Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Issues with "Customer Care"

I've had different customer care reps tell me different things about my account over the phone. Would I be better off going to an ATT Direct Store to get my questions resolved? Or just keep calling 611 until I get someone who's willing to work with me?

I was told that my account would be noted that I would be okay to upgrade a phone this week. Told the gal on Monday that I wanted to be able to take advantage of Black Friday sales and I was looking at sales from both online (Amazon specifically) as well as in store (Best Buy). I was told it wouldn't be a problem. It was apparently a problem. I was told today that the only way I can get an upgrade is to go to an ATT store. By the time I was told this, I was unable to do so today, and therefore would miss out on the sales. All I got in return was an "I'm sorry for the confusion and the inconvenience." I'm not trying to be unreasonable. I just want them to uphold what I was told by one of their own reps.

Kind of ticked off that I missed out on the sales. I had my eyes on an S3.

ROM
    4.1.2 Cyanogen

Default Re: Issues with "Customer Care"

When are you do for an upgrade?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'm technically not due until Dec 7th. But that was my reason for calling on Monday. I have a damaged screen, and flat out asked if there was any way they could move my upgrade date up. Which I was told they could. Until today, when they told me I couldn't unless I went to an ATT store.

ROM
    4.1.2 Cyanogen

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoGirl78 View Post
    I'm technically not due until Dec 7th. But that was my reason for calling on Monday. I have a damaged screen, and flat out asked if there was any way they could move my upgrade date up. Which I was told they could. Until today, when they told me I couldn't unless I went to an ATT store.
    Well, I spoke with several managers and a friend that works there and they could not bump my date up. I was told that they no longer do this due to fraud. So I suspect you were not given proper information but you really have no recourse as it is your word against theirs.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Well, she noted it in my account, which the guy yesterday did say, but yeah. I'm thinking this is going to be a lost cause. The closest ATT store is an hour away, but I was heading over to that town today to do some shopping, so I guess I'll see what happens. :/

ROM
    4.1.2 Cyanogen

Well, if she noted it then you might have a chance. Good luck!

Well, she noted it in my account, which the guy yesterday did say, but yeah. I'm thinking this is going to be a lost cause. The closest ATT store is an hour away, but I was heading over tothat town today to do some shopping, so I guess I'll see what happens. :/
    The store typically tells customers to call customer care. No one take this the wrong way, but get to the menu for upgrading, and make sure you only talk to someone with an accent, specifically Indian. They are generally nicer and twill upgrade you early.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Yeah, it didn't work out yesterday. I told them about what the original person said, and then the confusion. I spent almost an hour in the store, but no dice. They absolutely wouldn't budge.

They did offer to go ahead and upgrade me... but wanted $199 for the S3. Absolutely wouldn't go any lower than that. And that the only way I can upgrade before the Dec 7th date was there in store, and they couldn't do anything to let me upgrade anywhere else. I even got the old "They may sell it for less, but they don't offer the service we do," spiel. So... I guess I'll wait a few more weeks and see what sales prices I can find online because there is no way I'm spending any money in that store.

All I wanted was to be able to take advantage of the Black Friday prices since I was so close to my upgrade anyways. I was honest and upfront about it, and was told it wouldn't be a problem. Then when it came down to it, then no one wanted to work with me and honor what I was told. It's not about upgrading... it's about being allowed to upgrade where I could get a sale price, as I was originally told I could.

ROM
    4.1.2 Cyanogen

Honestly, your upgrade date is coming soon. Why not just wait and get a refurbished s3? That was what I did and it looks brand new.

Whether your upgrade is December
    7 or 27 the best they can do is push you upgrade to the first of the of whatever month your upgrade is on.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by daflake View Post
    Honestly, your upgrade date is coming soon. Why not just wait and get a refurbished s3? That was what I did and it looks brand new.

That's probably what I'm going to do.

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Not to get off topic, but getting correct info from customer care reps has always been a crapshoot in my experience.

That's probably what I'm going to do.
    Call today, they'll usually let you upgrade within the month your upgrade is due.

ROM
    4.1.2 Cyanogen

Quote Originally Posted by erwaso View Post
    Call today, they'll usually let you upgrade within the month your upgrade is due.
    They stopped doing this, I tried several times and was told no.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by daflake View Post
    They stopped doing this, I tried several times and was told no.
    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    My wife's upgrade date was Nov 9, I ordered her phone Nov 1 and got it the 3rd. Gotta get the right person on the phone.

ROM
    4.1.2 Cyanogen

My wife's upgrade date was Nov 9, I ordered her phone Nov 1 and got it the 3rd. Gotta get the right person on the phone.
    Tried 2 stores and 4 calls in and was told nope each time and I was less than 30 days out. I think the days of early upgrades are coming to an end. You must have gotten lucky.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

They would have let me upgrade there in the store that day. But, I was not going to pay $199 for an S3. If I'm going to pay that much for a phone, I'll wait until my renewal date and get a Note 2 for not that much more. Amazon has it for $249 right now. Or, if I decide to go with the S3, they have it listed at $99. After the run-around I'd gotten, I'm not going to be paying premium prices for a phone.

This is old, but an FYI, on Black Friday they let me upgrade 1.5 months early because I wanted to buy one of their web only Black Friday specials.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung S3