How does AT&T know I have changed fones??

paulw3

May 21, 2012
Visit site
If I have a messaging fone on say AT&T like a Samsung Eternity and I put the SIM into a Samsung GS2 how does AT&T know apart from the IMIE being different that the SGS2 is a smart fone?? Is these some info sent with the IMEI that identifies the fone make and type??

TIA

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
When you activate your phone its registered with the network. If you look in your phone status you will see your serial number for your phone. If you can see it, so can AT&T and can tell you are not using your phone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

paulw3

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanx for your reply. The reason I used the AT&T example is that i assumed was one people will be familiar with.

I had a case here in New Zealand where I have a Samsung W531 CDMA/GSM fone. I put a Vodafone NZ SIM into it so that I could have CDMA for personal use and GSM for work use without changing fones. This worked well for about 6 months and then one day the GSM account said "Limited Service" I checked other Vodafone SIMs and they failed as well but another GSM carrier SIM worked fine so the fone was OK. I asked Vodafone and they said that they weren't blocking it hence my question. Is the fone make and model carried in the IMEI registration process to the carrier as I know someone else with the same fone that has the same problem..

moke

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
just saw your post, hence the lag in response.

13+ years under my belt working tech support for att and vzw is my basis for what i say next.

yes, your carrier can see what make and model phone you have based on the imei (international mobile equipment identifier) aka esn (electronic serial number).

just as a vin # on a car carries information above and beyond when you vehicle was manufactured mobile devices are also branded.

the car that was right behind yours on the manufacturing line most likely did not have a sequential vin number. variations in engine size, transmission, and others would make the changes that would eliminate the sequential vin number possibilities.

though phones do not always have the same flexibility of components as cars do yet, (yes, there ARE 16 gb 32 gb and 64 gb versions of handsets as well as color variations) manufacturers do get blocks of esn #'s reserved for their products.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad