Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

Default AT&T basic smartphone data plan - swapping phones

I posted this over at imore, so if that is an issue a mod can delete this. I was hoping to broaden my audience.

I have searched the internet and have found mixed results for an answer I am looking for. Some say its possible some say its not.

So here is the situation. I currently have a non-iphone data plan. This allows me to swap my sim card to any of my phones at any point. Android, windows phone, blackberry, etc. What I would like to do is get an iPhone 4S and use the same data plan. Just switch the sim out.

I have found people saying they did this without issues and I have also found people saying that your data plan will automatically be changed any time you switch from a non iphone data plan to an iphone.

It seems that some people have had success if they have an iPhone data plan and put the sim in a non iphone device. Its hard to say as I have not have much success finding a solid answer...

So now I am trying to find someone that is actually doing this and who could give me an answer.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: AT&T basic smartphone data plan - swapping phones

May I ask why you don't want to switch to an iPhone data plan? It would be the same price as any other smartphone data plan. Now if you are speaking of the data plan for basic phones, AT&T's system would eventually detect that you are using a smartphone no matter which platform you are on and switch you to a smartphone data plan. For some, it only takes a matter of weeks. Mine was switched after several months, though.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

I guess I shouldn't have said "basic." I meant the standard smart phone data plan. Basically I don't want to use it because I have a 2GB plan that is grand fathered and I get a discount on top of it. They actually stopped discounts on data with corporate accounts.

You should still be able to change data plan types with a grandfathered data plan. I don't know if the 2GB plan would be treated differently than the unlimited data plan (also grandfathered). I have changed devices many times and went from an iPhone data plan to a smartphone data plan to a BlackBerry data plan and back to a smartphone data plan. I've maintained unlimited data and my corporate discount through all changes.