1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Start using unlocked phone while still on contract.

Situation: I need a new phone desperately, my contract has expired. I would really love to get the Nexus5 but it is too expensive for me right now. I am willing to sign a new contract with att.

Question: If I was to sign a new contract with att and get the moto x (which I could basically end up getting free or for $50 for the 32gb version after my motorola tradeup program reimbursement), and then a couple of months from now buy the unlocked nexus 5, can I just swap the sim card (or whatever I would need to do to activate it) and start using the nexus 5 instead of the moto x? Based on what I have read I can do this.

Question 2: If I can do this, what are my options with the moto x? Can I sell it? Can it be unlocked? Someone else on my plan also needs a new phone and is eligible for an upgrade, can they begin using the phone?

If I could sell the moto x unlocked and get $150-$200 out of it that would put a nice dent in the cost of the Nexus 5.

I would appreciate any clarification. I am new to the forum so I hope I have submitted this in the right place. Sorry if this is duplicated.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Start using unlocked phone while still on contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Sebastian View Post
    Situation: I need a new phone desperately, my contract has expired. I would really love to get the Nexus5 but it is too expensive for me right now. I am willing to sign a new contract with att.

Question: If I was to sign a new contract with att and get the moto x (which I could basically end up getting free or for $50 for the 32gb version after my motorola tradeup program reimbursement), and then a couple of months from now buy the unlocked nexus 5, can I just swap the sim card (or whatever I would need to do to activate it) and start using the nexus 5 instead of the moto x? Based on what I have read I can do this.

Question 2: If I can do this, what are my options with the moto x? Can I sell it? Can it be unlocked? Someone else on my plan also needs a new phone and is eligible for an upgrade, can they begin using the phone?

If I could sell the moto x unlocked and get $150-$200 out of it that would put a nice dent in the cost of the Nexus 5.

I would appreciate any clarification. I am new to the forum so I hope I have submitted this in the right place. Sorry if this is duplicated.
    Thanks!
    I have used my iphone 5s and moto x for awhile now and I am able to swap the sim back and forth between the two. You could do that with the nexus 5 BUT the nexus 5 uses a micro sim and the moto x and iphone 5s use a nano sim. I did buy a nexus 5 and will be using it with my nano sim but I had to buy an adapter that allows the nano sim to be use din the nexus 5 micro sim slot. To be clear, buy the moto x now use it until you get the nexus 5, go into att store once you get the nexus 5 and get a new sim card for it.

If they are eligible to upgrade they can still just switch over to your moto x if you decide to go that route, they will still have an upgrade to use. You could also just sell your moto x and have them use their upgrade to get a phone. That is completely up to you and if you want to have a new contract on that line. Just so you know a moto X with 32gb even if locked onto att can get you 450-500$ if you sell it.