Question about cross upgrade rules

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have this question about cross upgrades: I'm on a family plan with AT&T. My partner uses a standard flip phone and I use a smart phone. I have one year left on my contract but my partner is eligible for an upgrade. Can I use my partner's upgrade-eligibility to get a new subsidized smart phone, or would this entail that my partner needs to switch to a smartphone plan?

I spoke with AT&T about this but the representative didn't understand the question.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I have this question about cross upgrades: I'm on a family plan with AT&T. My partner uses a standard flip phone and I use a smart phone. I have one year left on my contract but my partner is eligible for an upgrade. Can I use my partner's upgrade-eligibility to get a new subsidized smart phone, or would this entail that my partner needs to switch to a smartphone plan?

I spoke with AT&T about this but the representative didn't understand the question.

If you talk to the right Rep, they can do the cross upgrade without your partner needing to get data. It's attached to the number so they wont have to add it to his/her plan.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
If you talk to the right Rep, they can do the cross upgrade without your partner needing to get data. It's attached to the number so they wont have to add it to his/her plan.

Yeah I spoke to two yesterday and they both confirmed that this is possible. This is truly an incredible price advantage, essentially negating all reasons for switching to T-Mobile's plans, and it will be the key reason I am staying with AT&T.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I spoke to two yesterday and they both confirmed that this is possible. This is truly an incredible price advantage, essentially negating all reasons for switching to T-Mobile's plans, and it will be the key reason I am staying with AT&T.

actually, i stay because of a 30% corp discount lol. plus LTE isnt flooded like verizon out here

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I do this all the time. What happens is they will turn on data to do the upgrade because their system has to, then they will turn it off. Really simple to do and I have it setup so I can upgrade every year basically.