Knowledge of AT&T employees

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm not trying to start a war. I just simply want to state some observations I made while at my local ATT store yesterday. I spent a good two hours checking out the one mini, Moto X & galaxy mega. While I was there two particular situations caught my attention...

The first was a man asking about the s4 active. He wanted to know the difference between the regular s4 and s4 active. She stated both were identical except for the waterproof functionality. We know that's not the case. While the changes are not huge it's worth mentioning to the customer. Also she claimed it was submersible up to 3 feet for 30 minutes and that she hasn't had any returns. She also said if you have any water damage it will be covered under warranty..
Another issue came up when a lady was checking out the mega. She asked some specs. He stared it was a Quad core with a 1080p display and a 13mp camera. He basically told her it was an s4 with a larger screen.

Now while I understand it's there job to sell phones, I was still highly disappointed to see them feeding the end consumer false information.

I've been a loyal att customer for years. In fact they are the only provider I have used. I just wish they could spend more time educating the sales staff.

Anyone else experience anything similar to this?

Sent from my HTC One

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm not trying to start a war. I just simply want to state some observations I made while at my local ATT store yesterday. I spent a good two hours checking out the one mini, Moto X & galaxy mega. While I was there two particular situations caught my attention...

The first was a man asking about the s4 active. He wanted to know the difference between the regular s4 and s4 active. She stated both were identical except for the waterproof functionality. We know that's not the case. While the changes are not huge it's worth mentioning to the customer. Also she claimed it was submersible up to 3 feet for 30 minutes and that she hasn't had any returns. She also said if you have any water damage it will be covered under warranty..
Another issue came up when a lady was checking out the mega. She asked some specs. He stared it was a Quad core with a 1080p display and a 13mp camera. He basically told her it was an s4 with a larger screen.

Now while I understand it's there job to sell phones, I was still highly disappointed to see them feeding the end consumer false information.

I've been a loyal att customer for years. In fact they are the only provider I have used. I just wish they could spend more time educating the sales staff.

Sent from my HTC One

1) Some people are just dumb, no matter how much training they get.
2) Just like you stated, they're there to sell phones, not to be intellectuals (even though knowing more accurate information will do nothing but help their sales).

Photon4glover

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my HTC One

Unfortunatly I've seen same thing.. I'm guessing it's just buisness

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Yup. In the end it's about selling the phone that the customer wants. For instance the one lady didn't want to get the mega unless it had a Quad core and 1080. He insisted it did.

Also when they asked how much storage the active had she said 48gb. She's obviously talking about 16internal plus a 32gb memory card.

It's just unfortunate. But in the end I guess they just want to sell you a phone as quick as they can.

One other thing I forgot to mention. A guy was asking him how the galaxy mega was. He claimed it was great. Then the customer asked if he had any returns on it. He said oh no none at all and I've probably sold a hundred of these myself. The phone just came out yesterday!

Just frustrating to see. Sure would upset me if I was sold a phone on the assumption it had 48gb and then come to find out it only has 16gb.

Sent from my HTC One

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Wow, this is bad. I don't think that the sales reps in my local stores are like this but I rarely ask these types of questions, so I don't know.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I worked in wireless for years both on the service side a well as sales and many reps don't know anything when it comes to devices. They have no reason to learn it. The sales pressure is so high that they could care less what device you get as long as it's new service or an upgrade. They will push the devices with the most accessory options because that's another way they make money. Lying or "stretching the truth" on the specs of a phone is nothing new, they will tell the customer it fixes their coffee as long as they buy it.

Sent from my Silver HTC ONE fully converted to the Google Play Edition

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I worked in wireless for years both on the service side a well as sales and many reps don't know anything when it comes to devices. They have no reason to learn it. The sales pressure is so high that they could care less what device you get as long as it's new service or an upgrade. They will push the devices with the most accessory options because that's another way they make money. Lying or "stretching the truth" on the specs of a phone is nothing new, they will tell the customer it fixes their coffee as long as they buy it.

I am not condoning it by any means.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is why I tell sales people to go away from me as I shop.. I know they don't know anything at all (usually) and would rather them leave me be. Not trying to be rude it's just I do my own homework.

When I walked in to sign up for Tmobile I shocked the guy. I walked in and he goes can I help you? I said... "yes I'd like the simple choice plan with unlimited talk, text, and i'd like to add unlimited high speed data. I also would like the same deal as online, if possible, for the no activation fee and also I will be porting my number over from Sprint. I would like a silver HTC One that I will be paying full price for. "

He was just like oh... Well... Okay that made it easy. :D.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think you're expecting too much from a salesperson whose main goal is to make the sale. This isn't exclusive to the wireless industry.

Princesa

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
This is why I tell sales people to go away from me as I shop.. I know they don't know anything at all (usually) and would rather them leave me be. Not trying to be rude it's just I do my own homework.

When I walked in to sign up for Tmobile I shocked the guy. I walked in and he goes can I help you? I said... "yes I'd like the simple choice plan with unlimited talk, text, and i'd like to add unlimited high speed data. I also would like the same deal as online, if possible, for the no activation fee and also I will be porting my number over from Sprint. I would like a silver HTC One that I will be paying full price for. "

He was just like oh... Well... Okay that made it easy. :D.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

I do the same exact thing!! lol I prefer to do my own homework too then deal with the nonsense...wich is why after almost 4yrsI left AT&T in August,not to mention that I had charges on my bill that could never be explained and nothing would get fixed. As much I enjoyed AT&T's service phone wise I never had complaints but the customer service is a joke imo there seems to be a major lack of knowledge with a lot of their reps.

I moved on to T-Mobile and did the same thing too,told them what I wanted and made it easier for the rep and was on my way. Plus it was nice to deal with a rep who knew what they were talking about.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad