Porting my #

CoolBeenz87

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
So I'm going to make the switch from att to straight talk soon but I want to keep my number. Straight Talks website says that in order to do so I have to have a working line. Does that mean I would have to pay an etf the last month of service with att?

HTC Inspire 4G

MichaelBR

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. You probably have to pay only until the last day the number was with the old provider.

But some warnings: I ported my wife's and my number from Claro to Vivo (in Brazil). Later on I found out a couple of caveats:
  • online SMS services may delay to deliver the SMS. It's not their fault, and they state that in their services. I was going to use an online SMS service to get cheap SMS and to receive SMS warnings for my appointments via Memotoo.com
  • Although officially the phone is now with a new provider, the data still goes through the old provider. That was confirmed here both by the providers and also by the online SMS service (which is from another country)
  • If the new provider doesn't setup things properly, problems may happen. For instance, I usually receive the same SMS from my wife 4 or 5 times in a row. And SMS sent from the old provider simply don't arrive at the new one. It's an issue that is being investigated riight now, but it took me ages to find out was happening.

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
You can also try porting through Google Voice and then use that for all communications. That's what I am doing here in about 10 days. My number already goes through GV with integration from Sprint, so I'll port my number and that will end my contract with Sprint. Once it's ported to GV, it's always going to be my number no matter which carrier I go through. Straight Talk is pretty decent so far, I've only had it for about a week, but I've been pleased with it (minus the slower data speeds).

Vinte419

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
If you are still under contract with AT&T and you port your number to a different provider that will be breaking contract, and they will tack on the etf. Though if you are not under contract with AT&T and just paying month to month, then you will be fine to port your number with no etf. What straight talk means (and this is true with all carriers) is that your phone number has to be active for it to be transferred. If you cut off your service before you transfer your number to another service you will lose your number.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz