A not so 'funny' chat with AT&T online chat person

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I am looking to port 4 lines to AT&T. My employer has a discount program, so I went to the link for the Premier site to take a look at my options. I still have a month left to go on my VZ contract, but I thought I would see if AT&T would help with my activation fees. I have no problem waiting until contract termination, but if I could do it now, why not! Here is a copy of the conversation:

Please wait for a chat agent to respond. Your current wait time is ?0? minutes.
You are now chatting with 'Mary Jean F.'
Mary Jean F.: Welcome to AT&T Premier Support. I am reviewing your pre-chat questionnaire and will be right with you.
Mary Jean F.: How may I assist you today with your questions on ordering new service?
you: I am wanting to port over 4 lines from VZW. One would be a new GS4. When will the 32gb be available? The other question is, would there be any consideration to waive activation fees to move all 4 lines? I have 1 month left on VZ contract and want to offset the ETF a bit.
Mary Jean F.: We have not heard from you. Do you wish to continue the chat?
Mary Jean F.: I will be happy to assist you with your concerns about ordering new service.
Mary Jean F.: Am I chatting with Joe?
you: Yes
Mary Jean F.: Thank you. The standard activation fee is $36. To view the discounts available to you through your company, click the Current Offers, Online Offers or Available Offers link at the top of the Premier website. If the activation fee is waived via your discount program, it would be stated on your Current Offers, Online Offers or Available Offers page; otherwise, it would be charged.
Mary Jean F.: Unfortunately, we do not have a timeframe for this Samsung 64GB to be released. Please continue to check our website. Once it is officially released, it will be available for purchase.
you: It is not waived per the program. What I am asking is, is there any consideration given when porting 4 lines from your biggest competitor? I would like to move my service, but $144 is a lot of money.
Mary Jean F.: I understand. However, I do apologize, but we can't make any changes if your company does not allow the activation fee waiver through your Online Offers. Don't worry, the activation fee will be charged on your first monthly bill.
Mary Jean F.: How is the process so far?
you: So what you are saying is don't worry you will wait a month before charging me. Are you kidding? The process is not good. I think I will go somewhere else if you are unwilling to work with me. My company does not decide what ATT will charge. ATT does!!!
Mary Jean F.: I do apologize. We appreciate your business with AT&T and would hate to lose you as a customer over this. You may contact Customer Care at 1-800-331-0500, 24/7 to discuss any other options that may be available to you as a loyal customer.
you: Perhaps you should take the time to read what you are sending out before sending it. I am NOT a loyal customer yet, nor do you have my business. Thank you for your time!

I know I am chatting with someone half way around the world, and honestly I didn't expect to get the answer I was looking for, but I found it comical how she responded. I believe going to a corporate store once my contract is up will probably result in the activation fee waiver. Does anyone know if AT&T is willing to do that?

jusmebabe

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Demanding a waiver of fees is a good way to look like an arse. So what you have 4 lines pay the fee or keep moving.
Pick up the phone ask them if they can wave the fee. I did that with my 2 lines and she waived both fees. I have other services with them so that may have helped. Getting an attitude will get you nothing as you found out.:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I believe going to a corporate store once my contract is up will probably result in the activation fee waiver. Does anyone know if AT&T is willing to do that?
I know that Verizon absolutely will not do that anymore and has removed the ability for store and phone reps to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if ATT would not, either.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Demanding a waiver of fees is a good way to look like an arse. So what you have 4 lines pay the fee or keep moving.
Pick up the phone ask them if they can wave the fee. I did that with my 2 lines and she waived both fees. I have other services with them so that may have helped. Getting an attitude will get you nothing as you found out.:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Wow, I guess you can't read either! I never demanded a fee waiver, what I asked was consideration. What I got was a BS canned response, where the rep didn't even pay attention to what she was writing or copying to me. For example, asking me how the process is so far was a ridiculous thing to ask given the conversation to that point. That's what got me worked up.

I know for a fact that they can waive fees because I have talked to an in-store rep and a phone rep and they both told me at one point that they would do it because I would be porting 4 lines. I had already explained to them at the time that I would be waiting until my contract was up and they understood when making the offer. I was simply trying to find out if it could be done on the Premier side of things so that my discount would start right away versus having to request it after setting up service.

FWIW I have gotten VZ to waive them also.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If we were talking about you bringing 4,000 or 40,000 lines of service from Verizon to AT&T I'd expect them to consider a waiver, even though it's 1.4 million in additional cost to them to do so, the revenue should eat that expense up. For 4 lines on a customer that wants to switch anyways, nope. Just my opinion, I'm not suggesting AT&T believes the way I do.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Not lately, you haven't. They no longer do it. No exceptions. The in store and phone reps don't have the ability to do it anymore.

Yeah, the last time I did it with VZ was in October. Can't say since then.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I got my activations waived awhile ago but they could have changed it. I'm using AT&T and they were very nice and willing to do it by just calling customer service. Just don't be an arse and they will probably be willing to help you out. Not saying you were being mean at all, just letting you know when talking to customer service. They will understand :D

I know they can't do it in store for sure but customer service did.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Fees cannot be waived at corporate stores anymore. If you get it as part of an employee discount, it will take 2 bill cycles to get the credit.

Sent from my HTC first using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463