Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: AT&T unusable at large sporting events?

I spoke to an ATT rep today and he told me during large events they have to put up mobile towers or they have issues with the service. Bummer. The service seems to work great otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoneguy108 View Post
    I spoke to an ATT rep today and he told me during large events they have to put up mobile towers or they have issues with the service. Bummer. The service seems to work great otherwise.
    Yeah that's true. Or what AT&T had been doing is setting up a DAS. Distributed Antenna system which is just a bunch of mini antennas strategically placed throughout the stadium to distribute an even signal and reduce congestion in the system

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by pazzo02 View Post

I've never noticed any problems at Chicago events.
    Me neither. Everything is good whenever I'm at Wrigley Field. Well, everything except the Cubs, but that's a different story.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA
    brkaras likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paul-c View Post
    Me neither. Everything is good whenever I'm at Wrigley Field. Well, everything except the Cubs, but that's a different story.

I am in Chicago area as well. Currently with verizon and thinking of switching to att. How is your att service? How is it around chicagoland? What about in buildings?

I haven't had any complaints at all with AT&T in Chicago. Service holds up well for me in buildings, too. I've had a much better experience on AT&T than I ever did on Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by brkaras View Post
    Yeah that's true. Or what AT&T had been doing is setting up a DAS. Distributed Antenna system which is just a bunch of mini antennas strategically placed throughout the stadium to distribute an even signal and reduce congestion in the system

A DAS won't necessarily help with congestion but it will allow for better signal inside of buildings.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

The Cubs are just imposing their stink upon AT&T! jk! AT&T is solid in Chicago and Milwaukee with a pure LTE signal straight from the far reaches of Milwaukee to the far burbs of Chicago south to Gary, IN. By far they have the best coverage in our region due to their long standing history in the Midwest.

You build your network for "average plus a buffer", but sporting events bring a LOT of people into a small area for a short period of time.
    Building a network to support that maximum capacity would mean letting most of it sit idle the other 6.5 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by NickLippert View Post
    A DAS won't necessarily help with congestion but it will allow for better signal inside of buildings.

DAS helps with congestion because instead of a large number of people trying to use one single tower you have a series of mini antenna's placed throughout the stadium allowing an even distribution of signal for all to use. You will always get a signal if your close to any tower the issue is connecting to that tower with 80000 others all trying as well. Read up on it before you correct me! Thanks

Didn't have any issues at the Bulls game last night, either. My brother was sitting next to me and he was struggling with his Verizon connection.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR i

Didn't have any issues at the Bulls game last night, either. My brother was sitting next to me and he was struggling with his Verizon connection.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR i
    I was at United Center as well for Bulls Bucks game and my LTE was flying and my buddy has T Mobile and his phone was unusable

Good to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by brkaras View Post
    DAS helps with congestion because instead of a large number of people trying to use one single tower you have a series of mini antenna's placed throughout the stadium allowing an even distribution of signal for all to use. You will always get a signal if your close to any tower the issue is connecting to that tower with 80000 others all trying as well. Read up on it before you correct me! Thanks

It is a bunch of tiny antennas all running to a few radio heads, if there are 300 DAS antennas it does not increase the capacity 300 times.

Quote Originally Posted by NickLippert View Post
    It is a bunch of tiny antennas all running to a few radio heads, if there are 300 DAS antennas it does not increase the capacity 300 times.

Wow. Really? Really? :what:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12