AT&T unusable at large sporting events?

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It happens to me at Lambeau field but not at Miller Park or Summerfest where you can average 75000 people at any time, didn't have an issue at state fair either. AT&T has portable GSM booster that events can rent so the problem is solvable. Once LTE is up in Green Bay that won't be an issue anymore. It really just depends on how good coverage is in your city

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I was in an LTE area and it was still an issue. No data at all! Network kept going from 4g to LTE to edge.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
ATT addressed that issue this year in WI. All major venues like Lambeau, Miller Park, Bradley Center, Summerfest and State Fair all have DAS in place to prevent network congestion. I would think they are doing that all over the US right now

Good news. It's upsetting to think every time I go to a game I won't have data.

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Good news. It's upsetting to think every time I go to a game I won't have data.

My data flies at Miller Park and at Lambeau. Yeah the more people on it the worse it can be but I've never not had data. Maybe they haven't installed on some areas but AT&T is the original phone service for land and Cell phone in Wisconsin since the 60's so they took care of us pretty well :)

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I spoke to an ATT rep today and he told me during large events they have to put up mobile towers or they have issues with the service. Bummer. The service seems to work great otherwise.

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I spoke to an ATT rep today and he told me during large events they have to put up mobile towers or they have issues with the service. Bummer. The service seems to work great otherwise.

Yeah that's true. Or what AT&T had been doing is setting up a DAS. Distributed Antenna system which is just a bunch of mini antennas strategically placed throughout the stadium to distribute an even signal and reduce congestion in the system

conan1071

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Me neither. Everything is good whenever I'm at Wrigley Field. Well, everything except the Cubs, but that's a different story.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

I am in Chicago area as well. Currently with verizon and thinking of switching to att. How is your att service? How is it around chicagoland? What about in buildings?

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any complaints at all with AT&T in Chicago. Service holds up well for me in buildings, too. I've had a much better experience on AT&T than I ever did on Verizon.

NickLippert

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's true. Or what AT&T had been doing is setting up a DAS. Distributed Antenna system which is just a bunch of mini antennas strategically placed throughout the stadium to distribute an even signal and reduce congestion in the system

A DAS won't necessarily help with congestion but it will allow for better signal inside of buildings.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Me neither. Everything is good whenever I'm at Wrigley Field. Well, everything except the Cubs, but that's a different story.

The Cubs are just imposing their stink upon AT&T! :D jk! AT&T is solid in Chicago and Milwaukee with a pure LTE signal straight from the far reaches of Milwaukee to the far burbs of Chicago south to Gary, IN. By far they have the best coverage in our region due to their long standing history in the Midwest.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
You build your network for "average plus a buffer", but sporting events bring a LOT of people into a small area for a short period of time.
Building a network to support that maximum capacity would mean letting most of it sit idle the other 6.5 days a week.

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
A DAS won't necessarily help with congestion but it will allow for better signal inside of buildings.

DAS helps with congestion because instead of a large number of people trying to use one single tower you have a series of mini antenna's placed throughout the stadium allowing an even distribution of signal for all to use. You will always get a signal if your close to any tower the issue is connecting to that tower with 80000 others all trying as well. Read up on it before you correct me! Thanks

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Didn't have any issues at the Bulls game last night, either. My brother was sitting next to me and he was struggling with his Verizon connection.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR i

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Didn't have any issues at the Bulls game last night, either. My brother was sitting next to me and he was struggling with his Verizon connection.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR i

I was at United Center as well for Bulls Bucks game and my LTE was flying and my buddy has T Mobile and his phone was unusable

NickLippert

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
DAS helps with congestion because instead of a large number of people trying to use one single tower you have a series of mini antenna's placed throughout the stadium allowing an even distribution of signal for all to use. You will always get a signal if your close to any tower the issue is connecting to that tower with 80000 others all trying as well. Read up on it before you correct me! Thanks

It is a bunch of tiny antennas all running to a few radio heads, if there are 300 DAS antennas it does not increase the capacity 300 times.

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
It is a bunch of tiny antennas all running to a few radio heads, if there are 300 DAS antennas it does not increase the capacity 300 times.

Wow. Really? Really? :what:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz