1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Switching to LTE use

Hi all,

Quick question. Right now I'm on a grandfathered unlimited data plan using HSPA+ and was wondering if going to LTE was just a matter of getting an LTE phone and sticking my SIM card in there? Or is it like changing data plans?

Thanks,
    Ho'okani

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    ROM
    Arctic HD son! What what!

Default Re: Switching to LTE use

My friend just did the same thing. She just got to the phone a few hours ago and noticed she didn't have a data connection.. google/forums/just searching lol says you have to call and have them change your data to unlimited LTE in their system. Unfortunately she is NOT the account holder and has to wait until the account holder is off work lol. But I heard it was painless unless you talked to a jerk who tries to tell you, you have to change data plans. That's not true don't let them fool you. As long as you just buy the phone retail or off like a marketplace or something you can keep your unlimited. It's when you buy a phone at a subsidized price things get tricky.. Or at least at VZW (where I am) it's oh you want this phone for $99? Ok say goodbye to your unlimited! Oh you're ok paying $599. Ok you can keep you unlimited. Also if you do have the old 3g card , you may have to get the LTE card which works with both HSPA and 4G LTE devices. However if you've gotten a phone in the last year and a half you should already have the appropriate sim. There is something about throttling your speeds though. LTE throttles at 5GB. Hope this helps! And let me know what happens!

I have an unlimited plan. When I got my GS3 they updated my plan to an unlimited LTE plan and gave me a new SIM card. I am not sure if you have to get a different one or not but mine was replaced because my new phone is microSIM. You should be able to keep the unlimited plan.

You will need an LTE sim card to use LTE. Rogers sent me a full size sim card for my one x and I had it cut to micro.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by NickLippert View Post
    I have an unlimited plan. When I got my GS3 they updated my plan to an unlimited LTE plan and gave me a new SIM card. I am not sure if you have to get a different one or not but mine was replaced because my new phone is microSIM. You should be able to keep the unlimited plan.
    Same thing here. We are not using Verizon and don't have to tiptoe around to keep out unlimited data.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Marble White Galaxy S3
    HTC Rezound
    Acer Iconia A500 32GB