a Verizon user, I need an Explanation!

cvette93

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Can someone please explain to me why AT&T seems to get a better selection of smartphones? Yeah Verizon gets everything labeled Droid, all of which I don't care for except the DInc, but what about the HTC One, GNote, and Sony phones?

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Probably because at&t may have a contract with the manufacturers to get the top phones, or maybe it is just because they want to give their customers a wide choice of top end phones so they do not leave and go to other carriers.

I have been a customer on at&t and Cingular before that, and have never been disappointed with their selection of phones that meet my needs or wants.

May also have something to do with the largest GSM network in America. Most manufacturers look to GSM carriers first, then Sprint and Verizon are a secondary thought because of their CDMA technology. That should be equaling out soon though as Verizon and Sprint continue to roll out their LTE networks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: cvette93

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Good question. I wold consider leaving sprint for vzw but they don't have any phones i want.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Can someone please explain to me why AT&T seems to get a better selection of smartphones? Yeah Verizon gets everything labeled Droid, all of which I don't care for except the DInc, but what about the HTC One, GNote, and Sony phones?

Verizon gets DROID because that's what they wanted to get. For the most part,carriers are the customers for the OEMs - not the end users.

With DROID (and DROID Incredible, EVO, Epic, G-series, and myTouch) carriers wanted to further brand the devices they sold.

Samsung has been the only one able to somewhat dictate releases like Apple has, and I imagine it's been a long, uphill battle for them.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

S-Doo-1965

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Verizon and Sprint as said before us CDMA. Even with the LTE add to the data side, the basic phone radio still uses a different standard then the rest of the world. Much easier to make the world phone work for T-mobile and AT&T>

crackcookie

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
It wasn't always this way, remember when the iphone was exclusive? Back then ATT got next to nothing when it came to Androids. Now, not only are they the largest GSM in North America (Tmobile I hear could be running out of money and not want to upgrade its towers) but they have a large install base that was full of iphones and people who were upset for one reason or another.

So you throw in a rabid customer base who always wants the latest and greatest, and the biggest NA carrier so your international phones can come over and use the same radios and you are setup for success here.

quamdar

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't know but I'd imagine part of it has something to do with ATT being GSM like a majority of the rest of the world.

Make a phone to sell on CDMA in USA or a phone to sell in USA and abroad? Seems to me like the second one would be more profitable for companies to design...

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Selection is better because it's easier to use international gsm phones than convert them to CDMA like vzw and sprint.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

How can you not care for the Droid Razr Maxx, but you're concerned about not getting a Sony phone? That's like having no interest in a car that runs, but you would kill for a car without tires.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21