Thinking about At&t

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I am strongly cosidering leaving sprint to join At&t. I use about 3 gigs of data a month (hard to believe on sprints 3g network) lol but have grown frustrated with spotty service, dropped calls and slooow 3G. What are the pro's/con's to At&t. Any HELPFUL info would be appreciated. Btw im in the DC metro area. Thanks

Sent from my Awesome Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk 2 baby.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Do it,im comming from sprint too and at&t is so much better. Their lte speeds are about 10x faster then sprints 3g. Ive seen 25Mbs down on their lte where as sprints wimax only 8Mbs. I got me the one but am gonna trade it for a s3.

Sent from my super awe-esome Htc one x:)

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's looking that way. It looks like have good coverage and lte in the greater DC area......C'mon my fellow at&t subscribers, any help out there??

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Biggest is price. Next is carrier insurance. At&t is more expensive but better coverage and faster speeds make up for it. Sprint will replace your messed up device ight in the store without issue. They never charged me a deductible and were hassle free for the most part. At&t makes you jump through hoops and then mails you the replacement without battery, back (if applicable) and no replacement SD card (even with stolen phones) and they charge a $125 deductible.
Go with AT&T but buy from Best Buy. Get buy back protection and black tie. Black Tie is $9.99/Mo but no deductible, no limit on replacement and will replace all damage. Including dropping phone and water accidents. Then you'll have a fast phone on a fast network with great insurance.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

robthesixthree

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been with at&t for almost ten years (back when it was Cingular and I just had to have me a razr) and I've had no issues with the service at all. Customer support has always been good, always keeping me happy by giving me breaks on my bills and solving any issues I have right away. I called them once and explained that I was on a tight budget and my bill was to high and they gave me free text for a year which took $20 bucks off my bill, saving me $240 that year. Just little things like that. I never had that experience with spirit when I was with them. As far as the service goes its always fast and reliable. My girlfriend has a sprint phone and whenever I'm on it I get so frustrated with the terrible speed of the network.. It's painfully slow. On the speed test she won't even manage a single mb . It's sad. I average between. 10 to 14 and I'm not even on lte in my area yet. So really no complaints.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input so far.......I will be watching closely for the note II announcement for the states and make my decision then. I have never purchased a phone from BB but will look into that option. I have checked ATT's website and they have over 1100 cell improvements in the greater DC area so service looks exceptional along with hspa+ and lte. I am worried about dropped calls as I hear that is a persistent problem on att or at least has been.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input so far.......I will be watching closely for the note II announcement for the states and make my decision then. I have never purchased a phone from BB but will look into that option. I have checked ATT's website and they have over 1100 cell improvements in the greater DC area so service looks exceptional along with hspa+ and lte. I am worried about dropped calls as I hear that is a persistent problem on att or at least has been.

I came from Verizon and sprint to att in the past year. Data speeds are great and coverage is also great for my location in the northwest. My biggest problem with other carriers were slow data speeds. About 300kbps on sprint and around .75-1.5mbps with Verizon. Now with sprint hspa+ I get anywhere from 3-6mbps download. I like the fact that its GSM and most phones released overseas are GSM also so its an easier fix for when they release a us phone not having to change radios and such seems to me a lot of phones released in other countries come to att/T-Mobile over sprint/Verizon. Also u only save about $15 per month with sprint and Verizon and att are the same price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Diordna11

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I spent 15 years with Sprint, 5 with Tmobile and one year with Verizon where I am now. My three children are on ATT with iPhone 4's and they drop calls at an alarming rate. They constantly have problems sending and receiving pictures as well. If you want the best coverage Verizon wins hands down, but you pay dearly for it.
I left T-Mobile for one reason and that was due to a very poor signal at my office where we have a metal roof. My favorite carrier is T-Mobile by a long shot and I would still be there had it not been for that one problem. And yes, I used WiFi calling in my office, but it didn't help texting. I would never consider ATT after seeing my kids problems first hand.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I came from Verizon and sprint to att in the past year. Data speeds are great and coverage is also great for my location in the northwest. My biggest problem with other carriers were slow data speeds. About 300kbps on sprint and around .75-1.5mbps with Verizon. Now with sprint hspa+ I get anywhere from 3-6mbps download. I like the fact that its GSM and most phones released overseas are GSM also so its an easier fix for when they release a us phone not having to change radios and such seems to me a lot of phones released in other countries come to att/T-Mobile over sprint/Verizon. Also u only save about $15 per month with sprint and Verizon and att are the same price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Thanks for the response. I have been dropping alot of calls also and sprints 3g speeds are not good at all either. Very spotty coverage. I am worried their 4g coverage will be spotty as well. I am willing to pay more for solid LTE and relaible coverage

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I spent 15 years with Sprint, 5 with Tmobile and one year with Verizon where I am now. My three children are on ATT with iPhone 4's and they drop calls at an alarming rate. They constantly have problems sending and receiving pictures as well. If you want the best coverage Verizon wins hands down, but you pay dearly for it.
I left T-Mobile for one reason and that was due to a very poor signal at my office where we have a metal roof. My favorite carrier is T-Mobile by a long shot and I would still be there had it not been for that one problem. And yes, I used WiFi calling in my office, but it didn't help texting. I would never consider ATT after seeing my kids problems first hand.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

This is my main concern with switching to att. The dropped calls. I dont want to switch to vzw because I would prefer to have a gsm carrier.

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Tmo and quite happy with speed. I don't drop calls. And I use WiFi calling at home. Texting works fine over WiFi for me. I find that since I'm on WiFi so much I don't use as much data as I did on Sprint, but when I do use it it's blazing fast. And the plan prices are somewhat better than AT&T. Depends on coverage in your area, of course.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Android Central Forums

Dat_guy_Juan

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like good points to me, I will be switching once the Note 2 is released. I don't mind losing my unlimited data since I don't use that much.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Tmo and quite happy with speed. I don't drop calls. And I use WiFi calling at home. Texting works fine over WiFi for me. I find that since I'm on WiFi so much I don't use as much data as I did on Sprint, but when I do use it it's blazing fast. And the plan prices are somewhat better than AT&T. Depends on coverage in your area, of course.

I considered tmo but when my wife dumped sprint before going to vzw she tried tmo and in the house NO 4G, only edge. Swapped sim twice and still no luck. Yes i have wifi n house but if it fails need to depend on phone and that would not cut it. The map said we were n an xcellent area but not according to real life tests. Thats why tmo is out.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like good points to me, I will be switching once the Note 2 is released. I don't mind losing my unlimited data since I don't use that much.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I think when the n2 is released I will play with it exstensively and if I am satisfied I will join the ranks of At&t and try them out for the trial period. Is the trial 14 or 30 days??

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I considered tmo but when my wife dumped sprint before going to vzw she tried tmo and in the house NO 4G, only edge. Swapped sim twice and still no luck. Yes i have wifi n house but if it fails need to depend on phone and that would not cut it. The map said we were n an xcellent area but not according to real life tests. Thats why tmo is out.

FWIW they are now giving air rave equivalents for this issue...

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
FWIW they are now giving air rave equivalents for this issue...

T-Mo is giving out air rave equivalents for no 4g service @ home? Is that correct?

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Have you thought about Verizon? Their AT&T's biggest competition and their prices are about the same. However I've found Verizon to have a MUCH stronger coverage with 4G LTE and even 3G in my area since the past year or so. I've even been able to get Verizon service all the way at my hunting camp which is in GA about an hour from the closest city or town and there's only about a hundred people that live in the area. It's amazing how well they have coverage and it seems to be everywhere! My friends that have ATT up there struggle by on 1x and its only about one bar, not enough to make a call just a text message or two. It just depends on where your located and if you go traveling to a certain are a lot if that's covered. But then again they're about the same price so I see Verizon as being more for the same amount of money.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums