What are all BYOP Options on AT&T?

BlackLS3

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I have finally made the decision to cut ties with Verizon, buy my own un-subsidized hardware, and go with AT&T month-to-month when the new Nexus comes out. I intend to get my wife and I each a new Nexus and walk into an AT&T store for SIMs. It looks like each of us getting a the $60 GoPhone plan would be pretty straight forward, but my question is do I have the option to go with my own phone and a post-paid plan month-to-month as well? What would the process be for that?

I think I'm pretty sold on AT&T because I want to have some level of customer service if needed, but does anybody have suggestions for other carriers that I should look at? I looked at Straight Talk but I'm turned off by their data rules.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you can bring your own phones to AT&T and get a postpaid month-to-month plan. I would go into a corporate AT&T store to do this, as authorized resellers are incentivized to get customers to sign contracts. However, because the monthly plan is the same rate whether or not you get a subsidized device, you could consider the GoPhone plans if you are bringing your own device. The caveat here is that I don't think that AT&T offers LTE speeds on the GoPhone plans, which may or may not be an issue depending on which devices you will use.

As far as other recommendations, if T-Mobile has good coverage where you live, work and play, this is an option for you. T-Mobile does have a lower monthly price that is just for service. The phone "subsidy" is not built into T-Mobile's monthly plan prices but are offered separately, if needed.

If you didn't like Straight Talk's data rules, you probably wouldn't like the other MVNOs such as Red Pocket or H2O Wireless, either, but those are other options.

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you can bring your own phones to AT&T and get a postpaid month-to-month plan. I would go into a corporate AT&T store to do this, as authorized resellers are incentivized to get customers to sign contracts. However, because the monthly plan is the same rate whether or not you get a subsidized device, you could consider the GoPhone plans if you are bringing your own device. The caveat here is that I don't think that AT&T offers LTE speeds on the GoPhone plans, which may or may not be an issue depending on which devices you will use.

As far as other recommendations, if T-Mobile has good coverage where you live, work and play, this is an option for you. T-Mobile does have a lower monthly price that is just for service. The phone "subsidy" is not built into T-Mobile's monthly plan prices but are offered separately, if needed.

If you didn't like Straight Talk's data rules, you probably wouldn't like the other MVNOs such as Red Pocket or H2O Wireless, either, but those are other options.

GoPhone offers LTE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21