Any changes on our bill after a contract ends?

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
My wife & I are on a FamilyTalk plan. We each have non-shared, unlimited data. When a contract on one of our lines ends, should anything in our monthly bill change? Is there a subsidy or any other fees taken on with the contract for which we should no longer be billed as a result of the contract ending? Should I call AT&T on anything?

Would anything else change when going from contact to monthly? Thanks for any help.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I'm sure AT&T won't just hand me money at the end of a contract, but is there a possible adjustment I can have done by calling them?

I've seen people posting that all or part of the subsidized cost of a phone is somehow rolled into or hidden in the monthly payments for the duration of a contract. If that's the case, customers s/b entitled to some sort of adjustment when the contract is up.

Hopefully someone making these claims can chime in.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

joebloggs13

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely agree with you on that. I am sick and tired of large telecom companies gouging customers.

Sent from my SGH-I717M using AC Forums mobile app

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I'm sure AT&T won't just hand me money at the end of a contract, but is there a possible adjustment I can have done by calling them?

I've seen people posting that all or part of the subsidized cost of a phone is somehow rolled into or hidden in the monthly payments for the duration of a contract. If that's the case, customers s/b entitled to some sort of adjustment when the contract is up.

Hopefully someone making these claims can chime in.

I understand, but AT&T doesn't currently do that. T-Mobile did lower their rates and charging for devices separately, but Verizon and AT&T's response was both to allow people to pay more for their devices without lowering the rates for service.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking something can possibly be negotiated, especially for long time customers.

A long time but off-contract subscriber posted here that he turned down free and "discounted" phones if he signed a contract. Instead, he was able to negotiate a $240 credit in exchange for a new two-year commitment. Granted, it's not the same situation, and he ended up with a new contract, but I think it's worth it to scrutinize and ask the question.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking something can possibly be negotiated, especially for long time customers.

A long time but off-contract subscriber posted here that he turned down free and "discounted" phones if he signed a contract. Instead, he was able to negotiate a $240 credit in exchange for a new two-year commitment. Granted, it's not the same situation, and he ended up with a new contract, but I think it's worth it to scrutinize and ask the question.

Interesting. Much more profit in waiting for a $99 iPhone 5s sale and then ebaying it for $750 :) That ought to be the standard AT&T upgrade path. Buy iPhone with contract subsidy for dirt cheap, ebay it, buy a new Nexus 5, pocket $100-$300 extra (depending on ebay sale price) lol.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, he said the CS person even suggested he could flip the new phone, but I guess the customer wasn't interested in dealing with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol