AT&T Unite LTE Hot spot

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have experience with using the AT&T Unite LTE Hotspot by Sierra Wireless?

I wanted to know how strong and consistent a signal it puts out.

Sent from my LG-E970 using AC Forums mobile app

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: I bought one off contract for $149.99 with the 10GB/month for $80 data only plan.

Considering Comcast charges $70/month for 300GB it's a total rip off BUT:

1. I was not charged an activation fee.
2. I have LTE at the house and am getting faster connection speeds than I ever did with Comcass.
3. Because I did this off contract, I can cancel at any time with no ETF.
4. AT&T does not bill ahead like Comcass does.
5. I hate Comcass.
6. The device is the size of my phone and can run on a battery. We can take it in the car allowing my son to stream Netflix using our Wi-Fi only Kindle Fire.
7. It's summer and we live by the beach so we tend to spend less time in front of screens.

Ultimately, we will likely go back to Comcass. We were averaging 150GB/month with them which would cost us $220 ON TOP OF our current cell bill.

We had a TV/Internet bundle that was costing us around $130/month. So from a purely monetary perspective, so long as we stay under that we can save money by comparison.

I'll have to see how this actually works out.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the update. I considered using a hotspot as a home internet but all the downloading that goes on it wouldnt work lol. We have the share everything plan and use our phones as hotspots for the ipad/nexus7 when traveling.

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The device itself works well. Like I said, we have LTE at the house so the connection speeds are great. It puts out a strong enough signal to leave in one place but since it is so small and can run on a battery, it's easy enough to put it next to our near whatever you are currently using.

The ONLY drawback is it is not cost effective. AT&T is stupid. If it allowed unlimited data for its hot spots, it would decimate the cable broadband providers.

$80 a month for unlimited 18-40 Mbps? I'm in. Of course I am in a rural area with limited gastric on the tower nearby. AT&T's network could never handle millions or even thousands of users all using a hotspot for all of their Internet needs.

Although, I remember reading something about a new technology that would allow way more high speed traffic at once across wireless networks without sacrificing performance. I'll have to find the link.