Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lanhoj
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Default Google Voice can get you free unlimited texting! (With very little data usage.)

As I'm sure you all know!
    I have been testing it this past week. An I must say I love it so far. Google Voice mail is nice and the call forwarding is great too! Plus it will get rid of the need to tell everyone my personal cell phone number. It gives you more power over your phone! Plus it will save $20 a month for the unlimited texting plan on att. So over all I love it so far.
    Has anyone else used it yet? I'm gonna start my new blog soon and I might be blogging about my time with Google Voice. Has anyone else done this? Know any tricks or tips? The only thing I miss is pop up messages from GO SMS PRO! Otherwise I will take my $20 savings and run! I'm sure there is a way to bring back popup messaging and quick reply windows.
    lets hear your opinion! Have you took the jump or even thought about it?

Default Re: Google Voice can get you free unlimited texting! (With very little data usage.)

Ya I love it...only wish it supported MMS.
    Other than that it's awesome!
    Also much appreciate the Visual Voicemail it provides.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Google Voice can get you free unlimited texting! (With very little data usage.)

I thought about making my GV# my primary number but as Lanhoj said, GV doesn't support MMS
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."

Global Posts
    1,509 Global Posts
    ROM
    JEDI MASTER

Cant you still use npa-nxx-xxxx at carrierX.net for receiving/sending mms that counts as email?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums
    so little to learn and so much time - wait.....reverse that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhoj View Post
    Ya I love it...only wish it supported MMS.
    Other than that it's awesome!
    Also much appreciate the Visual Voicemail it provides.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Ouch I didn't know Google voice didn't allow MMS. Well that's out the Window lol :P

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Ouch I didn't know Google voice didn't allow MMS. Well that's out the Window lol :P

There are rumors that Google Voice will support it soon. But then again how much do you really use it? Plus all my friends have Smartphones so they can just email it to me. I also hear if they send you a photo it will forward it to your email address too is my understand. I have not personally tried this but I will try it and report back my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    There are rumors that Google Voice will support it soon. But then again how much do you really use it? Plus all my friends have Smartphones so they can just email it to me. I also hear if they send you a photo it will forward it to your email address too is my understand. I have not personally tried this but I will try it and report back my findings.
    I use MMS kind of often. This month I used it somewhat less..

Me and friends always send pics a lot and screen shots .

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google Voice can get you free unlimited texting! (With very little data usage.)-uploadfromtaptalk1362431037524.jpg  
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    I use MMS kind of often. This month I used it somewhat less..

Me and friends always send pics a lot and screen shots .

Ahh wow! Then I can see your issue! GV may not work for you. I also checked to see if GV supports MMS and no go. I guess with Google integration with Sprint you can. Then it will forward it to your gmail account. But for me I never use MMS so I'd rather save the $25 a month! :P

I think all the rumors have pointed completely the opposite, that MMS is nowhere near coming to GVoice anytime soon.

If someone MMS messages you a picture, nothing happens. Neither you nor the sender get any notification of its failed delivery. The only workaround is for Sprint users, and I believe all it lets you do is forward all messages to your email (and from there you can use filters to single out pictures from standard SMS messages).

Point is, MMS just isn't a reality when using Google Voice.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Google Voice Blog: First steps Towards MMS support

While its old news and information they are still interested in trying to make it work. So who knows. But for me personally its a small issue on the scale of things. I'd rather save my self the $25 a month for unlimited text on my att phone bill. If they can get it to work one day...Then great! Its not I wont lose sleep over it. I still have email as an option.