Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By unglued94ta
  • 1 Post By cgardnervt
  • 1 Post By dchawk81
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1, 4.0.4, 4.0.4

Default The thing you never hear att advertise but should

In the last 4.5 months att has expanded roughly 1500 sq miles of edge network to Hspa+ in the rural area of south east Kansas I live in. What is Verizon doing to upgrade their dreadfully slow 3G? Nothing. At least att is building out 4G to places that won't get lte anytime soon.

Sorry, just had to get on my soap box for a while.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums
    cgardnervt likes this.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Default Re: The thing you never hear att advertise but should

Quote Originally Posted by unglued94ta View Post
    In the last 4.5 months att has expanded roughly 1500 sq miles of edge network to Hspa+ in the rural area of south east Kansas I live in. What is Verizon doing to upgrade their dreadfully slow 3G? Nothing. At least att is building out 4G to places that won't get lte anytime soon.

Sorry, just had to get on my soap box for a while.

Good to know but the fact still remains...No one cares about HSPA+. I mean its good enough for me and I love it! But its all about who has the best 4G LTE coverage when it comes to commercials.
    Thanked by:
    unglued94ta likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1, 4.0.4, 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    Good to know but the fact still remains...No one cares about HSPA+. I mean its good enough for me and I love it! But its all about who has the best 4G LTE coverage when it comes to commercials.
    True. As far as marketing goes, LTE is what sells, but more than likely, most people watching a YouTube video, won't notice their phone switched from lte to h+

Pretty sure the network speeds in the rural areas of southeast Kansas aren't going to get much play nationally, no matter who's building what

To see carrier coverage you can go to: CellReception.com put your zipcode in and it will show you the number of towers mapped out for each carrier. If that helps.
    Thanked by:

Nobody cares about HSPA+ anymore. Sorry Dorothy.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1, 4.0.4, 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by dchawk81 View Post
    Nobody cares about HSPA+ anymore. Sorry Dorothy.
    Except for everyone who lives in rural America. Please keep your unconstructive comments to yourself.

Except for everyone who lives in rural America. Please keep your unconstructive comments to yourself.

Chill out, amigo. I AM in rural America by cell coverage standards. I'm merely referring to advertising per your thread (and making a Wizard of Oz pun while I'm at it).

HSPA+ is still 3G. AT&T is not going to brag about 3G when LTE is the new hot commodity. It doesn't even matter that HSPA+ is more than enough for pretty much everyone. It's always about newer, better, faster, sexier.

To you it's awesome to get HSPA+ and I totally get that. However, it would be colossally stupid for AT&T or any other carrier to brag about expanding last generation's tech. As far as the public is concerned, all they'd be doing is running a big fat pink highlighter over how far behind they were.
    bigdaddytee likes this.

Chill out, amigo. I AM in rural America by cell coverage standards. I'm merely referring to advertising per your thread (and making a Wizard of Oz pun while I'm at it).

HSPA+ is still 3G. AT&T is not going to brag about 3G when LTE is the new hot commodity. It doesn't even matter that HSPA+ is more than enough for pretty much everyone. It's always about newer, better, faster, sexier.

To you it's awesome to get HSPA+ and I totally get that. However, it would be colossally stupid for AT&T or any other carrier to brag about expanding last generation's tech. As far as the public is concerned, all they'd be doing is running a big fat pink highlighter over how far behind they were.
    With a ton of rural areas still on EDGE network...expanding to HSPA in those areas is a HUGE deal. Verizon doesn't cover those areas at all let alone 2G so if they can bring 3.5G to those who barely have a data connection I would say that's a big step for them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by brkaras View Post
    With a ton of rural areas still on EDGE network...expanding to HSPA in those areas is a HUGE deal. Verizon doesn't cover those areas at all let alone 2G so if they can bring 3.5G to those who barely have a data connection I would say that's a big step for them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Yes, it's a big step. But that's not the spirit of this thread. This thread asks why AT&T doesn't advertise it, or rather proposes that they should.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1, 4.0.4, 4.0.4

Yes, it's a big step. But that's not the spirit of this thread. This thread asks why AT&T doesn't advertise it, or rather proposes that they should.
    It's all good bro. I know the 4 guys in the engineering department with me where I work were all jumping for joy to get H+. I think lots of people would be happy to know rural America hasn't been forgotten by ATT.

It's all good bro. I know the 4 guys in the engineering department with me where I work were all jumping for joy to get H+. I think lots of people would be happy to know rural America hasn't been forgotten by ATT.

I can't disagree with that. I'm not on an HSPA+ phone but I do get the fastest speeds available to it at home but when I venture out for shoots, I'm sometimes stuck with unusable EDGE. I wouldn't want to be on EDGE as a matter of course.

good to know. with att being #2 im sure they are trying to branch out to become the widespread masters or the mock 4g speeds a.k.a. H+ which is perfectly fine by me.

One of the reasons I switched to ATT is the HSPA+ backhaul. Falling back to HSPA+ is far more desirable than falling back to 3G.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Phoneguy108 View Post
    One of the reasons I switched to ATT is the HSPA+ backhaul. Falling back to HSPA+ is far more desirable than falling back to 3G.
    The reason I switched was Sprint kicked me off for excessive roaming because I couldn't tolerate their 3G any longer. I'm too cheap for Verizon and T-Mobile is EDGE here.

Technically I'm not even AT&T but rather on a Mooching Virtual Network Operator.