Charging for Face time over cellular?

Guy4Tech

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
OK, I know all of you have heard of this, but AT&T basically game out and said that it will charge for whatever it can get away with such as using video chat over 3G. I was curious on what everyone's thought on this was. Sprint came out and said it would never do that, while AT&T and Verizon have been hush-hush.

I think if I am paying for my data, I should be able to use for how ever I want to use it! Would anyone consider leaving their carrier if they decided to do that?

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It's hard to say if I'd leave a carrier over it, mostly because once one does it they'll all do it. So you'll end up giving one carrier an ETF of a few hundred bucks, then move to a new carrier who announces 3 weeks into your 2-year contract that, guess what?, you'll be paying the same fee your old carrier charged.

I feel that in the time of tiered service and metered bandwidth, if I'm paying for bandwidth and there are already limits on what I can use, there should not be additional limits on what I should be able to use it for.

I also think this violates Net Neutrality principles, if not the actual rules.

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
If your carrier flipped the script on you like that, you may be able to wiggle out of your contract, without having to pay an ETF, since they that isn't part of the contract you agreed to. I believe that there is a window of time to do such, like 30 or 90 days. After that, you have implicitly agreed to the change in contract. I'm simply basing this off of what a friend of mine did when Sprint changed the plan he was on

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
If your carrier flipped the script on you like that, you may be able to wiggle out of your contract, without having to pay an ETF, since they that isn't part of the contract you agreed to. I believe that there is a window of time to do such, like 30 or 90 days. After that, you have implicitly agreed to the change in contract. I'm simply basing this off of what a friend of mine did when Sprint changed the plan he was on

This is in no way a change to the terms and conditions to an existing contract. Facetime over the cellular data network is soemthing that is not even available right now on an Iphone to begin with, so whe Apple makes it available, that is a feature change on the phone and something you can add on to your account. It is not something that is in the contract you sign.

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
you can use Skype over cellular network so why would anyone pay for face time. There is an alternative, a better alternative.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2